What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Centy Coast

Juniors
You’ll get no disagreement from me that the Blacktown arrangements are stupid.

I agree that the NRL should have stepped in. If they had no plan for what would come for both regions, which they didn’t, then they should have forced the merger to continue to exist in some form. If dissolving was unavoidable, then at least until they had some semblance of a plan for both teams/regions.
I remember that Commonwealth Games runner Melinda Gainsford-Taylor had Northern Beaches locals signing petitions and she was all over the news in opposition to the Sea Eagles bringing over all these young Blacktown players for their junior representative Harold Matt’s and S.G.Ball teams.

Vlad59

Juniors
Great 16-12 win by the Bears (2nd) over the Newtown Jets (3rd), half-time 12-0 to the Bears.
Not bad when the Bears didn’t have one Storm NRL contracted player playing for them today and the Jets had 14 contracted Sharks players in their 17.
The Bears now have one hand on the Frank Hyde Shield and one the Perth license lol.

View attachment 89673
Given this is an expansion thread could we get more score updates for the Bears across all grrades, the names of all in their squads, the names of their wives, their food preferences and favourite movies?

Centy Coast

Juniors
so they ma

so they managed all this without board approval??
I remember there was a Save the Bears Club, and lots of issues at Board room level, it got very messy.
I don’t know the in and outs of it all, but I know Club members tried to oust the Board at the time.
One of the culprits was just in the paper the other week reliving his experience during this time, the death threats, the slashed tyres, how he could never show his face at North Sydney Oval ever again.
He forgot to mention his big Underbelly like payout that he received at the time.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Given this is an expansion thread could we get more score updates for the Bears across all grrades, the names of all in their squads, the names of their wives, their food preferences and favourite movies?
Seeing as how this is an expansion thread and you already follow the Sharks, how about you go over to the Sharks forum.
Atleast the Bears results are relevant to this Expansion page as they seem to be in the prime position to be the 18th/19th team as the Perth Bears, Vlad from Transylvania.

RedVee

First Grade
Unfortunately $$$ money talks and everybody has a price, the two Bears Officials in charge at the time became very wealthy men by selling the club out, one ended up with a brand new Maserati, the other ended up with a highly paid position in Manly Leagues Club.
Whoever the CEO / Club Secretary was at Norths came to a St George Footy Club meeting the year before. He seemed pretty impressive, spoke to us about safe guarding the clubs future by the move to the Central Coast. I felt for the Bears the way it worked out. It did seem that the Bears were following a blueprint agreed to by head office.

I can’t think of the guys name, someone Ritchie maybe? You might know @Centy Coast . I don’t know the link between Saints and Norths except the ARL team link, and I’m guessing now, but maybe through Peter Doust who I think played a year of 3rds at Norths before concentrating on his hospital administration career.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Just thought I would post this again to give WA fans something to look forward to.
And to get Vlad to actually show an interest in his feeder club team, did I mention that the Jets had 14 contracted Sharks players out there today for them lol.
The Bears now jump to 1st position on the NSW Cup competition table after the Canberra Raiders 18 drew with the South Sydney Rabbitohs 18 earlier today.

IMG_4782.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Nope

most played league before then get offered scholarships to places like kings for free (up to 50k a he’s tuition fee)

suaali was a panthers junior or around there

the number of genuine union juniors in Australia is very few

they’ve all played league first

When the Northern Eagles joint venture folded and the license went to Manly (kudos to Arko and Fulton) the NRL should have stepped in as they did when the Gold Coast Titans and other NRL clubs nearly folded.
A massive mistake by the NRL and utter selfishness by Manly.
Central Coast fans knew the merger was a takeover, they started not turning up to games because they knew Manlys intention was to move back down to Brokevale all along.
Perth people now think if a Perth Bears team struggles, the Bears will do a Manly on Perth and try to move over to Gosford or whatever.
Sorry the Bears are not like Manly.
I’m sure that the NRL will now have contract clauses in place protecting both sides of the merger, Arko and Fulton had way too much influence in ARL circles back in those days.
I've always said Arthurson was corrupt and biased. Manly were a protected species under Arthurson and Quayle.

Super League wouldn't have happened with a competent and fair administration running the game.

reanimate

Bench
Their parents were bears fans

I’ve seen comments from people on social media (under 30) saying they will support the bears if return

the north shore of Sydney is a rugby league desert. They don’t support manly

you know what the solution is
That’s what you’ll get, the few kids of Bears fans that have been convinced by their parents to care. A lot who have grown up without seeing the Bears as a first grade side will be apathetic.

They’ve mostly missed the kids of parents who aren’t Bears supporters that have moved into the area after the Bears were left out of the comp. That doesn’t add up to much youth support.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s what you’ll get, the few kids of Bears fans that have been convinced by their parents to care. A lot who have grown up without seeing the Bears as a first grade side will be apathetic.

They’ve mostly missed the kids of parents who aren’t Bears supporters that have moved into the area after the Bears were left out of the comp. That doesn’t add up to much youth support.
All of the north shore kids

even the ones who would follow swans or Waratahs

final say

Juniors
I said once before that the NRL has to play alone with the feds diplomacy..has the be a partner in that regard. And that was the PNG NRL team...play the game...lip service.
Now we have 40 million dedicated to Leichhardt ovel.. see how it works?

Vlad59

Juniors
Seeing as how this is an expansion thread and you already follow the Sharks, how about you go over to the Sharks forum.
Atleast the Bears results are relevant to this Expansion page as they seem to be in the prime position to be the 18th/19th team as the Perth Bears, Vlad from Transylvania.
The bears aren’t an expansion team. They are a Sydney relic. They are a parasite club trying to feed off the hard work of a genuine expansion effort in Perth.

Vlad59

Juniors
Just thought I would post this again to give WA fans something to look forward to.
And to get Vlad to actually show an interest in his feeder club team, did I mention that the Jets had 14 contracted Sharks players out there today for them lol.
The Bears now jump to 1st position on the NSW Cup competition table after the Canberra Raiders 18 drew with the South Sydney Rabbitohs 18 earlier today.

View attachment 89681
Check that crowd out! Those two fans are having a ball!

Latest posts