What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
the mistake the nswrl/arl made when it expanded was forming brand new teams rather than take the best team from that area

eg Newcastle wests vs knights, qrl clubs vs broncos

pvl has learned from this mistake. Rather then create a new Brisbane club he looked at the two strong qrl clubs that had leagues clubs

it lessens the risk of failure

it’s what he will do with Perth and maybe even chch if possible

the mistake the nswrl/arl made when it expanded was forming brand new teams rather than take the best team from that area

pvl has learned from this mistake. Rather then create a new Brisbane club he looked at the two strong qrl clubs that had leagues clubs

The problem with Perth is gaming machines are illegal in Western Australia. That's why Perth Rat is vehemently against pokies but okay with prostitution and loan sharks. I don't know what the situation is like in New Zealand. @flippikat once explained it, but I've forgotten as my memory ain't the best these days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From that article this Intertesting point.
sounds like the nrl are sitting Back and seeing what the perth consortium do before showing their hand.
Either they dont want to be seen forcing a Sydney club on perth, or they really dont mind if it’s bears or not.

Cumins: “We’re led to believe at the moment it won’t be a condition (to secure an NRL licence), but that’s not set in stone,” he said.
“If it was a condition, well we are desperate to have a team in Perth and we would make the Perth Bears a success. “If it’s not a condition, we would have to consider what the Bears or the Jets would bring to an NRL franchise in Perth.
“It’s got to be more than just a logo and a name that has no relevance in Perth.
“I will meet with both clubs at the end of June and hopefully they put a compelling case forward to satisfy everybody.”

Groth

Juniors

Yeah no thanks, taking the most hated club in newcastle and putting it in nrl would have been terrible. Creating a new team was the perfect idea, makes it so the whole city can get behind it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's obvious V'landys and the rest of the ARLC don't want a standalone Perth team.
You are conflating a preference with a demand.

If they will accept a stand alone perth team is the key thing, unless he tells cumins he HAS to partner with the Bears then it’s going to take something big to come from the Bears to get Perth to accept them.

You are conflating a preference with a demand.

If they will accept a stand alone perth team is the key thing, unless he tells cumins he HAS to partner with the Bears then it’s going to take something big to come from the Bears to get Perth to accept them.
I'm not going to get into a debate about the semantics of V'landys' comments.

If you wish to believe he is willing to accept a standalone Perth team then good for you. I'll believe he's willing to accept one when he announces it at a press conference.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not going to get into a debate about the semantics of V'landys' comments.

If you wish to believe he is willing to accept a standalone Perth team then good for you. I'll believe he's willing to accept one when he announces it at a press conference.
The only thing he has been directly quoted as saying is “perth is not conditional on a bears partnership”. If you can show me any other actual quote from him then please do so.

The only thing he has been directly quoted as saying is “perth is not conditional on a bears partnership”. If you can show me any other actual quote from him then please do so.
I'm not going to get into another one of these boring and useless arguments over what was said and what it might have meant. We know his opinion on "rusted on AFL states". We know he wants Perth to link up with the Bears. We'll have to wait and see what happens from here.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not going to get into another one of these boring and useless arguments over what was said and what it might have meant. We know his opinion on "rusted on AFL states". We know he wants Perth to link up with the Bears. We'll have to wait and see what happens from here.
Haha so that’s a no then. yes he clearly prefers a perth-bears partnership but he is also quoted as saying it isn’t essential to Perth getting a team. It’s now up to the bears to convince the Perth consortium they are their best option for a successful club. It won’t be an easy sell.

flippikat

Bench
The problem with Perth is gaming machines are illegal in Western Australia. That's why Perth Rat is vehemently against pokies but okay with prostitution and loan sharks. I don't know what the situation is like in New Zealand. @flippikat once explained it, but I've forgotten as my memory ain't the best these days.
It depends on each local council, but a "shrinking lid" policy on gaming machines has been pretty popular - no new machines & no replacement of machines if some are taken out (eg a venue closes). That's what Auckland Council operates on.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah no thanks, taking the most hated club in newcastle and putting it in nrl would have been terrible. Creating a new team was the perfect idea, makes it so the whole city can get behind it.
Who owns the knights now ?

would’ve saved 30 years of poor finances

Centy Coast

Juniors
It’s Perth Red, just say nothing and move on, he wants a NRL team in Perth BUT.
You can only explain things a certain amount of times, sometimes people just don’t want to accept the best way forward.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Yet the "BUT" is crucial to the success of the club. Some of the non-negotiables sprouted about amongst North Sydney is akin to tossing Perth a pigs heart

Groth

Juniors
Who owns the knights now ?

would’ve saved 30 years of poor finances
Easy to say that now that they are the powerhouse they are today. Back in 88 they only ran one leagues club so who's to say they don't struggle like the rest