What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$120,000 minimum wage..

Pierced Soul

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21449167-5006066,00.html

Mason won't talk to chief executive

By Steve Mascord and Dean Ritchie
March 27, 2007
CONTROVERSIAL Bulldogs forward Willie Mason says he has no plans to hold talks with Matthew Rodwell despite the player association boss's attempts to contact him.
The Australia Test star dropped a bombshell at the weekend - saying players should consider striking during this year's State of Origin series if the salary cap is not increased. He also called the Rugby League Professionals Association "weak".
Rodwell was yesterday trying to speak to Mason about those comments, but Mason said he wouldn't hold talks.
"I don't have his number," Mason said.
The Bulldogs giant said he had received good feedback from fellow players over his calls for the cap to be significantly raised from its current level of $4 million and for tough tactics if that doesn't happen.
And Mason stepped up his attack last night - calling for the minimum wage for all NRL players to be increased to $120,000 a season.
"I've received plenty of support, yeah," he said.
"People have been good.
"But the club have asked me not to comment on it. I'm going to go on The Footy Show on Thursday and clear it all up a bit."
Mason said the emphasis on his call for industrial action as a last resort had been overplayed.
"It's been sort of taken out of context ... it's just that word 'strike'," he said.
"I'll clear it all up."
Rodwell said he had left messages with Mason in the hope of explaining to him in some detail the contents of the RLPA's collective bargaining agreement with the NRL.
But rather than hit back at Mason, Rodwell said the RLPA had to provide working conditions that the players wanted.
"We've been criticised and called things and we have to cop it sweet," Rodwell said.
"It's like playing footy, you have to respond to criticism with your performance.
"We have to go away and find a document that gives the players what they are happy with. I am confident, in my dealings with the NRL, that there is room to move in negotiations."
But having agreed on a new CBA with the NRL, and submitted it for approval to government departments, Rodwell admitted he had no idea what would happen if the players now voted against it.
"I don't know - we might have to go away and take advice or something like that," he said.
Asked if a higher cap was more likely as a result of Mason's outburst, Rodwell said: "There were a lot of people doing a lot of hard work before Willie said what he did."
Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said players had been misinformed about the NRL's "new media deal" with Telstra worth $90 million.
One NRL source said yesterday: "The players think we are hiding some pot of gold. It's not there."
Carr denied Mason's strike threat would be used against the player in his stated ambition to be Australia skipper.
"Not from my point of view," Carr said.
"Willie just seems a little confused about the situation. He only saw the figures on a press release $90 million. Not the ins and outs that took place during negotiations.
"That money has been taken into consideration and budgeted for. Willie has to understand that.
"I think Willie was poorly advised when going to press.
"I like Willie and he is entitled to his open and democratic opinion. But he should have spoken to the RLPA about the negotiations first."
<A class=image href="http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_dailytelegraph.gif

Share this article:

---------------

whats the average wage in Australia? I have a feeling it's between $40-$50,000 but if you're an average footballer who's doing it for the LOVE of the game mason thinks you should get $120,000.

this isnt about bagging Mason (cos he may have some altruistic motive behind his argument - which he'll 'clear up on thursday') but I remember when the silly money of superleague started one of the beliefs was that players were distancing themselves over the fans who go to see them. I have no doubt that some players deserve the money they get given what they give back to the game, but this elitism and greed is disgusting. yes they are very good at what they do, but how many of us would play for nothing to get the chance to play footy for a job?

we all know that if there was a salary cap increase it would just mean the higher paid players get paid even more.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm a 20 year old working fulltime. I currently earn about 30k a year. 50k is fine.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Timmah said:
I'm a 20 year old working fulltime. I currently earn about 30k a year. 50k is fine.

thats exactly right....and I think most people would see it as reasonable to get at least $50,000 (afetr earning it) but $120,000 is ludicrous

mattyg

Bench
the main argument for Willie Mason is that footballers can only really play for 10 years, and after that they are pretty stuffed...they have no qualifications such as a trade, uni degree etc. since they spent all their time training and playing football. 120k might be a bit over the top however...i think 80k would be more on the money.

t-ba

Post Whore
mattyg said:
the main argument for Willie Mason is that footballers can only really play for 10 years, and after that they are pretty stuffed...they have no qualifications such as a trade, uni degree etc. since they spent all their time training and playing football. 120k might be a bit over the top however...i think 80k would be more on the money.

There's alot of sacrifice in becoming a footballer (Despite what some think), and most who get there don't even stick around for a decade at the top level. So yes, that needs to be put into consideration.

But jeez it'd be nice if Willie could think before he opens his yap. Pushing the Salary cap has the potential to wipe out clubs, which reduces the number of positions for footballers to be earning money!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
mattyg said:

but how's that different to other jobs where a person amy be unable to take on any future training/qualifications etc and be stuck in a job they hate gettting paid f**k all? i've known plenty of people who have been stuck in careers they dont like and dont necessarily have the time to do furtehr courses and cant just quit their jobs cos of living expenses. What's to stop league players doing uni courses at night if they're so worried about it (seevral of them have in the past)?

yes the game is making some $$, yes the players are the ones who bring in the crowds, but i think players need to work out whether they're doing it cos they lvoe the game or cos of the money. if they just want the $ they should f**k off to yawnion or SL. i'd rather see less talented players giving it a go cos they love it , then some stuck up athlete counting his $$. what's next? should players gte bonuses for every tackle they make or every pass they catch?

mattyg

Bench
I was thinking about it last night...from gate takings alone the NRL/ARL whatever gets roughly $9,000,000 based on a $50 average ticket, and 180,000 people attending the games. Let alone sponsorship and ads on the TV and they are making a fortune out of it.

80,000 a year is fine IMO. No player in the 25 man squad should get less than it. There are players on 50,000 who may only ever play in PL and the occasional first grade game, but they are missing out on further qualifications to do so.

t-ba

Post Whore
mattyg said:
I was thinking about it last night...from gate takings alone the NRL/ARL whatever gets roughly $9,000,000 based on a $50 average ticket, and 180,000 people attending the games. Let alone sponsorship and ads on the TV and they are making a fortune out of it.

So, there's a fair amount of revenue, but what about expenses besides player wages?

The other worry is were does everyone think a wage increase will come from? News Limited sure as hell won't give up their blood money, and the grass roots will end up suffering the consequences.

t-ba

Post Whore
Coleman said:
Who pays $50 for a f**king ticket?

I was wondering that too. Maybe he's factoring in food and drink, but I don't think many clubs have leases that see them sharing in the catering profits.

mattyg

Bench
I was talking about origin tickets. 2 x 50,000 qld sellouts, and 1 x 80,000 nsw sellout is 180,000 people. You'll be lucky to find a ticket under $50 for either of the games.

smeghead

Bench
I may be wrong but clubs like the Wests Tigers also encourage players to do further study and prepare for a life after football.

Yes there are alot of sacrifices made to play professional sport but the figure discussed by Mason is just ridiclous.

This is where I would love the Footy Show to have questions asked from the audience as I would love to see the justification to the average fan why a player who may play at best two first grade games a year would be worth $120,000

t-ba

Post Whore
mattyg said:
I was talking about origin tickets. 2 x 50,000 qld sellouts, and 1 x 80,000 nsw sellout is 180,000 people. You'll be lucky to find a ticket under $50 for either of the games.

Ah ok. And how does that influence the NRL's minimum wage?

wittyfan

Referee
mattyg said:

Players do have some spare time to do a course part-time. Most however choose to play Playstation or go to the pub instead.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Really, they would spend most days training for about two hours or so, plus the odd weight session, etc.
There would be plenty of time to do a uni/TAFE course at least one day a week.

Disco

Bench
mattyg said:

You know, there nothing stopping players from doing part-time Uni or Tafe in order to gain qualifications

Jason King is getting his Law Degree