What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$120,000 minimum wage..

God-King Dean

Immortal
mattyg said:
the main argument for Willie Mason is that footballers can only really play for 10 years, and after that they are pretty stuffed...they have no qualifications such as a trade, uni degree etc. since they spent all their time training and playing football. 120k might be a bit over the top however...i think 80k would be more on the money.

Most training days only goes for half a day, the other half they can do what they want. They have plenty of opportunities. If Brian Carney & that other dude from Manly (King ?) can get Lawyer degrees, there's no excuses for any other players.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Disco said:
You know, there nothing stopping players from doing part-time Uni or Tafe in order to gain qualifications

Jason King is getting his Law Degree

True, I remember Warriors Prop Jerrry Seu Seu completed a law degree before he went to the UK too. If an NRL player is in first grade for 8 years, then thats plenty of time to complete a 3 or 4 year degree part time with a very cruisy schedule. And if they go into any fitness/sports related profession their NRL experience will make them far more employable than others with the same qualification.

Ice777

Bench
smeghead said:
I may be wrong but clubs like the Wests Tigers also encourage players to do further study and prepare for a life after football.

Yes there are alot of sacrifices made to play professional sport but the figure discussed by Mason is just ridiclous.

That's exactly right. I know that AFL clubs actively encourage and help their players to take courses in whatever it is they're interested in to prepare for when they retire. That being said the argument that they only have about 10 years at the top level before retiring from the game is as piss poor as what it is laughable. Of course their time is limited but it's up to them to do something with the fortunate postion millions of others would love to be in and not just expect it to be handed to them on a silver platter.

With the resources these blokes have at their disposal there's no excuse whatsoever why they can't study for for something they want to do when their careers are over. It's not like they don't know that their time in the game is limited so if they don't prepare for after their retirement then they have nobody but themselves to blame if they have nothing to show for it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Well here is a suggestion Mason you twit...you can go to uni so that you can set yourself for life after football!

Smartman

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Well here is a suggestion Mason you twit...you can go to uni so that you can set yourself for life after football!

I dont think Mason knows what UNI means.

Seriously you would probably think it was a good idea if it wasnt written by Willie.

perverse

Referee
the problem is if you raise the minimum wage.. you have to raise the salary cap.. and we're not ready for that yet.

once again.. i call for larger concessions in the salary cap for long serving palyers to a club.. it will fix these issues..

t-ba said:
So, there's a fair amount of revenue, but what about expenses besides player wages?

The other worry is were does everyone think a wage increase will come from? News Limited sure as hell won't give up their blood money, and the grass roots will end up suffering the consequences.

Exactly.

The players are thinking with their wallets here. We have just had an increase in the cap to 4 million, a guaranteed minimum wage of 50k and an increase in rep payments. 120k for a fringe first grader? he can't be serious...50k is more than enough for guys to train full time and allows them to reach the top without having to be skint. So these guys do the same thing as you do they willie? They may train the same but their influence on the game is nowhere near the same, hence the lesser pay. It's just like in the workplace where you start off on a lower salary and are rewarded as you progress and have a greater influence on your firm/company.

120k...fair dinkum

Yes there has been an increase in sponsorship, but the players need to realise that a lot of that money is needed to esnure the code can sustain itself. For one a lot of clubs aren't exactly rolling in money. Yes they are improving, but they nearly bankrupted themselves a decade ago. The reason wages haven't moved, as willie puts it, is because wages shot through the bloody roof out of nowhere and the growth in wages wasn't linked to productivity and earnings. Which meant they weren't sustainable. We are finally getting to the point where the NRL is nearly able to cover the salary cap (Which is their stated objective) with its grant. That should be the aim of the governing body, to ensure all clubs have the wages met by the TV deals and sponsorships.

Furthermore I want to see this great game of ours grow. The money needs to be spent on holding off AFL and soccer as well as developing new areas and supporting international footy. I don't want to see Dean Young driving around in a bigger and better car just because there is more money all of a sudden. Yes we need to grow the salary cap to ensure we attract the best talent, but we can't do it at the expense of the financial stability of clubs. Growth in expenditure has to be organic. Just because you hear of a big 'windfall' deal, doesn't mean that there is all of a sudden a slush fund to stick your grimy paws into willie. The money is needed in plenty of places and not all of it is 'cash' anyway.

And to suggest a strike during Origin. What a dick. Origin its the pinnacle and puts so much money into the code and ultimately into big willie's pocket! How dare he use the jewel in our crown to hold the NRL to ransom. What an absolute jerk.

Personally this issue really is a waste of time. The players are currently well rewarded, have had an increase in pay and also need to take some responsibility for nearly taking the game to its knees a decade ago. Yes not all of them, or many of them, are left playing, but they still have those guys to thank for their half million dollar salaries.

I'd rather see Willy taking greater issue with news' continued involvement in the game, rather than question why more of the limited money that the NRL has isn't directed into the pockets of greedy players.

Am I concerned about union? definately. Do i think there is merit in the 'marquee' player scenario - possibly. I actaully think that there may be something in having your top player earning whatever can be paid, but half of it is still counted to the cap. This prevents big clubs from being able to hold onto their big name with no dent in the cap and then go after someone else hard. Though at the end of the day, tahu probably wouldn't have been parras number 1, so it may have been irrelevant.

Anyway. Pull your head in mason and enjoy your half mil a year to play what I do for free...jack ass.

Ice777

Bench
Just on a side note, i think it was pretty gutless of Mason mouthing off about the players association calling them weak and saying they do absolutely nothing for the players, yet when Matthew Rodwell attempted on numerous occasions to contact Mason to discuss his issues he not only didn't take the call, but he also never even bothered to return them to air his grievances to one of the people he bagged off in a public forum that is the Telegraph.

It just about sums up the blokes character i think, or more so lack of it. He's the epitome of a hypocrite, he calls the PA weak yet is too spinelss himself to talk to them. He wants to up the wages, yet he won't talk to the one bloke that can help make that happen. Is this bloke a total f**king idiot? No need to answer that i think we all have a fair idea of what it is anyway.

Razor

Coach
whats the average wage in Australia? I have a feeling it's between $40-$50,000 but if you're an average footballer who's doing it for the LOVE of the game mason thinks you should get $120,000.

How long is the average football career? A lot shorter than most other occupations. There is also a much greater risk of sustaining permanent injury playing football, than sitting at a desk all day

Stranger

Coach
Im pretty sure in the bulldogs they have to do computer courses and other such things so their players do have opportunies when they retire from League.

f**k 50k is heaps. Its not as if they do 12 hour days 6-7 days a week. Infact they would be lucky if they did 6 hour days most of the time.

Azkatro

First Grade
A club's starting salary for a top 25 would become $3m. Starting. For 16 clubs, that adds up to 48 million dollars PER YEAR. That's before you actually pay the good players what they're worth, and if Willie gets his way, he'll be earning $15m a year alone.

And the increases would be very hefty across the board. I'm sure if an Ashley Graham was playing regular, decent first grade football and only getting say $150K while some upcomer named Scott Bolton lands 2 games off the bench for the entire season walks home with $120K, Ash won't be too happy.

t-ba

Post Whore
Azkatro said:
And the increases would be very hefty across the board. I'm sure if an Ashley Graham was playing regular, decent first grade football and only getting say $150K while some upcomer named Scott Bolton lands 2 games off the bench for the entire season walks home with $120K, Ash won't be too happy.

Big Willie would then probably have a bitch about the fact that some nuffie who played no first grade is earning a quarter of his salary and that he deserves another pay increase...

...Edit: I've got no problem with players receiving good wages for what they do. But when You break down the Telstra deal, it's $18m a year, if you consider it as a stand alone and not an enhancement on a previous deal. Realistically, this deal is probably an increase of less than $1m per club. It's hardly enough, by itself, to justify salary increases, least of all a jump of the base contract from $50k to $120K, which when times by 25, equals $1.75m...ALOT More than what's actually coming into the game from the deal.

Canard

Immortal
Just a comment on the "sacrifices" that NRL players make.

Im guessing 99.9% of poster's on here would love the opportunity to be paid to do something they love. Even if 50K was a pay cut from what they are getting now.

aqua_duck

Coach
Razor said:
How long is the average football career? A lot shorter than most other occupations. There is also a much greater risk of sustaining permanent injury playing football, than sitting at a desk all day
I cn se where you're coming from however 50k minimum wage i like the league equivalent of an apprenticeship. Say you're an apprentice builder or sometig like that you'd earn a few hundred a week not a thousand. Playerstrain probably 10-15 hours a week max and 2 hours for the game. Say we infalt these figues and say they do a 25 hour week, thats pretty damn good for 50k a year.
As has been stated earlier, there's nohing stopping players from getting other qualifications whilst playing. My mate Dan Conn got his personal trainers qualiications when he was playing PL, I personally go to uni with swans players Ted Richards and Brett Kirk, I know Cameron Phelps is studying at ACPE (australian college of physical education) to be a PE teacher, as stated above Jason King is doing law at Maq uni. I mean whats the point of paying someone 120k a year for say 3 years (if he doesn't make it) and then hoping that money will last him the rest of his life?

Latest posts