What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Perth ran that 9s torny and it was abit of a flop as they were expecting alot more attendance. I've been to games in Adelaide and that 9s comp in Perth and Adelaide seems to have a bigger following of Leauge fans...Perth is way more into AFL so at least Adelaide you'd get afew fans jump on board and the flights ain't as far...with Covid around Perth just shuts he boarder whenever so it would cause some havoc.

I'd have a team in Adelaide but PNG would get the biggest following or a second NZ team.
That may be the case but PNG is still very much a third world country where crime is rife.

I highly doubt any top NRL stars would be lining up to move their family to Port Moresby in the next 20-30 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth ran that 9s torny and it was abit of a flop as they were expecting alot more attendance. I've been to games in Adelaide and that 9s comp in Perth and Adelaide seems to have a bigger following of Leauge fans...Perth is way more into AFL so at least Adelaide you'd get afew fans jump on board and the flights ain't as far...with Covid around Perth just shuts he boarder whenever so it would cause some havoc.

I'd have a team in Adelaide but PNG would get the biggest following or a second NZ team.
Was it? It attracted 24.8k people despite the sht scheduling and lack of promotion. A couple of months earlier the more prestigious world nines only attracted 28k in a city 2.5 times bigger where RL is supposed to be king.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
can't be insignificant " your words" & be selling out major venues too you halfwit
the forum clown strikes again lol
Lol, we got over 200k going along to the red bull air racing event when it was on, pretty sure air racing isn’t a significant sport in perth! Basing nrls significance on one off hyped events is about as stupid as you are! What it does show is interest. If only we had an nrl with balls to capatilise on that interest.

I’d make an ostrich sound, but not sure what they make lol
if it’s anything. Like WA their fans will be watching on fox/kayo not fta.
if you can’t see the growth of afls presence in nsw over the last 25 years there’s really nothing I can say that will convince you. Sht last time I was there I walked out of Sydney airport to be greeted by a massive gws billboard And afl ads on the conveyor belt tv.

afl in nrl heartland >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nrl in afl heartland

A statement from the afl department of public enlightenment and propaganda

The Great Dane

First Grade
Was it? It attracted 24.8k people despite the sht scheduling and lack of promotion. A couple of months earlier the more prestigious world nines only attracted 28k in a city 2.5 times bigger where RL is supposed to be king.
It's beyond a stretch to suggest that the 9s World Cup is more prestigious than the NRL Nines TBF.

That may be the case but PNG is still very much a third world country where crime is rife.

I highly doubt any top NRL stars would be lining up to move their family to Port Moresby in the next 20-30 years
Perhaps base their players in North Queensland and fly in and out of PNG on match days. Just saying

PNGRFL should saddle up with the Cowboys. It's the closest club to PNG and struggles in the player market due to its regional location and distance from Brisbane to Sydney. There's less distance between Sydney and Brisbane than there is between Brisbane and Townsville.

The Cowboys and PNGRFL should look at an arrangement that aligns every player and coach from the Digicel Cup to the Cowboys football department. Let players from the PNGRFL train and trial with the Cowboys for 6 weeks during pre-season, expenses covered by the ARLC. Even if it doesn't lead to dozens of players from PNG playing in the NRL, it will improve them as footballers and make the Digicel Cup a stronger competition. Coaches from PNG can go through the Cowboys system to make them better at preparing PNG juniors for football in Australia.

MugaB

Coach
PNGRFL should saddle up with the Cowboys. It's the closest club to PNG and struggles in the player market due to its regional location and distance from Brisbane to Sydney. There's less distance between Sydney and Brisbane than there is between Brisbane and Townsville.

The Cowboys and PNGRFL should look at an arrangement that aligns every player and coach from the Digicel Cup to the Cowboys football department. Let players from the PNGRFL train and trial with the Cowboys for 6 weeks during pre-season, expenses covered by the ARLC. Even if it doesn't lead to dozens of players from PNG playing in the NRL, it will improve them as footballers and make the Digicel Cup a stronger competition. Coaches from PNG can go through the Cowboys system to make them better at preparing PNG juniors for football in Australia.
Why? They are 9 million people pop strong, all they need is a Australian based city to live out of they can have their own identity that has nothing to do with the cowboys, currently there is nothing in it for them

Why? They are 9 million people pop strong, all they need is a Australian based city to live out of they can have their own identity that has nothing to do with the cowboys, currently there is nothing in it for them
Where's the money going to come from?

If it's based in Cairns and plays its games there then how many locals are going to attend matches for a team that represents PNG?

If the team flies to Port Moresby on gameday then it's going to be performing more travel than any other club.

If Redcliffe can only convince one topline player to sign, despite being based in the world's second largest RL city and having more assets than most Sydney clubs, how on Earth will a PNG team based in Cairns entice anyone to choose them over the 17 other clubs?

Where's the money going to come from?

If it's based in Cairns and plays its games there then how many locals are going to attend matches for a team that represents PNG?

If the team flies to Port Moresby on gameday then it's going to be performing more travel than any other club.

If Redcliffe can only convince one topline player to sign, despite being based in the world's second largest RL city and having more assets than most Sydney clubs, how on Earth will a PNG team based in Cairns entice anyone to choose them over the 17 other clubs?
Rumour mill says they ill be based in North Queensland and fly in and out of PNG on match days

Latest posts