What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$120,000 minimum wage..

JJ

Immortal
FFS, most of the noise is from Willie Mason - nuff said. He can't count, let alone work out the NRL's finances.

As has been stated, if the cap etc goes up, you won't see a minimum wage, and it won't affect what solid first graders or fringe players get - the only ones to benefit will be the so-called superstars...

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Nathan B said:
Just like fans of the EPL, NBA, NFL, and MLB (just to name a few) do all around the world.

how much revenue goes into those leagues? I bet it's a sh*tload higher than what the NRL gets. what sort of revenue do you think those clubs make from merchandise and ticket sales? again i bet it's a lot higher than the NRL. comparing the NRL to those leagues is like comparing the family owned coffe shop in the back of woop woop to starbucks in the middle of NY

culturally players in those leagues are also seen as celebrities and dont encessarily have a link with the 'common' man the way players in Australian sports (generally) do. in Australia we're used to seeing paleyrs at the lcoal pub or in the local street, there's a bond because at the end of the day whilst they're great at sport they're ordinary people. you wanna boost it so players become billionairs you lose a lot of the link with fans. I'm all in favour for players being able to earn a decent amount, but what amounts to decent and practical seems to be getting blown out the window....

i'd hate to see the day when players are surrounded by bodyguards and chaeffered everywhere, where the average fan ant ask for an autpgraph without being asked to pay for it. i'd hate to see the day players get to the stage that they're so far seperated from the fan they forget why they play the game.

and willie if you want to strike, simply dont play origin there'll be a sh*tload of palyers willing to take your place

badav

Bench
This is just another point that proves that willie mason is not a very smart guy at all. How could we have people of the intelligence of willie mason telling the NRL what to pay the players and what the minimum wages should be?? Anyone that agrees with what he says is an idiot.

miccle

Bench
f*ck me, I'm 22... I work 62 hours a week for 65k a year, Monday to Saturday, two jobs.

A change to 120k would be ludicrous.