What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$10k fine for Anasta?

Misty Bee

First Grade
SMH said:
Roosters fume after Rabbit punch

Will Swanton | September 2, 2007

ROOSTERS coach Brad Fittler accused David Fa'alogo of cowardice, and Braith Anasta - shaking with anger and nursing a busted lip held together by four stitches - rated it the lowest act he had seen after being king-hit in a brain explosion likely to rule the Souths forward out of the finals.

The Book of Feuds is becoming longer than War and Peace. Two arch enemies exploded in the final 11 minutes of a game dominated by the Roosters in front of 32,125 rabid fans. Most of them were supporting Souths and they gave Fa'alogo a standing ovation after being sin-binned by overwhelmed referee Ben Cummins, who Anasta later accused of caving in to the pressure being generated by the howling Rabbitohs followers.

Fa'alogo had been tackled by Anasta and took exception to what appeared to be a grapple tackle. He got to his feet and threw a savage punch, his right fist connecting with Anasta's mouth. Anasta stumbled backwards and sideways and blood started spurting from his mouth. Cummins gave Fa'alogo his marching orders, but somehow penalised the Roosters. Fa'alogo will face a striking charge this week.

"It was a coward act," Fittler said. "He [Fa'alogo] just got up and had a free swing. I just thought it was poor."

Anasta could barely speak through his mangled bottom lip - but his disgust was loud and clear.

"He's a weak human," Anasta said.

"It's the lowest, weakest thing I've ever seen. If he can't take a tackle, it's just disgraceful. He's not playing netball. He king-hit me. He'll get a few weeks, he won't be playing in the semis, he just cost his team a player.

"I didn't think anything happened, all I felt was a punch to the head. He got a clean shot."
Asked if Fa'alogo had made any attempt to apologise, Anasta replied: "I couldn't understand him … he was dribbling something out there. I don't know what he was saying."

Inside the last two minutes, Anasta was binned by Cummins. Souths halfback Jeremy Smith objected to a marginally high tackle from Anasta and started throwing punches which were more like slaps. Anasta was held back from retaliating - but was sin-binned for supposedly retaliating.

"The referee lost the plot," Anasta said. "He just listened to the crowd. He should check his undies. Seriously, I've never seen anybody give into the crowd like he did. How do I get 10 in the bin for getting punched in the head and throwing one back?"

Fittler called for consistency from referees.

"I've seen 5000 of those tackles this year," he said of Anasta's tackle that sparked Fa'alogo's retaliation. "I don't know what they do these days - you can't lift a bloke above the horizontal but you're allowed to punch someone square in the mouth - that's weird. The rules are getting a bit weird.

"They seem to protect some things and not others. For getting belted a second time - I was confused what happened there when Braith was binned, it was just ridiculous."
The loss means Souths will finish seventh or eighth, and have to play either Melbourne or Manly away next weekend. They cannot claim to be going into their first finals series since 1989 with any degree of momentum.

A disappointed Souths coach Jason Taylor bit his tongue when asked about Fa'alogo's punch.

"We'll just leave that one," Taylor said. "I said to the boys after the game I don't want to be a coach who has players who don't let the referee handle things."

Fa'alongo should get a ticker tape parade down George Street for that one. Anasta's comments were disgusting, and below the belt, especially toward the referee. I notice Anasta is good at abusing people in the media if he has had an altercation with him. He's a knob. Chooks fans, he is tarnishing your proud club.

And I'd be VERY surprised if the club doesn't cop a big repremand from the NRL for it.

Source (link): http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...er-rabbit-punch/2007/09/01/1188067431798.html

God-King Dean

Immortal
Misty Bee said:
Fa'alongo should get a ticker tape parade down George Street for that one. Anasta's comments were disgusting, and below the belt, especially toward the referee.

The truth is disgusting... isn't it

bartman

Immortal
I've played netball, and I've seen just as bad...

Bwaith sounds like he's trying to win the fight with his wit seeing he lost it with his brawn.

innsaneink

Referee
Haha...below the belt.

HAnasta was spot on 100% accurate, the ref was crap and fkt up big time.

Y2Eel

First Grade
"I didn't think anything happened, all I felt was a punch to the head. He got a clean shot."
Asked if Fa'alogo had made any attempt to apologise, Anasta replied: "I couldn't understand him … he was dribbling something out there. I don't know what he was saying."

Bloody Racist lol... The ref deserved that spray... weak as...

Tom Ace

Bench
"Asked if Fa'alogo had made any attempt to apologise, Anasta replied: "I couldn't understand him … he was dribbling something out there. I don't know what he was saying."

:lol: I think these comments are as funny as Souths fans think Anasta getting punched was.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
He's not playing netball.

.....and neither are you Braith. Get over it you b*tch.

I don't approve of what Fa'alogo did but the way Anasta acted toward the Ref was just plain wrong (even if the call was too). I hope none of the younsters out there take that into their game after watching that display.

Everyone knows Ben Cummins didn't handle the situation well but you cannot talk to a ref like he did.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I would've sent Braith and Fa'alogo. Fa'alogo's actions were deplorable and Braith's grapple tackle followed by his dissent to the ref was worthy of following him.

Very happy the grub got sin binned ten later.

BWNB

First Grade
Timmah said:
I would've sent Braith and Fa'alogo. Fa'alogo's actions were deplorable and Braith's grapple tackle followed by his dissent to the ref was worthy of following him.

Very happy the grub got sin binned ten later.

Whats going on, this has to be the first time i have agreed with Dodger.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Fa'alongo should get a ticker tape parade down George Street for that one. Anasta's comments were disgusting, and below the belt, especially toward the referee. I notice Anasta is good at abusing people in the media if he has had an altercation with him. He's a knob. Chooks fans, he is tarnishing your proud club.

And I'd be VERY surprised if the club doesn't cop a big repremand from the NRL for it.

Grow up idiot..

Red Bear said:
How would you react if you got punched in the head then penalised?

I agree with this guy, tell me, if you got punched in the head for no reason and penalised would you be p*ssed off as well?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
.....and neither are you Braith. Get over it you b*tch.

I don't approve of what Fa'alogo did but the way Anasta acted toward the Ref was just plain wrong (even if the call was too). I hope none of the younsters out there take that into their game after watching that display.

Everyone knows Ben Cummins didn't handle the situation well but you cannot talk to a ref like he did.

Cummins knew what he was doing.. He carved us up last time he had us and was inventing rules along the way last night trying to get Souths up..

Timmah

Staff member
Red Bear said:
How would you react if you got punched in the head then penalised?

I can see why he blew the penalty the way he did. You penalise the first indiscretion (Braith's grapple). The Rabbits ended up with the bigger penalty of losing a man (which should've been for twelve, not 10 minutes).

Timmah

Staff member
Marshall_magic said:
I agree with this guy, tell me, if you got punched in the head for no reason and penalised would you be p*ssed off as well?

Regardless, you don't tell a referee that he's "off his head" twice.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You blokes are f**king kidding me, Anasta had every right to say what he did, the ref was disgraceful.

I await Robert Finch's comments - useless turd this guy is, absolutely useless. Bet if next week was a normal round he would be reffing again.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Err, grapple tackle was the reason for both.

BTW, I've seen worse. I recall a PL GF a few years back when a Parra player gave away a penalty try to Simon Gillies because Gillies threw a ball at his head.

That player never abused the ref in the press.

lazza

Juniors
The punch negates the first penalty... the refs have the power to reverse their decision.

they say it all the time, but neever act on it...and they always warn on it too, i dont know why, they play so many games of football, they all know the rules.. yet they only warned the first time.