What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 WC | Group B | New Zealand 48-0 France | Avignon

Group B: New Zealand v France

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmfsd

Juniors
Standing ovation in the last minute was awesome to see. Reckon Duport was the frogs strongest, he looked pretty handy in a well beaten side

babyg

Juniors
French were brave.

The whole of the northern hemisphere better learn quickly how to difuse those cross field kicks.

deluded pom?

Coach
French were brave.

The whole of the northern hemisphere better learn quickly how to difuse those cross field kicks.

The way the game started I thought NZ would simply bomb the wingers and centres all night and run up a cricket score.

Bovrick

Juniors
The French really mssed him, Bentley went OK but the French really lost their way when Mounis went to dummy half and he looked like a duck out of water.

I rate Theo Fages but though he looked very gun shy, he should have taken more control and I was really diasppointed in the French attack, they have a sellout crowd, against one of the top sides and they throw that attack against them. They really needed to throw a bit of caution to the wind it they were to have any chance at all, I would rather seeing them go down 60-nil down and show some enterprise in attack than that dull, prudent showing today.

I was also disappointed in Larroyer, he's a big unit but had a few dropped balls and was very lethargic in attack.

To be fair to Fages, he's still a teenager in a team absolutely dominated by the opposition. I thought he defended admirably. But I have to agree that the policy to play conservatively was bizarre.

Big challenge for the French coming up too, Bosc/Elima etc aren't going to be around forever.

Bosc is a smart player, hopefully he goes into coaching when he retires. I'd love for him to be an assistant to a top NRL coach before moving on to coach France over the next decade.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Back from the game. Here are some notes:

(1) Good to see and hear Kiwis, Australians, Americans and Scottish at the game. Actually there was quite a bit of Kiwi support in the crowd. A couple of NRL jerseys floating around, a lot of RLWC2013 merchandise being sold to punters. A lot of rugby union jerseys (All Blacks and France) also in attendence.

(2) Also present were the Serbian national and U18 teams who take on PACA selection teams today.

(3) The crowd were more or less expecting a flogging, knowing quite well the level of the Kiwis. It would have been good if France has scored some points however. No one got upset, it was more an attitude of resignation than disappointment.

(4) Very few left before the full-time hooter and in general the crowd were great, applauding the Kiwis at the end and giving everyone a standing ovation for the final minute (which resulted in a Kiwi try). I don't know if it was shown on 7mate, but there was a French flag in each stand made from cardboard bits the crowd held up at the start of the game. As usual a band was in attendance. The ground speaker was pushing very heavily the social media side, asking people to twitter away - it was almost cringe worthy.

(5) This was a record crowd for the ground, which also hosts soccer matches.

(6) A lot of the comments here are spot on regarding the weak and uncreative French attack. I think this comes from Agar to be honest. The French really need to get a decent coach and get them earlier - three weeks is not enough time. Robinson would have been good. To be fair, they tried a bit at the start of the second half and looked threatening, but the Kiwi defence was just too well drilled. Any breaks were quickly shut down and there were some great try-saving tackles near the line.

(7) The French tried hard in defense and gave plently to the huge Kiwi fowards, but it became too much in the end and the offloads came thick and fast. Their kick defense was very poor, once or twice not even attempting to jump.

(8) I still think the French team has improved with respect to a few years ago, it is just that everyone else except PNG and Wales has improved also.

(9) There was a fair bit of print media coverage after the game but this is usually the case when France get flogged, they like having a sly dig.

Last edited:

Latest posts