What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Colk

First Grade
Storm were run by News Ltd when the company held a 50% stake in the game. They were better funded than every team bar the Broncos between 1998 and 2012. They rorted the system.

Perth won't have these luxuries.

Sure.

They still had to recruit those players and mould them into the players they became

Secondly, the Broncos have had the same advantages with News Ltd. They have won one competition over the last 20 years.

Thirdly, they have won multiple competitions since 2012 so it is obviously not all News Ltd.

I don’t like them either. But sometimes you just have to admit that they have been better run than any other club for the past 20 years. That is the biggest reason why they have been successful.

mongoose

Coach
What's your point?

Plenty of Redcliffe juniors have fed into the Broncos over the years. Zero Melbourne juniors have fed into the Broncos.
you said we are worried the Storm will be weakened, I just pointed out the Broncos have been weakened by another Brisbane team. Do you think the Broncos are happy to share players with another team just because they are also from Brisbane?

Maximus

Coach
I don’t like them either. But sometimes you just have to admit that they have been better run than any other club for the past 20 years. That is the biggest reason why they have been successful.

I'm sure most/all of the people here hate Melbourne and it actually pisses me off that I'm even defending them, but some of the shit that is being written is ridiculous.

Wb1234

Referee
Do you read?

If it was purely about location then why have not been constantly successful over the past 20-30 years? You can answer the question when you feel like it.

I am going to throw it out there - I just think that they are the best run club at the moment. They also are lucky that they have clearly the best halfback going at the moment.
Location also matters

what happens when the storm aren’t welll run they can’t fall back on location

storm and swans have been relying upon long periods of on field successes. When that inevitably declines both clubs will be struggling big time

the best halfback who nsw fans were happy to be dropped for Mitch Moses ? Lol

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Sure.

They still had to recruit those players and mould them into the players they became

Secondly, the Broncos have had the same advantages with News Ltd. They have won one competition over the last 20 years.

Thirdly, they have won multiple competitions since 2012 so it is obviously not all News Ltd.

So where is Perth going to get players continually to put a team together

we’ve already got the storm talking players from nsw qld and nz without developing their own and you think adding another similar club is a good idea ?

we’ve already got the storm talking players from nsw qld and nz without developing their own and you think adding another similar club is a good idea ?
Storm will more likely than not struggle when Bellamy and Munster retire. Adding a Perth team into the NRL will exacerbate the Storm's inevitable decline. We could have two dud teams like the Force and Rebels.

Storm are built on a shaky foundation. If PNG and NZ2 get an NRL licence then the Storm will be in really deep shit. If PNG, NZ2 and Perth are the next three teams then Storm and Pirates will become an albatross around the game's neck.

Colk

First Grade
Location also matters

what happens when the storm aren’t welll run they can’t fall back on location

storm and swans have been relying upon long periods of on field successes. When that inevitably declines both clubs will be struggling big time

the best halfback who nsw fans were happy to be dropped for Mitch Moses ? Lol

Location is a fairly big second to how well the club is run (are they stable) and how well they scout for talent.

If you don’t believe me have a look at how well the Roosters and Melbourne have gone over the past twenty years. Compare them to say the Tigers, Knights and Titans heck even the Dragons. Any one of those four clubs have multitude more juniors and much bigger junior areas to choose from and they have been mostly unsuccessful for the past decade or more.

Wb1234

Referee
Location is a fairly big second to how well the club is run (are they stable) and how well they scout for talent.

If you don’t believe me have a look at how well the Roosters and Melbourne have gone over the past twenty years. Compare them to say the Tigers, Knights and Titans heck even the Dragons. Any one of those four clubs have multitude more juniors and much bigger junior areas to choose from and they have been mostly unsuccessful for the past decade or more.
Location is forever

well run comes and goes

panthers are the new reality

clubs with strong juniors will be unbeatable

Canard

Immortal
How would PNG affect the Storm?

You would have to smoke meth to think that players will choose Port Moresby over Melbourne.

And we know it's not a juniors issue, because PNG hasn't produced any to date, bar Olam

blue bags

First Grade
Adelaide. Perth. Hobart. Melbourne
Combined franchise
Southern orcas
Or Southern Marlins
Based in Melbourne
Games played in all 4 cities
100s of sponsorship deal's
Many opportunities for juniors pathways feeder systems growths
4 government sports minister's
And 4 tourism Ministers'
The grounds are already booked
Just need Smart community members
Smart buessness committee

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sure. That wasn’t the point though was it. We are not operating a mercantile system where players can only play for clubs in their local area.

Clubs are successful by how well they are run and the scouting/recruitment they have. Simple.
Theyre stillmstuck in the 80’s with their suburban club mentality, grass hills are great and a player has to be born a stones throw from the ground to count. It’s nonsense, the worlds moved on, professional sports moved on, most fans dont care where a player is born or played u15’s. They just want winning teams.

If most players come from two states, so be it, no one cares as long as there’s enough depth for the comp to be a high quality league.

Wb1234

Referee
Theyre stillmstuck in the 80’s with their suburban club mentality, grass hills are great and a player has to be born a stones throw from the ground to count. It’s nonsense, the worlds moved on, professional sports moved on, most fans dont care where a player is born or played u15’s. They just want winning teams.

If most players come from two states, so be it, no one cares as long as there’s enough depth for the comp to be a high quality league.
So is twiggy

he loves Sydney rugby league clubs

Wb1234

Referee

So most players can come from two states and it’s not an issue

but if all the teams are from those two states it’s the end of the world

never change pr this is bloody hilarious

the Perth dead’s couldn’t ask for a better figurehead

Latest posts