What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#12/15

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you think he's the only top 17 player in the game with flaws? Or did you think he didn't have any? If the latter, you're part of the reason I pointed out his low work rate.

Noise

Coach
Do you think he's the only top 17 player in the game with flaws? Or did you think he didn't have any? If the latter, you're part of the reason I pointed out his low work rate.

I still can't work out if you would be happy for him to be released???? I am unhappy he is leaving us at the end of the year and would be even more unhappy if he leaves in the next 7 days

We won't need to shed points. We'll get our 12 back once the insurance company takes legal liability for Watmough's salary dating back to last year.

Eelogical

Referee
Still showing 12 points on the NRL website. I'm not privy as to when the points are actually stripped to zero.

IFR33K

Coach

Forget his work rate. How much $$ u guys think junior is on. I'd be surprised if it surpassed 250k a year.

Noise

Coach
Forget his work rate. How much $$ u guys think junior is on. I'd be surprised if it surpassed 250k a year.

I reckon that is about right. If we can get Watmough cleared for about 500 and we clear Junior 6 months into the football year that frees up about 125. But we have to add in a player on min wage (80 grand) to replace him. That gets us close to 570.

NB: I certainly do not want this to happen - Watmough yes, junior no

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Junior would be on no more than $150k. He signed his contract in his debut and was still second tier in 2014. I doubt in 2013 they would have offered him $250k after 5 it so games .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Yeah I reckon he'd be on about that, which is definitely unders. We'd be mad to let him go while he's on his current salary.

I'm glad we didn't match Canberra's offer though.

IFR33K

Coach
NRL has put us in between a rock and a hard place. Had we been left with 4 points, I'd be shedding players. But we are next to no chance of shedding enough talent and remaining competitive. Unless watmoughs retirement is back dated.

Chipmunk

Coach
NRL has put us in between a rock and a hard place. Had we been left with 4 points, I'd be shedding players. But we are next to no chance of shedding enough talent and remaining competitive. Unless watmoughs retirement is back dated.

The NRL will do everything it can (if we accept the punishment) to ensure we are cap compliant by Friday week. The NRLs Public Relations phase of the campaign will move quickly into overdrive once we accept our fate.

emjaycee

Coach
I am hearing that Schubert and BA are now in control of our cap and are confident we should be cap compliant by Friday IF the NRL let us meet with them and walk through our plan. The problem is while the 5 remain, there is unlikely to be any meeting.

forward pass

Coach
We won't need to shed points. We'll get our 12 back once the insurance company takes legal liability for Watmough's salary dating back to last year.

Why do you keep hanging on to this hope that we will get our points back? Do you think Watmough is the only issue. We have systematically cheated and attempted to rort the cap through TPA's and dodgy means for 5 years - the 12 points are punishment for that - not just because we are over this year. Pretty simple.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why do you keep hanging on to this hope that we will get our points back? Do you think Watmough is the only issue. We have systematically cheated and attempted to rort the cap through TPA's and dodgy means for 5 years - the 12 points are punishment for that - not just because we are over this year. Pretty simple.

The only way that we would ever be a chance of getting the 12 points back is to challenge the entire thing in the courts, which may or may not be even remotely successful. I doubt we will do this.

ash411

Bench

To be fair to HJ, even though I don't agree with his theory, he is bang on right about the 12 point penalty. Greenberg was clear that the points were stripped because the team that won them were over the cap, nothing more. The fine and de-regs of the board members are the penalties for the history of ongoing rorting and general dodginess.

So HJ's theory does hold water, I just doubt that we'd be allowed to back date Watmough's retirement, arguing we knew that he was going to retire, and this overspent knowing we were going to recoup it from insurance is a flimsy argument, even though it does make sense.

The Watmough back dating is a hail mary, it's the only chance of getting those 12 points back, it's a million to one shot, but the chance is there.

IFR33K

Coach
I am hearing that Schubert and BA are now in control of our cap and are confident we should be cap compliant by Friday IF the NRL let us meet with them and walk through our plan. The problem is while the 5 remain, there is unlikely to be any meeting.

That's obsurded they won't even meet with ba and shoebox. As much as we have f'ed up, the NRL is certainly digging its heels in. Would the NRL want us running an 'illegal' team out each week????

Every team that losses against us, would potentially have a legal matter with the NRL then!!! Especially if a team was to miss the 8 by two points.

If we hold our ground and watmough doesn't play again, surely they'll deem us legal, to stop other teams being disgruntled.

forward pass

Coach
To be fair to HJ, even though I don't agree with his theory, he is bang on right about the 12 point penalty. Greenberg was clear that the points were stripped because the team that won them were over the cap, nothing more. The fine and de-regs of the board members are the penalties for the history of ongoing rorting and general dodginess.

So HJ's theory does hold water, I just doubt that we'd be allowed to back date Watmough's retirement, arguing we knew that he was going to retire, and this overspent knowing we were going to recoup it from insurance is a flimsy argument, even though it does make sense.

The Watmough back dating is a hail mary, it's the only chance of getting those 12 points back, it's a million to one shot, but the chance is there.

Backdated or not - it doesn't matter. As far as we were concerned he was going to play for us - we were therefore over the cap. End of story.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Joel Caine is tweeting that there is a good chance 26 points (71% chance) will be enough for 8th spot this year.

Latest posts