What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Keep up, those are now the only the non negotiables listed above, the Bears will not give up North Sydney as there needs to be a base to attract players from NSW and QLD, if you can’t get your head around this look at the Melbourne Storm, they have Qld Cup sides and a team in the NSW Cup as their feeder clubs.
Hopefully sooner rather later Perth will start their own production line of players but it has taken the Storm 26 years for their pathways to start taking shape with a junior pathways.
The Storm's Jersey Flegg side is still reliant on players from the heartland. Thirty-six of their 40 players were born outside of Victoria. Of the four that were born in Victoria, three of them are Polynesian.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well how is a WA only bid going to appeal to the Eastern States?

Games like when they play Canberra or GC?
fans tune in for many reasons. Form, star players, playing style etc are much bigger drivers for neutrals.
Im not sure there'll be many tuning in for Bears over Pirates in all honesty. There is little to suggest that will be the case.

all be it old data you can see 6 of the 7 lowest rated clubs were from sydney so why would Bears be any better?

1715668995898.png

The whole thing reeks of nostalgia first. So much thought is being given to the old Sydney fanbase without thinking what happens in 30-40 years time when the vast majority of the Gen X and Boomer Bears fanbase are no longer with us. Who from the area is going to care about the WA Bears in 30-40 years time? How are they going to get North Shore kids who have no ties to the Bears to become interested in a WA team?

The whole thing is far from optimal, if the move to WA was done back when they were first left out, they would have had a chance of maintaining a Sydney fanbase that would still be somewhat sizeable in another 20-30 years, like the Swans have in Melbourne. Kids of South Melbourne supporters in Melbourne have been raised being able to go and see the Swans play regularly, keeping the support alive. There’s been over 20 years since the Bears were left out, there’s a generational gap in support for them that will see the Sydney base drop off rapidly down the line.
All of these criticisms can be levelled at Manly for the short-sighted and selfish way they favoured their side of the Northern Eagles venture. If they played their cards right then we could have a strong Northern Eagles engaging Northern Beaches, North Shore and Central Coast. An entire generation would have grown up without seeing Manly play a game in the NRL. Manly threw all of that away so they could return to their base and f**ked over two other regions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How did any new club? I don't really understand your question.
He thinks being called Bears will draw more viewers in Sydney for games featuring Perth. Given some of the lowest drawing games feature Sydney clubs Im not sure where he is getting that notion from. Maybe he believes there really is 250k Bears fans in Sydney who will tune in for Perth games?

Bukowski

Juniors
He thinks being called Bears will draw more viewers in Sydney for games featuring Perth. Given some of the lowest drawing games feature Sydney clubs Im not sure where he is getting that notion from. Maybe he believes there really is 250k Bears fans in Sydney who will tune in for Perth games?
That's a very Sydney centric thought.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Agree, a pre season trial at NSO is all that should happen. If it commercially makes sense and engages a Perth Bears membership in Sydney then Im ok with us taking one home game to Allianz a year against Manly during rivalry round. Playing a game in a 10k stadium with no corporate facilities smacks of nostalgia with no business sense.

Central Coast would make more sense 👍🏻

$30m is cute. What about after?
PRS has a capacity of just 20.5k. The corporate facilities in the western stand are poor. It's hard to see the club averaging more than 12-15k and generating $20m from football operations.

It will not be one of the richer clubs, but will need to fund junior RL across WA. This will not be as easy as Perth Rat and company want us to believe.

Centy Coast

Juniors
They will certainly gain more viewers especially for their WA games via broadcast because of their connection to the Bears, to think they won’t is just being ignorant.
You may not get the old “the Bears must be at North Sydney” fans but most of those will probably be dead by then.
Though V’Landys was definately wrong with his 250K Bears membership statement to say that there wouldn’t be 250K Bears fans spread throughout NSW, QLD and NZ may not be that wide of the mark.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They will certainly gain more viewers especially for their WA games via broadcast because of their connection to the Bears, to think they won’t is just being ignorant.
You may not get the old “the Bears must be at North Sydney” fans but most of those will probably be dead by then.
Though V’Landys was definately wrong with his 250K Bears membership statement to say that there wouldn’t be 250K Bears fans spread throughout NSW, QLD and NZ may not be that wide of the mark.
some all Sydney games such as Manly v Sharks draw lower tv audiences than some non sydney clubs. Where's the evidence a Perth team called Bears will draw more audience than a perth team called Pirates?

So far all Ive heard is it might attract more fans to away games in sydney and it might attract more fta viewers in Sydney. I struggle to see how either matter to perth? If we are being asked to adopt a failed Sydney club and miss out on building our own club identity then I hope theres more in it for us than that!

fans tune in for many reasons. Form, star players, playing style etc are much bigger drivers for neutrals.
Im not sure there'll be many tuning in for Bears over Pirates in all honesty. There is little to suggest that will be the case.

all be it old data you can see 6 of the 7 lowest rated clubs were from sydney so why would Bears be any better?

View attachment 87973
Hold on. When I said the Storm's solid ratings in Queensland and NSW are due to being camped in the top four over the bulk of their existence I was called insane by you, mongoloid and the inbred two-headed hillbilly from Cairns. For years I was told by you, mongoloid and The Great Dunce that the Storm's ratings are "proof" that a Perth-based team will have similar levels of support.

Now you're admitting it all depends on form?

So I was right when I said Perth will need to be overly successful on the field to draw similar TV ratings to the Storm?

It cost News Ltd and ARLC $100m over 20 years to make the Storm a powerhouse on the field. That and the destruction of several clubs in the 1990s.

Where is Perth going to get that sort of money to build their football department?

The Storm benefitted from the funding because most of the clubs lived hand to mouth and didn't have the resources to invest much on football operations. Many of the clubs are catching up to Melbourne due to a) the annual grant being so high and b) strong levels of state funding for high performance training centres and stadia upgrades from the NSW Gov.

Will WA Gov provide the same funding to a Perth-based team?

The irony is Cronulla will be in a stronger position on and off the field than Perth. Cronulla are now one of the more powerful clubs.

docbrown

Coach
Yeah, I'll admit to my bias. But seeing as you started a thread just to bait someone from Perth I'm thinking there's a part of you wanting it to be the Perth Bears just to troll.
I'll be honest. I'm pro the best bidder. If that's Perth then that's great. The NRL is in a position where multiple cities will work.

But I am 100% anti Perth Red. I make no secret about it, I'm sorry if I was too subtle for you.

The potential comedy from Perth Red shifting from bitching endlessly about not having a Perth team to bitching endlessly about having a Perth team that isn't good enough for him is just too priceless.

Centy Coast

Juniors
some all Sydney games such as Manly v Sharks draw lower tv audiences than some non sydney clubs. Where's the evidence a Perth team called Bears will draw more audience than a perth team called Pirates?

So far all Ive heard is it might attract more fans to away games in sydney and it might attract more fta viewers in Sydney. I struggle to see how either matter to perth? If we are being asked to adopt a failed Sydney club and miss out on building our own club identity then I hope theres more in it for us than that!
Trust me not many people I know would tune in to the West Coast Pirates, I’m not being a dick just stating my personal opinion.
I know they definately would if it was their debut game but it wouldn’t hold much weight for people over here.
Most people involved with rugby league would remember the West Coast Pirates being the whipping boys of the S.G.Ball competition many years ago holding the wooden spoon year after year after year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Trust me not many people I know would tune in to the West Coast Pirates, I’m not being a dick just stating my personal opinion.
I know they definately would if it was their debut game but it wouldn’t hold much weight for people over here.
Most people involved with rugby league would remember the West Coast Pirates being the whipping boys of the S.G.Ball competition many years ago holding the wooden spoon year after year after year.
Thats like saying not many people would tune into to watch the Storm in Sydney, which we know is nonsense.
If the ignorance of East coast RL people on here is anything to go by I very much doubt anyone over there even knows Perth had an SG ball side let alone let it influence if theyd tune in to an NRL game lol

Centy Coast

Juniors
Is this going to be televised?
They usually do have their interviews taped, I will post it when they get it done.
As I said I asked if they could do it on Saturday so we will just have to see as North Sydney Oval is holding its Beer, Footy Food Festival and the NSW Cup Magic Round this weekend.