What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

A couple of things. Griffin took over the Broncos following Ivan Henjak not Bennett. He was Henjak’s assistant and got the job following Ivan’s 2010 dumping. Later removed for Bennett’s return.

Griffin has only been off the scene for less than 18 months. If anything, the break should have freshened him up.

Less adventurous but also less of a punt than Wane. The only realistic option on the shortlist. Did Gould make the shortlist Btw? The other candidates looked like patsies to me. Maybe Furner went closer than expected due to an impressive interview performance but these two were never real options.

2 years is a good idea. Unless you have the next biggest coaching sensation there’s no need to sign them on for longer than 2 yrs.

This way he has pressure to succeed immediately. The club can re-evaluate then tack extensions on 2 yrs at a time. He’s a known commodity. If he is in hot demand in two yrs time it will mean he has the club well up the charts. But if all is well you would think he’d be happy to extend and finish the job.

This is what we should Realistically expect:

1. Two finals finishes in the next two years. With a few sensible signings and sackings there’s no doubt we should have a finals-strength squad. He gets his teams to finals 88% of the time. That’s the certainty we need as a club.

2. A logical progression of junior talent through the grades and given opportunities in first grade. This guy has a proven track record in this area, blooding a host of youngsters at both Penrith and the Broncos. Another important ingredient for a development club like us, especially since going miles backwards in development under Mary.

3. Discipline. Badly needed.

4. A real shot at mixing it with the big clubs consistently. Not being March champions every year then getting lapped in August. Or scraping into the semis without any real hope of progression.

5. A bit of new blood. With his connections in Qld and Penrith, let’s have a couple of good players come in to energise the roster. Oates, May, Tamou et al would be the type of player we should expect to attract now.

6. A chance at making a granny. There have only been three previous coaches never to have played for either Saints or Steelers. Masters, Bennett and Waite. They all made GFs in successful stints. This was perhaps the biggest reason to appoint an experienced outsider so kudos to the board for finally recognising this fact. Maybe they even listened to fans.

7. A decent legacy. Brisbane made the granny the year after Hook left. Penrith could do the same two years after he finished there. Neither coach following Griffin made wholesale changes to theIt rosters. The groundwork was laid.

Even if the next two years are fruitless, history tells us he leaves his clubs in decent shape.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I am going to take this as positive news on Griffin appointment
1. He is an outsider
2. He has seniority
3. He won't take crap from all players whether old or young
4. Has an eye for juniors as proven at penrith.
5. He actually had Penrith running fourth when removed by Gus Gould.
6. Has a better winning rate than most coaches in nrl
7. He encourages junior progress into first grade quicker than previous two coaches.

He absolutely deserves our support at this point.

Dragon David

First Grade
A couple of things. Griffin took over the Broncos following Ivan Henjak not Bennett. He was Henjak’s assistant and got the job following Ivan’s 2010 dumping. Later removed for Bennett’s return.

Griffin has only been off the scene for less than 18 months. If anything, the break should have freshened him up.

Less adventurous but also less of a punt than Wane. The only realistic option on the shortlist. Did Gould make the shortlist Btw? The other candidates looked like patsies to me. Maybe Furner went closer than expected due to an impressive interview performance but these two were never real options.

2 years is a good idea. Unless you have the next biggest coaching sensation there’s no need to sign them on for longer than 2 yrs.

This way he has pressure to succeed immediately. The club can re-evaluate then tack extensions on 2 yrs at a time. He’s a known commodity. If he is in hot demand in two yrs time it will mean he has the club well up the charts. But if all is well you would think he’d be happy to extend and finish the job.

This is what we should Realistically expect:

1. Two finals finishes in the next two years. With a few sensible signings and sackings there’s no doubt we should have a finals-strength squad. He gets his teams to finals 88% of the time. That’s the certainty we need as a club.

2. A logical progression of junior talent through the grades and given opportunities in first grade. This guy has a proven track record in this area, blooding a host of youngsters at both Penrith and the Broncos. Another important ingredient for a development club like us, especially since going miles backwards in development under Mary.

3. Discipline. Badly needed.

4. A real shot at mixing it with the big clubs consistently. Not being March champions every year then getting lapped in August. Or scraping into the semis without any real hope of progression.

5. A bit of new blood. With his connections in Qld and Penrith, let’s have a couple of good players come in to energise the roster. Oates, May, Tamou et al would be the type of player we should expect to attract now.

6. A chance at making a granny. There have only been three previous coaches never to have played for either Saints or Steelers. Masters, Bennett and Waite. They all made GFs in successful stints. This was perhaps the biggest reason to appoint an experienced outsider so kudos to the board for finally recognising this fact. Maybe they even listened to fans.

7. A decent legacy. Brisbane made the granny the year after Hook left. Penrith could do the same two years after he finished there. Neither coach following Griffin made wholesale changes to theIt rosters. The groundwork was laid.

Even if the next two years are fruitless, history tells us he leaves his clubs in decent shape.
Not like Bennett. The clubs he coached were left in disarray. I am waiting for this to happen to Souths when he goes.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
so why aren't the ones responsible for contracting Mary held accountable?
Obviously something seriously wrong with every aspect of McGregor's contract negotiation and subsequent upgrades/extensions.
They should have been thrown out with mary . It's disgraceful that they can continue on in their jobs after their pathetic efforts

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons announce Anthony Griffin as new head coach

Australian Associated Press
Yahoo Sport Australia7 Sep 2020, 8:07 pm
466c7900-f0f1-11ea-baff-eb7a6c53ab5e

Former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin has been announced as the new head coach of the Dragons. (Getty Images)
Anthony Griffin will be St George Illawarra's next coach[/a] after beating out Dean Young and David Furner for the top job at the Dragons.

The Red V confirmed on Monday night Griffin would replace Paul McGregor in a full-time capacity, taking the reins from next season on a two-year deal.

The announcement marks Griffin's first full return to coaching since being sacked by Penrith midway through 2018.

His appointment came with the support of both the WIN and St George sides of the board, with unanimous backing required for any head coach selection.

"Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," CEO Ryan Webb said.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin’s defensive record crucial in appointment
The early frontrunner for the role, Griffin wowed the Dragons in a lengthy Zoom interview last Wednesday.

His defensive record as a coach is believed to have been crucial to that.

With the Dragons having fallen away defensively in the past two seasons, a heavy emphasis was put on that area of the game.

Griffin has a 55.5 per cent winning record as a coach, but has crucially never had a team concede an average of more than 20 points a game in one season.

The Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons #redv

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) September 7, 2020
The bigger question marks have surrounded his attack, with the common knock on his time at Penrith being that they weren't allowed to play expansive football.

However, Griffin has experience working with two of the Dragons' most important attacking weapons in Ben Hunt and Corey Norman, having brought them both through the grades at Brisbane.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I'm excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks."

Meanwhile it remains to be seen if Young will stay on as an assistant, however, he has worked alongside Griffin as part of the Tongan set up.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-dragons-announce-anthony-griffin-coach-100743474.html

SnowDragon

Juniors
Like many here, I’d picked Wane as preferred choice. I like the idea of Fitzgibbon, but preferred an experienced coach.

definitely wasn’t sold on Griffen. However, his is chosen, there is positives on his cv, so I’ll make the assumption he is going to turn us around.

Two more points
1) congrats to the board / CEO for a 2 year deal, and CEO for improving transparency
2) I’d like to know why Wane was seemingly ignored when he seemed a good choice to many on this forum. (Not saying I know more, but knowing what is public, it seems like a lack of due diligence). Clearly the communication and transparency can further improve.

St Georgio

Juniors
Finally the Board have done a good job in Appointing the best out there ATM apart from Wane, the only question, is he able to win a Premiership or will he end up being in the same category as Brian Smith and David Waite, unfortunately for Waite we were ripped off in 1999 GF from Bill Harrigans poor refereeing 50/50's going to the Storm, missed forward passes and giving them a leg up, making for a spectacular finish for the power brokers (NEWS LTD). Unless we are able to get a Proven premieship winner like a Bellamy or a Robinson, I will be content for hook to stay on beyong his 2 year contract believing we will finish top 8/6 next year and top 4 in 2022.
Hopefully over the next few years on this forum the debates will be over team selections and which club will be a threat to us winning another premiership.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
I believe Flanagan is off to Easts as some sort of assistant to reunite with his son.
I have also heard the same rumour from a mad Chooks Supporter. I believe Fitzgibbon will step into the Head Coach role once Trent Robinson departs back to France.
Roosters probably pre planning to have Flanno as his senior assistant.
I don’t think Flanno ever intended hanging around the Dragons, it was just a stepping stone and some cash.