1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Maddragon99, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Ghostrider22

Ghostrider22 Juniors

So do I

blue bags, Gareth67 and blacksafake like this.
  2. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

That’s fine mate he can build our young guns up like he did in Penrith and then in two years time if he loses the group, Bennett, Bellamy, Wane and Fitzy may all be available to finish the job. In saying that f$$$ Fitzy he had his chance.

3. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

He decided he would not interchange his forwards, instead he would really test out their fitness. It was against a rookie Bulldogs outfit who had unlimited interchanges so of course they won. The story goes that Gus ripped into him during the game for this and this was the start of the feud.

Warabrook saint and blue bags like this.
  4. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Does Flanno stay on , 2 years for Griffo ..... ?????

Blood Shot Eyes and Gareth67 like this.
  5. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

so why aren't the ones responsible for contracting Mary held accountable?
    Obviously something seriously wrong with every aspect of McGregor's contract negotiation and subsequent upgrades/extensions.

6. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

[​IMG]

COACH

Dragons appoint Anthony Griffin as head coach
    Author
    Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
    Timestamp
    Mon 7 Sep 2020, 06:14 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/07/dragons-appoint-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/

7. Objective View

Objective View Bench

Maybe 'Unhook' is a more suitable nickname.

Straight Shooter

Phantom V, blue bags and Gareth67 like this.
  8. JamesRustle

JamesRustle Bench

It looks like they already have him wearing concrete boots, so they've taken a small 1st step i guess.

9. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

Well said Gaz- one of the little side benefits of Griffin's appointment is that he has knowledge and coaching experience recent enough in two of the powerhouse junior systems (Penrith and the Broncos) to hopefully land us a couple of the top players who've come thru those systems.

10. JamesRustle

JamesRustle Bench

I would love to have the luxury of sacking a coach when sitting in the top 4.

Mjab, since77, I'm Hornby and 4 others like this.
  11. JamesRustle

JamesRustle Bench

But the loss has compounded a horror few months for the club, which las lost star juniors Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright to rival clubs.

Ha ha ha. Well done Hook. I'll bet Sharks and Titans have buyers remorse.

Mjab, _Johnsy, SnowDragon and 3 others like this.
  12. blue bags

blue bags Bench

i believe flanno moves on after this year, but i hope he stays as a tactician ;)

SnowDragon likes this.
  13. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Bryce, Moylan, Peachey, DWZ etc had the issues

The guys like Maloney, Cleary, Mansour and the guys that like Hard work had no issues

Corey Parker gave him a glowing report on NRL today

Mjab, I'm Hornby, Phantom V and 6 others like this.
  14. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

That is interesting. Now Moylan and Cartwright move on and Merrin has a breakup with his long time surfer girlfriend. And whose problem is it at the Panthers. Cartwright is struggling and Moylan too. Merrin went OS and back at Dragons and struggling. Whose problem?

Dragon David and blue bags like this.
  15. Andy_P

Andy_P Juniors

I think the issue was that he didn't actually utilise the panther's system - he wanted to do it all on his own

Mjab and blue bags like this.
  16. Objective View

Objective View Bench

While I don't consider him a top tier coach, I'm excited by this appointment (whereas I raged against McFlop from the very outset).

I think players are far more likely to join the club now than at any other time in the last 10 years. At least there is the potential for success.

Can't wait till 2021!!

Straight Shooter

Dragon_psa, Tuddy, Gareth67 and 11 others like this.
  17. Dragsters

Dragsters Bench

Bin the 2020 season and start 2021 early I say...

Objective View, redv13 and blue bags like this.
  18. Phantom V

Phantom V Juniors

I don’t buy into it when I hear a coach has l’lost the dressing room’. To me that says more about the players than the coach

When I played, I could never imagine running out and dogging it just because I didn’t like the coach, I just loved playing footy no matter what and besides, at the end of the day, you represent the jersey and the fans.

It pi$&es me off when a team puts in one week and looks like a different side the next. It’s all about attitude!!!

Hooks approach is going to sort out the wheat from the chaff and that sort of mindset is long overdue.

19. JamesRustle

JamesRustle Bench

Goes. Should never have been appointed. Never understood the reasons. Downside only - unsettle the nerve of a below average head coach, brings stigma of cheating, never an exciting head coach in his own right. Where was the upside? f**k him off back to the sharks.

I'm Hornby likes this.
  20. ViceVersa

ViceVersa Juniors