What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
Would be possible if they had the money. That is the hinderance for most of the QCup teams in such a thing
It's why they need a 1st grade pathway, to keep them relevant, to keep the carrot of keeping their reserve grade talent (in showing them they can play for bronx, Storm etc) and also win games using those 18-30 players in the squad that aren't playing that day, all this factors into how competitive they can be in that comp

Centy Coast

Juniors
Would be possible if they had the money. That is the hinderance for most of the QCup teams in such a thing
Geez if the Perth crew think our non-negotiables were bad they haven’t dealt with anybody associated with the Burleigh Bears, it would be 10 games at Burleigh and 2 games in Perth.

Iamback

Coach
It's why they need a 1st grade pathway, to keep them relevant, to keep the carrot of keeping their reserve grade talent (in showing them they can play for bronx, Storm etc) and also win games using those 18-30 players in the squad that aren't playing that day, all this factors into how competitive they can be in that comp

Yeah but the QLD Cup model has the reserve grade spread across a couple of teams.

Kids in Burleigh still have those links. So a club has to have the finances and a want to spend the $millions it takes

Iamback

Coach
Geez if the Perth crew think our non-negotiables were bad they haven’t dealt with anybody associated with the Burleigh Bears, it would be 10 games at Burleigh and 2 games in Perth.

Not sure Burleigh would fund the junior pathways either. I am sure other 2nd tier sides have been sounded out in this process

Santino Patane

Juniors
I would like to see Burleigh Bears buy the Gold Coast Titans. Rebrand as Gold Coast Bears. I'd like to hear what @Santino Patane has to say on this matter. Burleigh Bears aren't that far from Robina Stadium. It would bring the total number of QRL clubs represented at NRL level to two. For their colour scheme they can use gold, silver and black.
I’m not overly keen on any rebrand now mate- the time for that was back in 2015-2017 when the Titans went insolvent and the NRL did their due diligence. The independent review came back that a club needed to stay on the Coast and staying the Titans were the best choice of all. There was serious consideration for all options including removing the licence, relocating and rebranding.

Burleigh are a strong club on the Coast, but very disliked by the rest of the GCRL. Very much Roosters vibes in Sydney, obviously on the smaller scale. The Bears getting the licence would definitely disengage the RL community there, and I think with everything the Coast needs a club to keep all community clubs together.

NRL on the Goldie is solidly the Titans, and any change will be further destabilising. Like it or not, we’re now in our 18th Season and aren’t failing on every metric, so I think we have every right to continue building exactly as we are.

I think there is probably a time and a place to expand in the Dolphins fashion with existing IP, but I don’t think that means every new team should come from this approach. Would have Canberra been as successful if one of their existing clubs came up? I doubt it. Same story on the Coast.

I’m not overly keen on any rebrand now mate- the time for that was back in 2015-2017 when the Titans went insolvent and the NRL did their due diligence. The independent review came back that a club needed to stay on the Coast and staying the Titans were the best choice of all. There was serious consideration for all options including removing the licence, relocating and rebranding.

Burleigh are a strong club on the Coast, but very disliked by the rest of the GCRL. Very much Roosters vibes in Sydney, obviously on the smaller scale. The Bears getting the licence would definitely disengage the RL community there, and I think with everything the Coast needs a club to keep all community clubs together.

NRL on the Goldie is solidly the Titans, and any change will be further destabilising. Like it or not, we’re now in our 18th Season and aren’t failing on every metric, so I think we have every right to continue building exactly as we are.

I think there is probably a time and a place to expand in the Dolphins fashion with existing IP, but I don’t think that means every new team should come from this approach. Would have Canberra been as successful if one of their existing clubs came up? I doubt it. Same story on the Coast.
One thing the Titans should do is make yellow/gold the main colour on their jersey.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

Why are Burleigh disliked by the rest of GCRL?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Why are Burleigh disliked by the rest of GCRL?
They are like the Wyong of the Central Coast, the Western Suburbs of the Newcastle competition, the Roosters/Manly of the NRL.
I’m friends with Ray Arrow (Jai’s dad from the Rabbitohs) and he was heavily involved with the Burleigh Bears for many years especially during Jai’s junior years.
He put it down to tall poppy syndrome, one of my sons former teammates played in the Hostplus QLD Cup for the Tweed Seagulls the last two years but made the move over to the Burleigh Bears this year, the rivalry between the two clubs borders on hatred.