What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R17 | Fri | Broncos 12-26 Sharks | Suncorp

Round 17 result: Broncos v Sharks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bretto

Bench
That smith one was bullshit.
He's on the ground. Broncos guy is going in. Of course your gunna put ya hand up.

Accidental.

And then the little merkin lays down like he'd been taken down from the book depository.

That Jeremy Smith one was about as obvious as they come. He quite deliberately lifted his elbow and made deliberate contact with the players head with his elbow, forearm and fist. Furthermore, Jeremy Smith is one of the grubbiest players I've seen this year. Is that how he usually rolls?

user_nat

Coach
I don't think there was intent. Just trying to fend away and went wrong.

Which makes me think.. if someone is sitting down with the ball, all the defense needs to do is touch them to complete the tackle right? So if you touch the defense yourself, does that count as tackling yourself?

wibble

Bench
That Jeremy Smith one was about as obvious as they come. He quite deliberately lifted his elbow and made deliberate contact with the players head with his elbow, forearm and fist. Furthermore, Jeremy Smith is one of the grubbiest players I've seen this year. Is that how he usually rolls?

When he first lifted his elbow there is no head near him to hit.

You are implying that the Broncos player was over the top of him and Smith aimed for and got him on the chin.

In actual fact, Smith raised his arm in anticipation of the Broncos player getting to him, then the Broncos player fell on Smith, then Smith's fist contacted Wallace's head.

You could certainly make the case Smith's arm positioning was reckless, though it was to defend from being smashed on the ground (not that he could tell if Wallace was going to smash him, and as it was Wallace came in pretty gently), but reckless defenders hardly ever get penalised or suspended. Given that he was on the ground and Wallace wasn't, Wallace had plenty more oppurtunity to control where the arm went.

You might argue at the last second, after his arm had trailed up parallel to Wallace's chest, that Smith could see Wallace's face and didn't move to avoid his chin.

If an attacker already has a fend up and a defender runs his head into it, how often is that penalised? This seemed similar to me.

It is different if a tackler comes in and you fend into their head. But even then it is rarely penalised.

Special K

Coach
There is no such thing. There is contact with the head, then there is no contact with the head. Everything other than the fact that contact with the head was made is irrelevant.

If a player runs head first into a players hip and is knocked out what is that? Is that ok? What about torso? Wade was mostly chest so that is out from what you are saying.... It's rubbish.

If you attack the head then sure but it is not always the defenders fault. The graham tackle was a ball and all tackle.. Not a shoulder charge but a ball and all tackle where the runner jammed himself as much as the defender did. It was a bad decision from hoffman to try and get low with a defender like that. Next we will suspend defenders when players run bad lines ffs.

Bretto

Bench
If a player runs head first into a players hip and is knocked out what is that? Is that ok? What about torso? Wade was mostly chest so that is out from what you are saying.... It's rubbish.

If you attack the head then sure but it is not always the defenders fault. The graham tackle was a ball and all tackle.. Not a shoulder charge but a ball and all tackle where the runner jammed himself as much as the defender did. It was a bad decision from hoffman to try and get low with a defender like that. Next we will suspend defenders when players run bad lines ffs.

You're arguing with yourself here. I've already said I'm okay with the tackle. It doesn't change the fact that he made contact with the head which is a penalty in our game.

wibble

Bench
3-4 weeks out suspended, should have been sent

Tell you what, what odds would you like to give me he doesn't get 3 or more weeks?

T-Rex didn't get sent off and yet clowns argue that every 2nd tackle that is put on report should be a send off offense. If you think that is a send off offense, have you watched any games the last few years? Seen any of the tackles that did result in suspension, the vast majority of which didn't result in a send off?

Either some people have no idea, or I'm feeding the trolls.

wibble

Bench
I had a Sharks fan tell me "you don't even have any players out"

Seriously.

Probably watches as many games as the people who feel Graham should have been sent off.

Its not like the Broncos ever have players missing before Origin games... (What's Origin???)

Bretto

Bench
Tell you what, what odds would you like to give me he doesn't get 3 or more weeks?

T-Rex didn't get sent off and yet clowns argue that every 2nd tackle that is put on report should be a send off offense. If you think that is a send off offense, have you watched any games the last few years? Seen any of the tackles that did result in suspension, the vast majority of which didn't result in a send off?

Either some people have no idea, or I'm feeding the trolls.

The latter unfortunately, mate. isaiah is an obvious troll. Unintelligent though, so don't be alarmed. :lol:

some11

Referee
Probably watches as many games as the people who feel Graham should have been sent off.

Its not like the Broncos ever have players missing before Origin games... (What's Origin???)

True, he probably just hopped on the bandwagon this year.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Jeremy Smith came form the Storm. Ergo, the likelihood is quite high that he's a dirty, grubby prick. Quality player though.

AuDragon

Juniors
It was Men vs. Boys out there in the first 25 minutes. Flanagan's game plan was clearly to come out and intimidate the Broncos kids, and it worked a treat. Very aggressive but very grubby stuff, as well as a few lucky bounces quickly led up to 3 tries to zip, and were it not for the Graham high shot (second in a row), it would've been 4, and deservedly so!

In the end, that first game quarter and the loss of our fullback and centre was just too much to overcome, especially when one of the halves tries to do everything himself, because the other one went into his shell.
Still, a bit more poise and we couldda/shouldda been in front by the 60 mins mark.

As far as the refs go, both report calls were correct imo, although a few other calls went the Broncos way. But f**k me dead, the Sharks were allowed to lay all over the ruck all night long. Consistency refs FFS!

In the end, like wibble said, the Sharks played what was in front of them, made a game plan for it, and won. Kuddos to them!

Hope for a rematch with both teams at full strenght...

Snappy

Coach
Penalty count 8-6. Fully bro.

Considering two of those penalties favouring Broncos were for high shots, and another for the kick off out on the full, this is pretty much a case of haters gonna hate.

The only obviously bad decision was the strip call.

Latest posts