What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 a side Rugby League

Copa

Bench
To repeat myself....

If RL switches to 11 per team... rugby union will then switch to 13...

NRL.... don't do it.

axl rose

Bench
Papa_smurf said:
it was to allow SOME forward passes, like 2 or 4 per team per game.

dont represent things so negatively champ, its unfair

What are you his hairdresser? for fu$k sake

Danish

Referee
Copa said:
To repeat myself....

If RL switches to 11 per team... rugby union will then switch to 13...

NRL.... don't do it.

Union is rather a bit too international to make such huge changes on the basis of the NRL

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
seriously, what goes on in the head's of these people??? thats not a rhetoric, i am dumbfounded and would really like to know?

as per the rule changes i agree sumthin should be done with the speed of the ruck area, especially with the emergence of 'hooker-backs' (ala berrigan), i think that is the only area where major rule changes can be ideal because itll bring back the hooker-forwards and increase the importance of the hooker halves.

robbie123

Juniors
if you want a faster paced game where there is a try-scoring oppurtunity with every play go watch the sevens and leave our game alone...

fourplay

Juniors
I actually think this is an awsome idea.

atm the games are played out of dummy half. We would see a lot more ball movement, more space, more linebreaks.

I don't want the change though because then union would probably go to 13 players.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I agree. Get rid of 2 players and you'll impove the code heaps.

Get rid of 2 benchies. 13 a side - 2 interchanges - stops forward domination in defence, brings back opportunities for nippy halves and fleet footed backs.

11 a side league would have to be trialled, I guess, and I'll reserve judgement until I see a lot of it to see what it really means. However, I reckon the props are safe as a species. There will always be someone stationed on the wing. To me, it's goodbye lock, goodbye pivot.

Bengal

Juniors
Copa said:
This means rugby union can also drop 2 players to become rugby league.

As far as I'm concerned, Rugby Union became Rugby League the day they turned "professional". After all, paying players was what the big split, the big difference was between us for a long, long time.

As far as dropping two players is concerned, well, we all know "defense" is the big mantra in Rugby League, if not all pro sports. Dropping players won't change that any time soon.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
fourplay said:
I actually think this is an awsome idea.

atm the games are played out of dummy half. We would see a lot more ball movement, more space, more linebreaks.

Do you really think teams would go wider? They will still utilise the dummy half just as much if not more.

Redback71

First Grade
dum stupid pathetic ridiuclus idea, i would support geting rid of two players from the bench but not from the starting side

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Misty Bee said:
I agree. Get rid of 2 players and you'll impove the code heaps.

Get rid of 2 benchies. 13 a side - 2 interchanges - stops forward domination in defence, brings back opportunities for nippy halves and fleet footed backs.

11 a side league would have to be trialled, I guess, and I'll reserve judgement until I see a lot of it to see what it really means. However, I reckon the props are safe as a species. There will always be someone stationed on the wing. To me, it's goodbye lock, goodbye pivot.

Indeed,

Someone who can see through scaremongering of change.

Johns played with Rudder for years without issue.

In the 11 game your fullback would be a ball player, the hooker more of a half back type and one less backrower would not matter that much.

As for Kickby dropping a player - your kidding aren't you! They are even more resistant to change.
If anything this may be the catalyst for the two codes to unify and become a true powerhouse in sport.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the question is right - what can we do to encourage expansive play?

With players far fitter than ever, teams can lock down in defence and turn it into a bad game.

I think that maybe they need to expand the width of the field. Maybe 2 metres each side - I don't know if it would change heaps but it would be giving more ground to cover in defence and thus make it harder to do so encouraging teams to go wide. There is nothing like a deep attack sweeping across the field going for a wide attacking spree to split the defence.

I know this might cause a little problem with say Melbourne at olympic but with the new stadium it should be fine.

I think though, like we have slightly different rules for mods through to international, maybe we need to give some latitude between amateur and pro comps.

magpie_man

Juniors
What if we had a 5m offside or contested play-the-balls coinciding with the 11/side rule change? would that make play more expansive?

Latest posts