What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

Mjab

Juniors
Outside voice helps Griffin to Dragons job

St George Illawarra bosses believed players needed a new outside voice before handing Anthony Griffin the reins as the club’s next NRL coach.
Griffin beat out interim coach Dean Young and Newcastle assistant David Furner for the role from 2021, earning himself a two-year deal and his first top job since being sacked by Penrith in 2018.
In doing so, he becomes just the second person with no former playing ties to the club in the past 20 years to hold the role, and is an entirely fresh face at the Dragons.
Since Wayne Bennett’s appointment from the outside broke their title drought in 2010, the Dragons have only hired from within at Wollongong.
Steve Price was Bennett’s right-hand man, and Paul McGregor was Price’s assistant.

If Young had won the race to be next coach, it would have continued that trend at a club that has underperformed for the past two years.
“It was time for an outside voice,” Dragons CEO Ryan Webb told AAP.
“For the playing group to have a new voice we thought was an important thing.”
Crucially, Griffin’s defensive record also helped get him over the line.

While he has never missed the finals as a coach, he has never had a season where his side has conceded 20 points ore more.
“Anthony (also) had some runs on the board. That old school discipline he is known for was appealing,” Webb said.
“Defence is the foundation.
“I don’t think it matters what sport, the successful teams all seem to revolve around one thing. Whether it’s NRL, AFL, basketball or whatever.
“That was definitely on our minds.”

The Dragons hope Young stays on as an assistant, contracted to the club for next year and having worked with Griffin at Tonga.
Webb said he would first allow him to digest the news, and was naturally disappointed but understanding after missing out on the full-time role.
The football department around Griffin could also look different.

The club will likely go down the path of an overarching general manager of football, with Ben Harran expected to get the role.
A stronger emphasis will be put on player development, with Griffin having worked with big nurseries at Penrith and Brisbane in the past.
He will also be given a role in recruitment, with that and team selection forming part of McGregor’s frustrations towards the end of his tenure.

However Webb said it remained to be decided if Griffin’s involvement in recruitment would be more significant than what McGregor was afforded.
“The coach will have a role in that recruitment committee, no doubt,” Webb said.
“And Mary did have a lot of influence. That was probably overstated. He was involved and Griffin will as well.
“We’ll still sort that all out (if it’s more of a role than McGregor). Nothing is set in stone at the moment.”

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/09/08/outside-voice-helps-griffin-to-dragons-job/
Who is Ben Harran ??? They say may be GM Football

Mjab

Juniors
Wane was my first choice but Griffin was a very close second and it’s absolute daylight to everyone else.

Hook’s got my support, all I’ve wanted is a coach that doesn’t want to be ‘one of the boys’ and if he’s anything, he’s that.

Dean.....you’re an adult mate, time to move out and go pay some rent .... and that goes double for you ‘Extras’ Millward.
Also 14 nil down every week until Moylan and the boys threw out whatever Griffin's gameplan was a just chucked the ball around.
Still better than Mary and going to be better than what was on offer
Even if he has a clean out , brings some jnrs thru Im happy

Mjab

Juniors
You’d think so. I believe I read and heard on radio around October/November last year that Young had offered to leave as he’d been approached by the Chooks to replace O’Brien but was knocked back about leaving before his contract expired and then ultimately signed a new one... I think.
Griffin speaks highly of him so you’d think he’d stick with him, considering Flanagan isn’t hanging around. Who knows, though.
Should have gone to the Chooks and learnt something

Mjab

Juniors
I'd prefer Griffin over some of the other muppets getting HC roles.
Barrett, Brown, Payton.
Dragons got the best available.

Agree

I have been impressed with Paytons turn around Warriors though and I think Cows will be happy with him

denis preston

First Grade
Griffin was the obvious choice in the end and as said before, the best of what is available. What impressed me this time when looking at a coach as opposed to others is this:-

a) They went for an Outsider
b) 2 year deal with a 3rd in the clubs favour. Finally they did something right.
c) I know Fitzy has some ties to the club and may not be considered an outsider as my 1st point, but good to see that he was seriously considered as I think he has the best potential of all the rookies out there. Being Robbo's assistant on the back of this success is a pretty good way to learn not like Young who got his coaching following Price and Mary.

I have never seen so many journo's split on this guy. News Limited Love him and Channel 9 crew hate him. Griffin really will be on a mission to prove himself that is for sure with all the bad press he has received. Looks like he really pi$$ed Gould off. As for the others they just follow him like sheep.

Looking forward to see how many interviews he will do for channel 9 after this because if I was him I would keep away and only speak to Fox Sports. If he did not get the job I am not sure why he could not sue for defamation as they were doing a good job to really rubbish his case for the Dragons and good to see they did not listen. Goes to show how much the Saints listen to Gould and his review.

Gould went out of his way to get rid of Cleary to bring in Griffin only to bring back Cleary. Hang on I think the club actually brought back Cleary and sacked Gould because they knew he screwed up so how good can he be.

Griffin seems happy with the roster just like Wayne did when he arrived. Hopefully he has the same effect and brings in a few hard heads to toughen the forwards and gets the boys to play to their potential.

Finally looking forward to a season as the last 2 especially have been annoying.

He has to play ball with Ch 9 and just cant ignore them. i hope his media experience the past 2 years holds him in good stead. He has to be the bigger man in this for the clubs sake ( particularly our sponsors ) I also don't think he is entirely happy with the roster and has already alluded to changes with our forwards.

Mjab

Juniors
He decided he would not interchange his forwards, instead he would really test out their fitness. It was against a rookie Bulldogs outfit who had unlimited interchanges so of course they won. The story goes that Gus ripped into him during the game for this and this was the start of the feud.
We only use 2 bench players anyway, so the players will be primed

Mjab

Juniors
That is interesting. Now Moylan and Cartwright move on and Merrin has a breakup with his long time surfer girlfriend. And whose problem is it at the Panthers. Cartwright is struggling and Moylan too. Merrin went OS and back at Dragons and struggling. Whose problem?
Al his discards were good decisions except I though Lewis was still a good player and played well Sharks

Mjab

Juniors
I think the issue was that he didn't actually utilise the panther's system - he wanted to do it all on his own

Yes Correct

he didnt get along with the Panthers ancillary staff/ assistants that well exactly as you said he wanted to do it his way, good or bad that was . They all became frustrated with him ie weren't on the same page
I dont know if the support staff were Gus staff that he then didnt get on with so there was a big issue
I dont know
Gus full shit
He brought him to club so he must have seen and known what he was like , then didnt see eye to eye Gus and his support stuff and trouble starts

Hopefully he will get to choose his support staff and they then know the drill and do what he wants as his neck is the one on the line

I dont know how much input he had in choosing those staff either

Mjab

Juniors
I've heard that Millward is interested in applying for the GM Football job.

I just dont know about Millward , I dont really know him, but probably has done more bad than good
Some crazy contract extensions Lafai and Turnstile
old plodders
we need young up and comers

Id prefer a full clean out TBH and fresh and more insightful people

He has been part of the problem for years IMO and another old boy job

1 out last 4 coaches a success and guess what not an old boy

Just because your an old boy shouldnt give you the right to come and F the club up for years so you acheive your dream

This is what worries me about Young staying on

chrisD

Coach
Haha. The premiership window shutter will fail you spectacularly and it will be awesome. This season just keeps getting better.

possm

Coach
I just dont know about Millward , I dont really know him, but probably has done more bad than good
Some crazy contract extensions Lafai and Turnstile
old plodders
we need young up and comers

Id prefer a full clean out TBH and fresh and more insightful people

He has been part of the problem for years IMO and another old boy job

1 out last 4 coaches a success and guess what not an old boy

Just because your an old boy shouldnt give you the right to come and F the club up for years so you acheive your dream

This is what worries me about Young staying on
It seems clear to me that Young will be our next head coach so I just hope that Dean and his father don't go about white anting Griffin during the next two seasons.

Gareth67

First Grade
It seems clear to me that Young will be our next head coach so I just hope that Dean and his father don't go about white anting Griffin during the next two seasons.

Well I must confess that I did believe that shenanigans were afoot when Young Snr. chose not to be part of the vacant coaching position .

I was certainly wrong and if anything Craig’s decision to give his vote to the St.George side of the board ( whichever way they wished to use it ) was the correct thing to do .

Perhaps things are indeed on the up and up now at the Joint Venture and the board members are beginning to look at problems facing the Dragons in a more amicable manner .

Mjab

Juniors
Well I must confess that I did believe that shenanigans were afoot when Young Snr. chose not to be part of the vacant coaching position .

I was certainly wrong and if anything Craig’s decision to give his vote to the St.George side of the board ( whichever way they wished to use it ) was the correct thing to do .

Perhaps things are indeed on the up and up now at the Joint Venture and the board members are beginning to look at problems facing the Dragons in a more amicable manner .
Or at least smart enough to publically say it was a unanimous decision

I dont know if media reports were true or not , or just media shit beatup as usual
They may not have all agreed at different stages and thats what I would expect to a degree but in the end they made a unanimous decision in the end

Im yet to be convinced about the BOD though as they have been a rabble for a long time
At least a few are not truly capable of directing a multimillion dollar business as NRL clubs are now

I have however been impressed with Webb
sacked Mary
offloaded some rubbish
Got Griffin , who was probably the best we could get in the circumstances
been a voice in media unlike BJ
got on the front foot this week and apologised re the Blacklock story
so far good work