What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'14 // R1 // Thu // Rabbitohs 28-8 Roosters // ANZ

Round 1: Rabbitohs v Roosters

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swarzey

Bench
Tom Burgess is better than Moa BV? Starting to think the media circus that follows your club is clouding your judgement. Only reason he ever played first grade is because Crowe has an influence on the team Souths field every round.

BranVan3000

Coach
Tom Burgess is better than Moa BV? Starting to think the media circus that follows your club is clouding your judgement. Only reason he ever played first grade is because Crowe has an influence on the team Souths field every round.

Yeah a forward who averages 110m per game off the bench in his FIRST season isnt a first grader. Hows your judgement?

Card Shark

Immortal
Thur night teams should have been named today I reckon

They'll name them 1 hr before kickoff to keep everyone guessing. ;-)

It does surprise me that they weren't released early to build this game up a bit more.

Last edited:

English Rose

Juniors
Geez Souths bench is ordinary. As soon as Sam and George go off Souths are in trouble IMHO, they will lose momentum. It's like having Miranda Kerr on your arm and ditching her for Kelly Osbourne!

Noa

First Grade
Roosters should won this, too settled.

I think South's 3/4 line and some bench spots will look a bit different come round 20 though. Avuaa, Walker , Johnston and Keary will give them a far more potent look.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I wish we didn't play the Roosters first up every year. The media hype is so big that the winner will be worshiped and the loser picked apart.

Anyway...

I think we'll lose this one. Damn the Roosters are a good team, and they're fielding almost the exact same line up that won a GF... and we look weaker than last year in my opinion (if Keary was fit, different story)

Lucas-Con

Juniors
Should be a close first game I say Roosters by 6 and Mitchel Pearce to prove tonight why he should stay in the Origin side and why Reynolds is overated.

SBW to get a try and about 3 try assists on his own so shut your face yous an embarrasment

BranVan3000

Coach
Roosters should won this, too settled.

I think South's 3/4 line and some bench spots will look a bit different come round 20 though. Avuaa, Walker , Johnston and Keary will give them a far more potent look.

Do you rate Auva'a?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Should be a close first game I say Roosters by 6 and Mitchel Pearce to prove tonight why he should stay in the Origin side and why Reynolds is overated.

SBW to get a try and about 3 try assists on his own so shut your face yous an embarrasment

How about myth Pearce proves why he should stay in the Origin team when he's actually playing in the Origin team?

big hit!

Bench
Yep.

The crap Burgess brother is clearly better than Moa.

2013 PROVED that.

And Guerra probably made more line breaks and scored more tries than Teo and McQueen combined.

He was a beast in the 2nd half of the season where as McQueen and Teo were pussy cats.

But that's marginal. Your assertion that the crap BB is better than Moa however is hilarious. I suppose you'd take Dave Tyrell over Moa as well!

with selection of the outside forwards (apart from SBW), it all depends on who you have as coach for mine. Robinson would get two of them running off Maloney or Pearce and this worked really well for the Roosters last year. one of them would be a decoy for the other, or both would be decoys and Jennings or SKD would receive, or Maloney and Pearce would decoy all of them and use it themselves. They always had superiority of numbers and several options in these circumstances. It was difficult to stop and all those players benefited from great coaching tactical play.

It'll be interesting to see what opposition coaches come up with to try and negate it, as well as how Robinson tweaks it this season.

and btw, Tom isn't the shit Burgess. that's Luke. both he and Moa deserve to be in the team. i'd take Moa without hesitation if he was able to start on the field. Can't deny Tommy wasn't consistently good off the bench though.

big hit!

Bench
can't see where Souths have improved too much TBH. Tuquiri, Reddy, Champion (even though he was there last year) aren't too much of a trade up to the big weakness they had in comparison to the other top teams last year in the back line.

Reynolds has to step up with a consistent kicking game and become a threat with ball in hand. Any talk of Origin is still way too premature, I don't give a f**k if Souths steam roll the first two months. there are several better options in NSW than him at the moment and he has to clearly demonstrate improvement in these areas, not just piggy back off the middle forwards which he has largely done in his first two seasons.

the move of Sutton into the middle now gives them off-load potential in this part of the field rather than just battering rams which made them one-dimensional last year. there's no doubt Souths will roll into the top 4 off the back of their middle forwards again. they are just too big and strong for the middle units of just about every other team in the league. but Sutton moving in here gives them more options for Luke & GI to run off.

Souths could very well win this game. I don't think they well, and even if they do, I wouldn't read much into it. We're still closer in time to last year's GF than this year's. Lots of ball to be played.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Souths at full strength have close to the best 13 in the comp, problem for them this year is depth. Look at the their bench with just a couple of injuries, it looks shithouse compared to the other top teams

BranVan3000

Coach
can't see where Souths have improved too much TBH. Tuquiri, Reddy, Champion (even though he was there last year) aren't too much of a trade up to the big weakness they had in comparison to the other top teams last year in the back line.

Reynolds has to step up with a consistent kicking game and become a threat with ball in hand. Any talk of Origin is still way too premature, I don't give a f**k if Souths steam roll the first two months. there are several better options in NSW than him at the moment and he has to clearly demonstrate improvement in these areas, not just piggy back off the middle forwards which he has largely done in his first two seasons.

the move of Sutton into the middle now gives them off-load potential in this part of the field rather than just battering rams which made them one-dimensional last year. there's no doubt Souths will roll into the top 4 off the back of their middle forwards again. they are just too big and strong for the middle units of just about every other team in the league. but Sutton moving in here gives them more options for Luke & GI to run off.

Souths could very well win this game. I don't think they well, and even if they do, I wouldn't read much into it. We're still closer in time to last year's GF than this year's. Lots of ball to be played.
Unless Walker is a revelation at five eight, I don't think we are going to see what this team can accomplish until about round 16 when Keary is due to return

Latest posts