What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally, and for max revenue for the game, we’d have a twenty team comp that included perth, Adelaide, brisbane south side, and nz2. Unfortunately we don’t have 4 spots free. So we lose someone or except we aren’t going to maximise what we can be. Nrl don’t have the balls to lose a weak link from sydney.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Ideally, and for max revenue for the game, we’d have a twenty team comp that included perth, Adelaide, brisbane south side, and nz2. Unfortunately we don’t have 4 spots free. So we lose someone or except we aren’t going to maximise what we can be. Nrl don’t have the balls to lose a weak link from sydney.
20 teams isn't possible until NZ2 are established. That's the source for more talent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
20 teams isn't possible until NZ2 are established. That's the source for more talent.
better pathways, png, England and France, union. Nz, islands. So much untapped potential for pathways and new players.
Any plan for a 20 team comp, and there isn’t one yet, must include a pathways plan that developers these opportunities for greater player depth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best case scenario for PNG is to identify the best 12yo kids playing the game at school level and get them into an academy that provides them with a good diet and education. This would be a better allocation of funds from Albanese and the ARLC.
Yep, one of wa clubs is now sending their best 3 kids to the raiders every year. PNG could do same with top 15 year olds getting scholarships with nrl clubs into their elite pathway systems. Or a new nrl club could have a proper and serious long term development pathway with pngrl. Hunters is one way but that isn’t yet really delivering many nrl players

Perth Red

Post Whore
Abdo on expansion. Starts at 5min
Basically nothing decided, nothing imminent.

taipan

Referee
Stains are a marketable brand that can capture that whole market. You guys won the granny and it added zero to the game. Giving the shire it's own team is exactly what Bennett is talking about when he says Sydney is selfish. Perth sharks makes sense and despite your bias you know it.
They used to be very marketable, they have lost that mystique, in contrast to Souths. But crap coaches ,neglect of the City part of St George on juniors, and internal squabbles, they can't fill Kogarah on many occasions. If you think moving Cronulla is going to enthuse Cronulla fans and their big junior league to come over to the Dragons, good luck.They can't even capture Kogarah and surrounds

taipan

Referee
Abdo on expansion. Starts at 5min
Basically nothing decided, nothing imminent.

Why would expansion proposals, decisions, be imminent ,when they have just introduced a team in a considered and tested manner ? And it needs time to settle in after all the hoopla jazz.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would expansion proposals, decisions, be imminent ,when they have just introduced a team in a considered and tested manner ? And it needs time to settle in after all the hoopla jazz.
Last week they were talking about 2025 lol

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Only an idiot would suggest culling a team from the capital of a rugby league state that is the epicentre of an economy of 588 billion with a population of 5.2 million.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Apart from your fragile self this harmed what and who else?

As usual whinging for the sake of whinging .
The sport's image for one.

It's pretty hypocritical, and embarrassing, for us to criticise astroturfed "rivalries" in other sports, like The Battle of the Bridge for example, then turn around and pull the same BS corporate waffle with 'The Battle of Brisbane'.

I mean tell me with a straight face that nonsense headlines like this aren't embarrassing- Why the Broncos-Dolphins rivalry has changed rugby league in Brisbane forever. There would have to have been time for an actual rivalry to develop before it could change anything FFS.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's way to early to suddenly plonk another Brisbane team into the comp is the point @The Great Dane was making, for mine.

It's at least another 5 to 7 years(and realistically 10), to give the Dolphins some breathing room.

Rush it, and we end up diluting the market and becoming the A League.
It depends on how they're going I guess, but I'd probably look to give it even longer than that.

10 years minimum would be my bet, but who knows, you might be able to push it through quicker if the Dolphins and Broncos are flying in a few years time. I still wouldn't give Brisbane another club before Perth and Adelaide have their first though, but that's a different discussion.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The sport's image for one.

It's pretty hypocritical, and embarrassing, for us to criticise astroturfed "rivalries" in other sports, like The Battle of the Bridge for example, then turn around and pull the same BS corporate waffle with 'The Battle of Brisbane'.

I mean tell me with a straight face that nonsense headlines like this aren't embarrassing- Why the Broncos-Dolphins rivalry has changed rugby league in Brisbane forever. There would have to have been time for an actual rivalry to develop before it could change anything FFS.
I don't give a hoot what anyone thinks.

And the NRL can't control what the media writes.

T to the T

Juniors
Anyone advocating culling a club or moving it is moron who clearly doesn't understand the effects the SL War had on the code. There's a reason why there is a feel good factor in RL again and the future is looking rosey. The competition is growing, not f**king about with existing sides. There is a feel good factor again. Give Perth their own side, then go NZ2 (or PNG) and a 3rd Brisbane side in time to ride the Brisbane buzz for the 2032 Olympics.

Bennett is wrong here. f**king around with existing sides is stupid and just gives AwFuL and yawnion a leg up like what happened at the turn of the millennium.

Latest posts