What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
$135mil seems a bit low to be making that claim to me. Can't speak directly about the other clubs, but the Raiders own more in assets than that, about $140mil in their last report IIRC and ever growing. I'd imagine that at least a few of the other clubs would have larger portfolios than the Raiders and that a few more would be there abouts as well.

So yeah $135mil would be more than most clubs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a bit of creative accounting to come up with the claim that they'd be in the top four richest.

The Daily telegraph did a rich list of all the clubs assets about a month ago. I don't have access to the article, because who'd pay for that shit, but it's here for anybody that does and are interested.
makes me laugh when LC owners say this, its not like they are going to sell off their pokie dens to help out a struggling FC side of the operations! Going by this twisted logic Western Force are the one of the richest sports club in the country going off their owners wealth.

On owners wealth Id have thought
Roosters
Souths
Penrith
Raiders
Eels
Broncos
Storm

would be ahead of Easts?

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
makes me laugh when LC owners say this, its not like they are going to sell off their pokie dens to help out a struggling FC side of the operations! Going by this twisted logic Western Force are the one of the richest sports club in the country going off their owners wealth.

On owners wealth Id have thought
Roosters
Souths
Penrith
Raiders
Eels
Broncos

would be ahead of Easts?
South’s are first

over 40 billion

The Great Dane

First Grade
I love the semantics

shame your knowledge of the history isn’t on par with that

the major rule changes didn’t occur for over a decade lmao
I don't think you know what semantics means. . .

You misunderstood what I said, whatever, it happens, stop being a knob about it.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The difference between the Brisbane Tigers and the other clubs is a) the market they're in and b) supply and demand.

Brisbane Tigers will be the only NRL club based in southern Brisbane. On top of that, they'll be just the third club in the world's second largest and most parochial rugby league market. There's a strong demand for more RL content in SEQ from local clubs. We know this because television ratings for rugby league in Brisbane are significantly higher when Queensland clubs are playing. Companies in SEQ will pay good money to sponsor the Brisbane Tigers and purchase corporate boxes at Lang Park to see them play.

Clubs like the Raiders don't have a world class stadium like Lang Park to draw strong money from corporate hospitality. Nor do they have a huge amount of people turning in to watch them play in their market.

There's no doubt the Brisbane Tigers will generate a similar amount from football operations as the Dolphins.
None of this has any relevance to East's claim that their assets would make them one of the top four richest clubs in the NRL.

BTW you desperately need to read up on the law of diminishing returns and market saturation, and it's funny that you're pretending that you'd support this side like you did the Dolphins.

Canard

Immortal

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Just while I'm explaining google trends to people, this is an important graph to see:
View attachment 86991
View attachment 86992

Now just to explain, I use worldwide for this because if I only use Australia it cuts off the NRL support for the Warriors in NZ. Basically NZ, NSW & QLD are for the NRL what VIC, WA & SA are for AFL. That said the trend line for growth is roughly the same for the NRL if you only look at Australia (actually it results in an either bigger growth rate for the NRL but I still think it's important to include NZ).

So look at 2004. The NRL average was 25 to AFL's 49. Basically, people searched for AFL twice as much as NRL. Not surprising to be honest. NRL was only a couple of years out from Super League and it was on a low ebb.

In these 20 years search interest for the AFL has gone from an average of 49 to 80 -- a 63% increase. Population growth was about 35% in that time. So that's an organic increase for the AFL.

However, the NRL has gone from a 25 average in 2004 (it wasn't much higher in 2005 either) to a 76 average in 2003 - so it has TRIPLED the volume of searches for NRL in that time - remember population growth was only 35%. 304% vs 35%.

Now it's not because NRL fans are better at using google than AFL fans (NRL fans are smarter though because they don't watch stringbeans in tank tops fumble and molest each other) or do it more often on an individual basis. It's organic GROWING interest in NRL, particularly growing since 2017, even despite the covid blip which you can also see.

I'd also argue that the peaks in 2023 for AFL weren't far off where they were in 2007 and 2011 for AFL. So basically, the peak interest for AFL today is roughly what it was 13-17 years ago. Their average in 2023 was similar to what it was 2007, 2017 and 2019 too. Make of that what you will.

You can also see the gap between the NRL and AFL has closed to the point where the week by week graph for 2024 looks like this:

View attachment 86993

Now I may be just a backwater country media statistician and analyst, but that to me looks like two waves lines pretty much in synchronization. Essentially, the interest in AFL and NRL are now the same. If you include the boost from origin and internationals, I'd say overall in Australia and New Zealand, more people are searching for rugby league than AFL.

Now prediction time. If both trend lines continue, the NRL will start to pull away from the AFL and the gap will increase.
Interesting info. I've always maintained that the AFL has peaked. They have no where left to expand and their TV ratings and attendances have been fairly stagnant in Sydney and Brisbane for 25 years.

The NRL has so much more potential growth to tap into.

Vlad59

Juniors
Interesting info. I've always maintained that the AFL has peaked. They have no where left to expand and their TV ratings and attendances have been fairly stagnant in Sydney and Brisbane for 25 years.

The fact we have endless meaningless dockyard brawls over where the next three clubs should be proves your point. Meanwhile the fumblers are arguing over Tassie.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The games never lacked potential.
Realising that potential, now thats a whole different ball game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And now we are realising that potential under pvl

afl is second best and left to copying him
Its certainly on an upward positive trajectory.
On expansion its achieved nothing yet. Its added another heartland club that was 20 years overdue. If it does better with what comes next we shall see.

Wb1234

Referee
Its certainly on an upward positive trajectory.
On expansion its achieved nothing yet. Its added another heartland club that was 20 years overdue. If it does better with what comes next we shall see.
If Perth comes in it’s another failed club from 30 years ago on that basis

assets
Vegas
Magic
Expansion

we are number one again

Latest posts