What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10k fine coming for Trent

Vic Mackey

Referee
If the captain approaches disrespectfully then absolutely. But he has the right to question the referee as it stands, yes? So if he is professional about it, what basis does the referee have to just straight up dismiss him other than arrogance?

Does he have the right though?

I believe last off season (or maybe the one before) it was taken away. And to me that's right, they shouldn't need to question a ref. Not on the run anyway. Break in play sure. Most of the time they have an alternate motive anyway.

Maximus

Coach
Isn't that the point he was making? The last three years they were MP's, this year coming last but irrespective, under Cummins through all those years they only won twice in 17 odd occasions which is a massive statistically anomaly when compared across all the other refs. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, can he be find for stating a fact?

Considering winning twice isn't a fact, yes.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/MTEtLS0tLS0yMDEzLS0tODAtLS0tLS0tLS0tLTIwMTUt

They won 6 from 13 (WCC is included in that list).

Which of those games did they get robbed in?

The Beaver

Juniors
I'd take Trent seriously if he didn't start his crusade against refereeing when his side is 1-7. I'd also take him more seriously if he didn't only highlight decisions that went against his side. Why not acknowledge that your first two tries should never have been given?

He jumped the shark when he essentially compared his side to the ANZACs because they don't lie down.

Cockosh

Juniors
I'd take Trent seriously if he didn't start his crusade against refereeing when his side is 1-7. I'd also take him more seriously if he didn't only highlight decisions that went against his side. Why not acknowledge that your first two tries should never have been given?

He jumped the shark when he essentially compared his side to the ANZACs because they don't lie down.

He did it last year as well when another dragons player feigned injury Ewen Aitken. He has been on about laying down since he started

Trent was right, and it's not just his team copping it, most teams are week in week out.
He'll get fined and so will Jake Friend.
There are teams in every game that seem to get 50/50 calls their way all match.
Parra got all the calls against the Dogs a few weeks back but on Saturday it was their turn to cop them and Cowboys got all the calls.
Some weeks you get them other weeks you don't.
And every team has players that lay down for the penalty.

T-Boon

Coach
Trent was wrong about the stats. As Maximus said - 6 from 13 they have won under Cummins not 2 from whatever. What a liar. Thats pretty bad. Just made stats up to accuse a ref of bias. This guy has lost it.
He should stop deflecting onto the refs who have a hard enough job without these 'dime a dozen' coaches blaming there career woes on them.

AMD

Juniors
Whilst he targeted Cummins specifically, I felt his concerns were more directed at the Bunker and when it chooses to rule on what has happened in general play, as well as players staying down and playing for penalties. Given some of the Bunker related issues we have seen over the past few weeks and the number of players we see staying down, he definitely isn't wrong with what he has said. I think his argument would have had a bit more legitimacy though if acknowledged there were also errors that favoured his side.

Cockosh

Juniors
Trent was wrong about the stats. As Maximus said - 6 from 13 they have won under Cummins not 2 from whatever. What a liar. Thats pretty bad. Just made stats up to accuse a ref of bias. This guy has lost it.
He should stop deflecting onto the refs who have a hard enough job without these 'dime a dozen' coaches blaming there career woes on them.

Robbo was 100% right then. In a period where we won 75% of games, under Cummins we win 46%.

T-Boon

Coach
The refs are fine. Cummins is fine. They aren't going to get any better.
There are contentious decisions in every game because it is a hard game to ref. Most decisions are of a 50/50 nature. Its made harder by coaches wanting to try to cheat and manipulate rules all the time. The coaches are the problem not the refs.

skeepe

Immortal
Does he have the right though?

I believe last off season (or maybe the one before) it was taken away. And to me that's right, they shouldn't need to question a ref. Not on the run anyway. Break in play sure. Most of the time they have an alternate motive anyway.

Exactly right. Captains like Gallen use it as a way to get a breather for their team, they aren't asking any real questions.

Like yesterday, when Ennis pushed that Penrith player in the back and Gallen went to the ref to protest that he was just trying to get to dummy half. It was a calculated attempt to slow the game down so that his players could get set for the defence they were going to have to do.

When the captains and coaches start respecting the system, they can complain about not getting any respect from it.

As for Robinson, the fine needs to be $100K minimum. That was completely out of line, and the NRL needs to hang him out to dry.

His complaint wasn't even valid. Friend was constantly hounding Cummins all game. He asked for an explanation, Cummins gave one, Friend didn't like it so he kept arguing. Not sure exactly what they want the referee to do in that situation, they can't spend all game discussing it.

Also, as mentioned, bad decisions went both ways today. The Roosters wouldn't have been anywhere near the Dragons if not for some errors from the officials, so unless he wants to complain about those as well then he just comes across as a whiny little bitch.

Maximus

Coach
Whilst he targeted Cummins specifically, I felt his concerns were more directed at the Bunker and when it chooses to rule on what has happened in general play, as well as players staying down and playing for penalties. Given some of the Bunker related issues we have seen over the past few weeks and the number of players we see staying down, he definitely isn't wrong with what he has said. I think his argument would have had a bit more legitimacy though if acknowledged there were also errors that favoured his side.

The only time they get involved in general play rulings without being asked is to change who gets the feed at scrums, which they are pretty consistent with. If they are asked to by the refs, why shouldn't they have a look?

Robbo was 100% right then. In a period where we won 75% of games, under Cummins we win 46%.

I provided the list. Which games were you robbed in?

I don't recall any controversy in the 2 sharks games last year for starters.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah that penalty from the bunker was ridiculous. Cant argue with Trent there and I agree with him on Cummins. Unfortunately he will get fined for his Cummins comment.