What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin’s message to fans after being named Dragons coach
10 hours ago
Ray Hadley
ANTHONY GRIFFINrugby league featuredSt George-Illawarra Dragons
2020-09-07.png

Anthony Griffin says he is honoured to be back coaching after being named as the new head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Ray Hadley revealed the appointment last night on Wide World of Sports.

Mr Griffin told Ray he can’t wait to get started.

“I think my best years are still ahead of me, coaching.”

He’s signed a two-year deal with the club.

“It’s a real humbling experience to be with one of the great sporting brands in Australia, not just rugby league,” he said.

“To be involved with a club like St George Illawarra Dragons – it’s a real privilege.

“And I say that to all of the fans listening out there, I will do my utmost to make sure we build it into a really strong premiership brand.”

Ray said he believed he would make them “better men and better players”.

“I think you deserve the opportunity and I know you’ll make the most of it.”

Press PLAY to hear the full interview

https://www.4bc.com.au/anthony-griffins-message-to-fans-after-being-named-dragons-coach/

getsmarty

Immortal
Episode 34: “As Dragons fans lets get behind the appointment of Hook Griffin”
It's another bumper episode of the Red V Podcast.
We run through the latest Dragons news including the big news of Anthony Griffin's appointment as coach of the Dragons.
Chat with WIN News reporter Corey Hammond about if Griffin is the m,an to lead a St George Illawarra revival
Plus Preview the upcoming clash against Canberra as well as debriefing that tough loss to the Cowboys.
We also have your fan's questions and remember them with Johnny! Subscribe on iTunes, Spotify, Google podcasts and all other podcast providers

https://redvpodcast.podbean.com/e/e...s-get-behind-the-appointment-of-hook-griffin/

https://www.podbean.com/site/EpisodeDownload/PBEAB3185C8VR

Gareth67

First Grade
what about benji, cam Smith, addo carr, fullback sheck from warriors
now we talking or dreaming:p

Bluey buddy, I really do not believe that it is dreaming at least with Smith or Ado Carr , it more a case of the Joint Venture making a solid offer to either one of them . I don’t think that we could accommodate both , but one yes .

I know which of the two I would have , more so to help guide the team around the park and truly give them that competitive edge . One whom , in combination with the new coach would undoubtedly make massive inroads into the way that the Dragons play the game .

Cameron Smith is capable of doing just that and in a very short time . He and Griffin could possibly pull the Dragons up to the top 4 next year . However it would take someone within the J.V. to realize what a massive bonus that would be for the Dragons chances of early success in the ‘ Griffin ‘ era .

There is a spare $1.5 mill. sitting in the Dragons piggy bank . . . .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons hook Anthony Griffin as head coach

Andrew

I’m extremely happy to hear the news that Anthony ‘Hook’ Griffin has been appointed head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons for the next two years. The Dragons got the man they wanted.

Griffin has an established winning record and a no-nonsense reputation. His winning percentages were 53 per cent at Brisbane and 58 per cent at Penrith, plus he did well bringing on the youth at the Panthers.

In the end all the speculation in the media over Wayne Bennett making a comeback was simply that, speculation. Bennett is contracted to Souths until the end of 2021. Craig Fitzgibbon was never going to leave Easts, and I said as much here in June. Flanagan is banned until 2022 and brings a lot of baggage with him.

Anthony Griffin was always the man the club wanted. David Furner was just a contingency in case the club couldn’t come to terms with their first pick.

rugby-league-nrl-anthony-griffin-755x515.jpg

(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

The rush to appoint Griffin this week came after lacklustre performances against the Titans and Cowboys. The pressure to appoint the new head coach increased further after missing out on Christian Welch. Despite putting a significant multi-year offer to Welch, he decided to take unders and stay at Melbourne.

After previously missing out on Corey Harawira-Naera, Adam Elliott, Jack Bird, Moses Suli, Tom Johnstone and John Bateman, the penny has finally dropped that Ian Millward and co can’t get the job done without a head coach in place. Griffin can now start to build a roster he thinks he can win with.

The Dragons have a $1.5 million war chest to spend. There is apparently a 30-man wish list of players from both the NRL and English Super League that will be targeted.

Let’s be honest, the board’s indecisive and negligent action going all the way back to McGregor’s contract extension in 2019 had put the once-mighty Dragons in jeopardy of being stuck in mediocrity. Our farm system alone isn’t enough; we need to attract talent who want to play for the Dragons because we’re seen as a club going places.

Up to now the perception of the club is that we’re a bit of a shambles, and this has made recruitment impossible. Hopefully this will now completely change.

New signings for 2021 so far is zero, while player losses stand at seven. Except for the juniors being promoted to the top 30, there’s plenty of room in the squad for some new blood. After the player losses of Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Tim Lafai, Euan Aitken et cetera there’s plenty of wriggle room in the salary cap for Griffin to work with.

I really hope Dean Young stays on as Griffin’s assistant. Even though Young missed out on the top job this time around, he’ll make a fine coach with more experience.

Shane Flanagan will be leaving at season’s end, his role as Paul McGregor’s mentor obviously superfluous now. The current rumour is he’ll be reuniting with his son at Easts, where he’ll pick up an assistant role.

It’s anticipated Jacob Host will stay – news can’t be too far away – and the club has come to terms with Jack de Belin for 2021 dependant on the outcome of his legal proceedings.

Unless otherwise replaced, the ever-improving Jackson Ford can take over the right edge from Frizell given our depth in the backs. Jordan Pereira is a possible candidate to move to the back row in the same way Ben Creagh did. He runs as hard as any backrower around but lacks the pace of a winger.

I’m hopeful we can pick up a quality prop, an edge forward with some ball-playing skills. We don’t know if Griffin will persevere with Hunt at dummy half, particularly if Hayden Sullivan comes into the side. That will be one of the more interesting storylines.

A couple of veteran backs to help bring the youngsters on and cover for injuries would be great. Are the Morris brothers off contract? What a dream that would be!

Well, it’s a good day to be a Dragons fan. We got the ideal coach who can start to turn things around. Bring on 2021!

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/08/dragons-hook-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Personally I dont give a fig what some journos or commentators think of Griffin...Like most Ive endured almost 10 years of disappointment frustration and misery in general.....so For now Im going to embrace his appointment and look forward to some positive outcomes for my beloved Dragons....yes like all supporters I like to win but if I dont then as long as I know my boys have been given every opportunity to perform at their best , selected on performance and our young up and comers have been given their chance then Thats all I ask.....

hewi

Bench
One thing I liked about him was an acknowledgement that he had some short comings in I think man management that had been exposed at Penrith and he had addressed those issues. If he is a listener and learner and just doesn’t move on people that have good ideas like the peanut did with Holbrook and Demetriou then we are miles in front.

Super Owl

Juniors
https://www.talkingwithtk.com/single-post/Anthony-Griffin

OK - listen to this. Recorded in January.

He's a Rocky born boy who supported the Saints as a boy due to Rocky born product Rod Reddy coming down to Saints.

He was involved with Storm and helped set up Brothers as a feeder club. Helped develop Cronk, Slater and Smith during that time.

A lot of experience with Redcliffe

Was a scout for Broncos before getting into the NRL coaching ranks after Bennett told him that NRL clubs wouldn't pick him up from Redcliffe no matter how many comps he won.

Enjoyable listening:

In this podcast
2:05 – Welcome Anthony Griffin

2:50 – How he became known as ‘Hook’

4:25 – The experience helping to coach Tonga

9:50 – Getting back into coaching

11:25 – Moving into the media

13:44 – Making comments on his former players

17:15 – Growing up in Rockhampton

19:30 – The problem with school sports

25:00 – His playing career

27:29 – His days selling insurance for AMP

30:16 – What made him become a coach

34:30 – What coaching is like in the NRL

35:30 – Nathan Cleary and watching talented players grow.

36:35 – His coaching style

39:00 – First big coaching break

44:10 – Finding Cameron Smith & Cooper Cronk & setting up the Storm development system

47:44 – Learning from Chris Anderson

51:38 – How he ended up at the Broncos

54:04 – Grand Final with the Toyota Cup Broncos

56:50 – Advice from Wayne Bennett

1:01:00 – Getting his first opportunity in first grade

1:04:56 – Gaining the respect of the senior players as a rookie coach

1:06:50 – How you get the players to drive team culture

1:09:14 – A day in the life of a coach

1:11:55 – Struggling at delegation

1:13:56 – How do you replace a team super star

1:16:39 – How to regroup after losing your job

1:17:55 – The attraction of coaching

1:19:00 – Friday night lights

getsmarty

Immortal
Outside voice helps Griffin to Dragons job

St George Illawarra bosses believed players needed a new outside voice before handing Anthony Griffin the reins as the club’s next NRL coach.
Griffin beat out interim coach Dean Young and Newcastle assistant David Furner for the role from 2021, earning himself a two-year deal and his first top job since being sacked by Penrith in 2018.
In doing so, he becomes just the second person with no former playing ties to the club in the past 20 years to hold the role, and is an entirely fresh face at the Dragons.
Since Wayne Bennett’s appointment from the outside broke their title drought in 2010, the Dragons have only hired from within at Wollongong.
Steve Price was Bennett’s right-hand man, and Paul McGregor was Price’s assistant.

If Young had won the race to be next coach, it would have continued that trend at a club that has underperformed for the past two years.
“It was time for an outside voice,” Dragons CEO Ryan Webb told AAP.
“For the playing group to have a new voice we thought was an important thing.”
Crucially, Griffin’s defensive record also helped get him over the line.

While he has never missed the finals as a coach, he has never had a season where his side has conceded 20 points ore more.
“Anthony (also) had some runs on the board. That old school discipline he is known for was appealing,” Webb said.
“Defence is the foundation.
“I don’t think it matters what sport, the successful teams all seem to revolve around one thing. Whether it’s NRL, AFL, basketball or whatever.
“That was definitely on our minds.”

The Dragons hope Young stays on as an assistant, contracted to the club for next year and having worked with Griffin at Tonga.
Webb said he would first allow him to digest the news, and was naturally disappointed but understanding after missing out on the full-time role.
The football department around Griffin could also look different.

The club will likely go down the path of an overarching general manager of football, with Ben Harran expected to get the role.
A stronger emphasis will be put on player development, with Griffin having worked with big nurseries at Penrith and Brisbane in the past.
He will also be given a role in recruitment, with that and team selection forming part of McGregor’s frustrations towards the end of his tenure.

However Webb said it remained to be decided if Griffin’s involvement in recruitment would be more significant than what McGregor was afforded.
“The coach will have a role in that recruitment committee, no doubt,” Webb said.
“And Mary did have a lot of influence. That was probably overstated. He was involved and Griffin will as well.
“We’ll still sort that all out (if it’s more of a role than McGregor). Nothing is set in stone at the moment.”

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/08/outside-voice-helps-griffin-to-dragons-job/

possm

Coach
Personally I dont give a fig what some journos or commentators think of Griffin...Like most Ive endured almost 10 years of disappointment frustration and misery in general.....so For now Im going to embrace his appointment and look forward to some positive outcomes for my beloved Dragons....yes like all supporters I like to win but if I dont then as long as I know my boys have been given every opportunity to perform at their best , selected on performance and our young up and comers have been given their chance then Thats all I ask.....
Griffin only has a two year deal so he will have to get off to a good start and increasingly improve the squad in order to obtain results.

Unlike Meary, Griffin will have to do well in order to gain an extension.