What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
Did you read this part of the article?

The business case acknowledges an $18.89 million per year funding gap, meaning additional AFL, territory and federal funding is likely to be required for the team to operate.​
It expects the team, once operational, to involve 165 jobs on and off the field and 180 indirect employees, while also conceding a number of risks.​
These include needing a fit-for-purpose stadium, commercial viability, Indigenous community support and the team to perform well, noting: “Expansion teams in the AFL have experienced mixed successes in terms of performance. Sustained poor on and off field performance of a NT Club may have a detrimental impact on its long-term success and viability.”​

It will be a disaster.

Who will want to play for them?
A= Doesn't matter
B= Who Cares
C= This is an 18th NRL team thread, so "derailed"
D= basically copying NRLs PNG innovative, looking for govt hand out, and if NRL get it, so will they
E= they'll lack crowds as they do for GWS, Suns etc
So great... main thing is it's already dolphins territory hawhawhaw
I'm not sure why we should care, they are delusional to think that their draft will fix this type of expansion, where we might have no draft, but we make sure expanding in area players actually want to be, or come from playing our game, to me it's just ticking boxes and dots on a map, if we had a draft I'm sure there'd be a nrl team in Broome by now ffs

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Did you read this part of the article?

The business case acknowledges an $18.89 million per year funding gap, meaning additional AFL, territory and federal funding is likely to be required for the team to operate.​
It expects the team, once operational, to involve 165 jobs on and off the field and 180 indirect employees, while also conceding a number of risks.​
These include needing a fit-for-purpose stadium, commercial viability, Indigenous community support and the team to perform well, noting: “Expansion teams in the AFL have experienced mixed successes in terms of performance. Sustained poor on and off field performance of a NT Club may have a detrimental impact on its long-term success and viability.”​

It will be a disaster.

Who will want to play for them?

1. Yes I did. Hence why I clearly said I hope they do it.
2. You have been going on about how there will (emphasis on will) be a third Western Australian fumbleball club. The fumbleball CEO seems to be hosing down that idea. Now that may or may not mean anything in the future (nobody can predict the future) but I would say that if the fumbleball CEO is saying not keen than that would mean that it is definitely far from certain.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
sigh. The Tigers and Storm have shown what a sham NRL membership numbers are. Using them as some sort of growth data evidence at this point in time is ridiculous.
Membership numbers are all busllshit in both sports and don't pretend otherwise.

An example from your game who have been onto this rort for decades...

- Suns 1 game membership in Darwin
- Victoria based membership for Suns, Lions, Swans and Giants (non-ticketed version)
- Non ticketed memberships in general

None of the above give a true representation of these clubs' fan base in their own city so stop being so high and mighty.

Yes, membership numbers are largely bullshit (both sports), who cares. It's a way for clubs to guarantee some revenue up front and get personal info of potential fans to market to. Why do you and Dane have such a bee in your bonnet about it?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well according to their CEO they are not likely, unless he is of course he is being flippant and it was a throwaway line. Btw I really hope they go to Darwin

f**k the fumblers are getting desperate. Tasmania and NT... please do it you arrogant bastards. I love it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its a one game membership because its an on the road game and they are only playing one game there! like I said disingenuous and a quick look would have shown that for the home memberships they have, 3 games is the min. Did you find any examples that actually reflect what NRL clubs are doing ie offering a one game home membership for less than a gate ticket cost?

Yes I know, there is nothing at all wrong with it, its a good way to build a client database. The issue is when people want to throw membership numbers out as some sort of measure of active fanbase or growth when they are clearly not.
Irrelevant. Dane said 1 game memberships don't exist., they do. According to the pair of you the Suns should just ignore the potential to market to people attending their game and just sell them a ticket instead.

BTW... the Broncos 1 game memberships were not advertised online at the start of the season but if you ring and ask you'll get one. I'm sure all clubs (both sports) do this. Why wouldn't they?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Exactly. It would be the best scenario if they went to Darwin.
It would be an absolute disaster... they would be propping up Lions, Suns, GWS, Tassie and NT pretty much indefinitely and in all of those cases not really seeing much overall growth in their TV viewer numbers and dragging down their attendance averages.

Anyway, as I said.. carry on fumblers. You've got nowhere else to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Membership numbers are all busllshit in both sports and don't pretend otherwise.

An example from your game who have been onto this rort for decades...

- Suns 1 game membership in Darwin
- Victoria based membership for Suns, Lions, Swans and Giants (non-ticketed version)
- Non ticketed memberships in general

None of the above give a true representation of these clubs' fan base in their own city so stop being so high and mighty.

Yes, membership numbers are largely bullshit (both sports), who cares. It's a way for clubs to guarantee some revenue up front and get personal info of potential fans to market to. Why do you and Dane have such a bee in your bonnet about it?
never said they wasnt. Fan-based revenue, merch sales and attendances are far better measures of a clubs active fanbase than membership numbers these days.

I only point it out when people throw them up as some sort of data point for how succesful a club is growing. it really isnt hard to add 10k to your membership total with the give aways and one game tickets they offer now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Irrelevant. Dane said 1 game memberships don't exist., they do. According to the pair of you the Suns should just ignore the potential to market to people attending their game and just sell them a ticket instead.

BTW... the Broncos 1 game memberships were not advertised online at the start of the season but if you ring and ask you'll get one. I'm sure all clubs (both sports) do this. Why wouldn't they?
They are about to get another $150mill a year revenue on top of the $900mill they earnt last year. they can afford to do whatever they like.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
never said they wasnt. Fan-based revenue, merch sales and attendances are far better measures of a clubs active fanbase than membership numbers these days.

I only point it out when people throw them up as some sort of data point for how succesful a club is growing. it really isnt hard to add 10k to your membership total with the give aways and one game tickets they offer now.
What about pet memberships?

1. Yes I did. Hence why I clearly said I hope they do it.
2. You have been going on about how there will (emphasis on will) be a third Western Australian fumbleball club. The fumbleball CEO seems to be hosing down that idea. Now that may or may not mean anything in the future (nobody can predict the future) but I would say that if the fumbleball CEO is saying not keen than that would mean that it is definitely far from certain.

If they put a team in Darwin then it will be one of the biggest expansion mistakes in the history of Australian sport.

They're already struggling to prop up the Lions, Suns and Giants. Adding Tasmania and Darwin to the list will be a disaster.

Marlins

Juniors
Bennet’s backing of Perth certainly improves Their chances. With Wayne off contract next year I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been brewing up something With the Perth bid & NRL.
If I had to make a wild prediction today it would be That the Perth Bears will be announced this year with entry in 26/27. Probably do similar to what he & the Dolphins have done, Care taker/Setup for Bennet while relocating and taking a year or two off coaching. Hopefully NS have come to their senses & except a trial game & 1/2 games at NSO annually, anymore then that is asking way too much. There is a good chance of turning the bears into a massive brand.
Perth Bears, NS Bears, Boston Bears, maybe get Burleigh bears on board as well as a possible feeder club. Two feeder clubs in two states.

MugaB

Coach
Bennet’s backing of Perth certainly improves Their chances. With Wayne off contract next year I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s been brewing up something With the Perth bid & NRL.
If I had to make a wild prediction today it would be That the Perth Bears will be announced this year with entry in 26/27. Probably do similar to what he & the Dolphins have done, Care taker/Setup for Bennet while relocating and taking a year or two off coaching. Hopefully NS have come to their senses & except a trial game & 1/2 games at NSO annually, anymore then that is asking way too much. There is a good chance of turning the bears into a massive brand.
Perth Bears, NS Bears, Boston Bears, maybe get Burleigh bears on board as well as a possible feeder club. Two feeder clubs in two states.
Not sure the 3 year contract at souths will let him set up a coaching clinic in lovely sunny hot perf, besides there's no bid from Perth, has everyone forgotten that... meanwhile the bears have said they'll play wherever the nrl/arlc ask them to, but the mainstay favourite line that's been toed is that Png are 18th, with possible 19th and 20th being whoever soon after

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The number of NSO games are the lessor of the issues. Ownership and WA branding are the big ones.

Waynes always backed a club in perth

mongoose

Coach
If they put a team in Darwin then it will be one of the biggest expansion mistakes in the history of Australian sport.

They're already struggling to prop up the Lions, Suns and Giants. Adding Tasmania and Darwin to the list will be a disaster.
are the AFL really struggling to prop up those teams or is this just your little fantasy? actually it seems to be a fantasy amongst a lot of people on this forum. Not sure the AFL are going to bankrupt themselves anytime soon, as much as people wish they did....

MugaB

Coach
are the AFL really struggling to prop up those teams or is this just your little fantasy? actually it seems to be a fantasy amongst a lot of people on this forum. Not sure the AFL are going to bankrupt themselves anytime soon, as much as people wish they did....
Probably not, but jeez what a buzz kill you are..
Imagine being a Pro-AFL pacifist

Canard

Immortal
Anyone who thinks Darwin is a viable option for a national sports team, is the same sort of cracked individual that thinks Cairns, a Pacific Island or PNG team will also work.

Those ideas are quite literally just "dots on a map" and ignore all thought of demographics.

MugaB

Coach
Anyone who thinks Darwin is a viable option for a national sports team, is the same sort of cracked individual that thinks Cairns, a Pacific Island or PNG team will also work.

Those ideas are quite literally just "dots on a map" and ignore all thought of demographics.
NRL =png
AFL =tas, nt
We are all smoking some crack, but you can see it's some government handouts going on

Perth Red

Post Whore

Only way any of those places works is if State or Fed or both chuck in tens of millions.
Tassie Govt is chucking in $12mil a year for ten years for operational costs! No doubt if the Feds did same for NT it would be viable. And like said the AFL is about to get an extra $150mill a year, it can afford whatever club it decides it wants.

PNG needs govt money or its a non starter.

Latest posts