What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 teams for World Cup

carlnz

Bench
It looks like it will be a 10 team world cup...12 at the most. It will cost $2 Million for 10 teams and $3 Million for 12 teams.

Teams who will be automaticlly in the WWC are:

AUS
NZ
ENG
FRANCE
and Maybe PNG

The rest will be determined by qualifiers.

Good to see the are planning this out ...that $2 million figure includes everything..plane tickets..hotels...food...insurance...

Broncodroid

Juniors
Rugby League Review is the source nqboy.

In addition to carlnz post, "The European Nations Cup, Mediterranean Cup and Pacifiv Cup are being looked at possible qualifying stages. As many as 26 countries to be involved".

The above in itself I find very exciting for International Rugby League.

carlnz

Bench
Out standing readin in this months copy...its full of match reports on the International games in the last couple of months!

Yeah it is a good read (even if some of the reporting is a bit dodgy).

I still don't think GB should be broken up. If it is GB then more other nations get a crack.
Also working out a good draw for a 10 team comp is near impossible. You don't want the same as in 1995 with groups of 4,3 and 3.
But you also don't want two 5 team groups, because there will be too many meaningless games after 2-3 rounds.

taipan

Referee
RLR usually gets it right,so dont doubt thenumbers. Still from a marketing,draw and
better impression viewpoint 12 would be ideal.However if 12 means losing money then it has to be 10.The last WC lack of profits should be a lesson to all.
Meantime get the community involved,schools and junior league clubs and use sign boards at entrances to cities and airports advtg the event. TV advtg is very expensive,keep it to a minimum and keep it simple.Use a popular current local artist and have a theme song such as union does (gulp) in the last world cup.Not a head banger or rapper or past it Rolf Harris but one who appeals to all age groups.
Kylie appeals to a fair whack acroos the board,I know I know not everyone likes her.Could you imagine her singing "hit me with your best shot "or I'm still standing'
or how about" its real contact baby thats what i want"
throwing that body around at the opening ceremony.The mind boggles. ;-)

the holy grail by hunters and collectors

Been done by the AFL. Also I don't think the IRL has the money to afford Kylie (thank God).
A good Aussie band like Powderfinger, who are liked by all basically, and are from Brisbane so would be into RL.

As long as it isn't Vanessa Amorisi (absolutely everybody). that girl just sings that at opening ceremony's for a living.

griff

Bench
Where did those $$$ figures come from? I don't get how it could cost $2m for 10 teams and an extra $1m for just two more teams.

A 12 team comp might mean more games, but that would also be a lot of extra revenue, not just extra costs.

In fact the more teams, the lower the marginal cost of each additional team.

screeny

Bench
Exactly Griff, that was my immediate thought when I read the figures. However, with Live and Carr at the abacus perhaps their calculations led them to those figures so they must be right.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
10 teams? WTF???

Australia
New Zealand
England
France
Wales
Papua New Guinea
United States of America
Lebanon
Russia
Serbia

That's already 10 nations without including teams like the Cook islands, Tonga, Fiji, Morrocco, Ireland, Scotland etc.

Should be minimum of 12 teams. The reason the last WC lost money was because it was so badly promoted. The RLIF should have prelimenery ad campaigns, anthems, draws etc etc by the end of 2005. A solid 2 years of promoting the sh*t out of this tournament will get people onterested no doubt. We must follow Union lead.

Red Bear

Referee
You dont have ireland you die. Ireland were recently runners up in the Euro Nations and will be great to have out here in 2008.

screeny

Bench
That's the beauty of qualifiers - no one can complain and everybody is included in the World Cup in a meaningful way, not via weak invites as per last time.

inertia666

Juniors
i presume the extra 1 million comes from the fact you have to hire out stadiums , so adding two more teams means quite a few more games. or are stadium costs not included?

if its a 10 team thing we must have GB to free up spaces for other sides.

screeny

Bench
inertia666 said:
i presume the extra 1 million comes from the fact you have to hire out stadiums , so adding two more teams means quite a few more games. or are stadium costs not included?

if its a 10 team thing we must have GB to free up spaces for other sides.

But if you've got qualifiers then you're automatically ffreeing up places for other teams as only a certain number from each area can qualify. So perhaps if England are France are certainties only two more from Europe, or three, or whatever qualify.

By playing GB you slap the Irish, Welsh and Scots in the face and tell them the ENC and their hard development grind has all been for nothing.

GB is an absolute non-starter. It makes no sense and will not happen.

inertia666

Juniors
yes qualifying rounds would be a solution to that problem but an invite only world cup would be crap for minor nations if england, scotland , wales and ireland all got the ticket.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Let's assume that say:

AUS
NZ
ENG
FRANCE

Are all automatic qualifiers. That leaves six places available. Hold qualifiers (as broncodroid posted) including say the European Nations Cup, Mediterranean Cup and Pacific Cup.

Let the top side from the Mediterranean get involved, as well as the top two from the European Nations Cup & Pacific Cup. With France and England already in, you'd assume those winning through would be:
- European Nations: Ireland and Wales/Scotland/Russia
- Mediterranean: Lebanon
- Pacific: Fiji and Papua New Guinea

Then one final side from wherever. I'd venture to say USA should get an invite, simply for promotional reasons.

That said, twelve would be a better number, and let in a few emerging nations. Still with New Zealand, England, and Australia all able to win it- and France improving in leaps and bounds (not to mention Lebanon's quality), it could be a really interesting tournament.

Latest posts