What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'11 | Prelim Final 2 | Sat | Storm v Warriors | AAMI

Grand Finalist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lowdown

Juniors
Not much has been said about mental toughness. Bellamy has focussed since last year on building his team's mental strength and developing resilience. It's shown throughout this year - particularly after the Origin period with a large number of road games and the post-origin fatigue. Instead of struggling, the Storm got even better.

Everyone knows Warriors have the ball skills and the muscle to win. But do they have the smarts to do it against the Storm?

Warriors remind me of the Storm in 2005 - some great players, some great kids, but perhaps a little too inconsistent to make a GF, let alone win it. We'll see.

hitman82

Bench
Fair comments regarding mental toughness. We had it against the Tigers, where we overcame horrendous officiating and an 18 - 6 halftime deficit.

But versus the Broncos we were pathetically weak, physically and mentally.

So we CAN display it, but not consistently. Here's hoping we show up this weekend.

Lowdown

Juniors
Indeed - the come back against the Tiges was impressive.

But, there's no doubt even the Tiges share similarities with the Warriors in not being able to put 80 minutes together. They played a decent 40 minutes to beat the Dragons.

You guys put a decent 40 minutes on to beat them.

The challenge is there for everyone to see: Warriors need to play 80 minutes to have any chance in beating the Storm.

There's not a team in the comp as consistent as Melbourne.

It will be interesting to see if Warriors approach this game with all-out attack in mind and throw the ball around early, or do they try and match the Storm at the ruck and get into an arm-wrestle.

devoid

Juniors
Yep, entirely fair comments Lowdown. I don't think we've put 80 minutes together all season. The closest to it was probably our win at AAMI Park in round 7. The mental edge the Storm have, particularly with the obvious three players, means they are undoubtedly favourites. Everyone knows Bellamy will have them fired up beyond belief. Hopefully we can stand up to it. If not, our future is still looking pretty good.

hitman82

Bench
I realise past "second week off" finalists have done pretty well in the semis, but I'm hoping Melbourne's not so ideal lead up to this match will help us challenge them.

Cronk being out rounds 24 and 25; Smith and Slater being rested in round 26, followed by a less than perfect display versus the Knights, and a week off - hopefully some rusty combinations will arise.

Lowdown

Juniors
I think this year more than ones past - the week off was badly needed.

We've been carrying loads of niggling injuries and have a number of 'at risk' players including Bobby Blair and Rory Kostjasyn. The backended draw of travelling to away games also takes it toll. I certainly hope and expect to see a very fresh Storm outfit.

Your point on the combinations is true. But you've also got to consider these guys have been playing together for years, and training together week in/week out - a point that Billy Slater made this week.

I doubt this can be an excuse if they're still rusty this weekend.

ozbash

Referee
But do they have the smarts to do it against the Storm?

they have shown they have on other occasions, cant see much difference this weekend. :cool:

Anyhoo, good luck Storm, should be an absolute ripper.

I realise past "second week off" finalists have done pretty well in the semis, but I'm hoping Melbourne's not so ideal lead up to this match will help us challenge them.

Cronk being out rounds 24 and 25; Smith and Slater being rested in round 26, followed by a less than perfect display versus the Knights, and a week off - hopefully some rusty combinations will arise.

Less than perfect display v knights ??...IMO they relaxed in the second half.

Evenflow

Bench
Storm did exactly what they had to do against the Knights after being up 18-0, nothing more nothing less. There's no point in busting a gut winning by 40 when you only have to win by 1 to make the prelim. You can bet your arse they wouldn't have let in a couple of soft tries like that if the game was much closer as opposed to being in pretty much control of the game when they did.

hitman82

Bench
Storm did exactly what they had to do against the Knights after being up 18-0, nothing more nothing less. There's no point in busting a gut winning by 40 when you only have to win by 1 to make the prelim. You can bet your arse they wouldn't have let in a couple of soft tries like that if the game was much closer as opposed to being in pretty much control of the game when they did.
Fair comments.
The point I was trying to make is, due to various factors, the Storm haven't been playing with intensity or their normal level of cohesion for 6 weeks or so now.
I'm sure they will be fired up for a grand final qualifier - what team wouldn't?
Hopefully they're a bit underdone.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Its been good watching the Warriors make it this far, but this is as far as it goes imo.

The only hope the Warriors have is if they monster the Storm forward pack. Both times this season I thought they got the better of the Storm pack and that did go some way to limiting the damage Smith/Cronk/Slater could do.

In a final though, I think the Storm frwards will do enough to allow those three plaers to work some magic.

Storm by 8-12

Noa

First Grade
if the warriors give away stupid penalties like they did in the Tigers game the Storm wont even have to play well to win. However if everything is just about 50/50 this game is too close to call.Ill say Storm by 2 just becasue Ima Storm man.

Hutty1986

Immortal
if the warriors give away stupid penalties like they did in the Tigers game the Storm wont even have to play well to win. However if everything is just about 50/50 this game is too close to call.Ill say Storm by 2 just becasue Ima Storm man.

It's just so hard to tell which Warriors side will turn up-will it be the powerful, confident side that blitzed the Tigers in the 2nd half last week? Or the error-prone, inconsistent team we have seen a heap of times this year? They will have to be bloody disciplined to beat the Storm and complete at least 80% you would think

Latest posts