What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 A Side Trial This Weekend

Nuke

Staff member
Goal-line drop-outs will still be possible. If a player knocks-on in the in-goal, I reckon that'd be a drop-out.
Also, if a player gets driven into the in-goal, then that would also be a drop-out in my books.

roopy

Referee
well it was an interesting game.
It took a while to get used to the defense looking stretched all the time, and i thought both sides got a bit over excited with the extra room to move, but in the end it turned out to be a fantastic game.
Storm were up 22-6 at halftime and looked to have settled into the form of game a lot more, but the Knights clicked in the second half and won 36-26 i think.
All game you had the feeling the side with the ball could score from anywhere on the field, and 3 or 4 of the best tries i've seen all season were scored in the end. Both sides scored beauties.

I don't think either side made the most of the format, but i saw plenty enough to want to see it again.
Keiran English got 4 tries to add to his 3 a month or so ago, but he really was just on the end of some fantastic attack.

In this form of the game mistakes cost you dearly, and Kev Naiquama made heaps of mistakes to have us under the pump.

I liked it - good play got rewarded, and mistakes were punished - as it should be.

roopy

Referee
Goal-line drop-outs will still be possible. If a player knocks-on in the in-goal, I reckon that'd be a drop-out.
Also, if a player gets driven into the in-goal, then that would also be a drop-out in my books.
There was one goal line drop out when the player got the ball just in the field of play and went back and touched it down - not carried by momentum, but deliberately.

perverse

Referee
It only got used 3 or 4 times - but i'm not convinced about it. Still, we should give it a go for a few more games i think.
perhaps... but that great kick that almost went 40/20 and then went in-goal should have been rewarded. instead the pressure just came off.

Karmawave

Bench
The best answer to the 11 a game concept was to stick around and watch the first grade game following it to show what rugby league should be all about. Because frankly it showed nothing dramatic needs to occur to change rugby league except a few tweakings here and there.

Certainly nothing like the 11 a side concept had ( agree that kicking idea of grounding is complete crap )

Big Tim

First Grade
The game was artificially fast.

It will just breed "athletes" playing the game, and footballers will be out the window. Quality players like Riddell will never get a run if we convert to this.

IMO the biggest and fastest will win.... always.