What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 yr old age restriction for NRL?

Geohood

Bench
Was there a rule introduced recently that you have to be 18 now to play first grade NRL?

Smith and Taylor at the Roosters said that one of the 17 year olds was going to play FG this year but isn't 18 yet and not allowed.. Is this just an internal restriction they put on themselves or is this an NRL wide thing now? I haven't been able to find any articles from the past year.

woodyk2

First Grade
Did they change it after the cronulla fellow,Adam Ritson??? copped to many head knocks? I'm sure he was only 17 when he made his debut.

Didgi

Did they change it after the cronulla fellow,Adam Ritson??? copped to many head knocks? I'm sure he was only 17 when he made his debut.

Given it wasn't in effect last year when Jason Taumalolo made his debut at 17, I don't think so.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
In recent times we've had Jordan Rankin a 16, Chris Lawrence debuted at 17.

Im not sure if there is a rule but I think the Cowboys wanted to play Josh Hannay at 16 years ago but was deemed too young.

Eels Dude

Coach

Rubbish. Karmichael Hunt, Israel Folau, and Luke Burt among others made their debut at 17. Jordan Rankin made his debut for the Titans a couple of years ago when he was just 16.

Didgi

I think James Roberts was not long 18 when he debuted, that'd be the youngest for this season.

Jordan Rankin debuting at 16 was a pure publicity stunt from the Titans. It was such a typical "look at us" move. I mean how else can you justify debuting a player that sh*t at that age?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Was there a rule introduced recently that you have to be 18 now to play first grade NRL?

Smith and Taylor at the Roosters said that one of the 17 year olds was going to play FG this year but isn't 18 yet and not allowed.. Is this just an internal restriction they put on themselves or is this an NRL wide thing now? I haven't been able to find any articles from the past year.

I think the roosters delayed their debut because they weren't legally allowed to drink. They don't want to ruin the honest, disciplined and relaxed culture that exists at the roosters.

033900-nate-myles.jpg

I think they definitely should look at putting in a restriction, but it should be 17. Or 17 and 6 months perhaps.

That way the Titans won't pull any more publicity stunts. 16 is ridiculous.

Didgi

Perhaps if you're turning 18 before the Grand Final you can debut that year.

I know that's how a few other age-restricted comps work, unders and overs.