What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
No one outside of Sydney gives a f**k about the Bears. Sad but true.

Newtown never played in the NRL.

First line: I’m outside of Sydney and I care about both the Bears and Jets. Watch your language when addressing me child.

Second line: don’t be one of those small cock wonders. The term “NRL” can colloquially refer to the entire history of the premiership dating back to 1908.

First line: I’m outside of Sydney and I care about both the Bears and Jets. Watch your language when addressing me child.

Second line: don’t be one of those small cock wonders. The term “NRL” can colloquially refer to the entire history of the premiership dating back to 1908.

No one outside of Sydney cares about the Bears and Jets. Accept it and move on.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with the Bears coming back as a Central Coast team after the other expansion areas have been accommodated.

Central Coast Bears can work.

Perth Bears won't work.

North Sydney is still insistent on playing games at an oval that was deemed unfit for NRL games 35 years ago. Western Australians are parochial and have already told you they don't want a Sydney team.

The ARLC isn't going to stop the Ipswich Jets from entering the competition because a club called Newtown Jets played in the NSWRFL 40 years ago.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
No one outside of Sydney cares about the Bears and Jets. Accept it and move on.

FWIW, I don't have a problem with the Bears coming back as a Central Coast team after the other expansion areas have been accommodated.

Central Coast Bears can work.

Perth Bears won't work.

North Sydney is still insistent on playing games at an oval that was deemed unfit for NRL games 35 years ago. Western Australians are parochial and have already told you they don't want a Sydney team.

The ARLC isn't going to stop the Ipswich Jets from entering the competition because a club called Newtown Jets played in the NSWRFL 40 years ago.
Hello dipshit. I am outside of Sydney. Proof right in front of you.

The ARLC won’t allow a team to enter the competition with a branding that’s previously been used unless that brand is involved in the new team. I.e. Perth Jets.

Hello dipshit. I am outside of Sydney. Proof right in front of you.

Go ask people from Perth how much they care about the Bears.

I've lived in the greater Brisbane area all of my life. I don't know anyone who cares about the Bears.

Queenslanders tend to not care about NSWRL clubs. TV ratings in Brisbane for NSWRL clubs are poor.

Anyone under the age of 30 won't have seen the Bears play.

The ARLC won’t allow a team to enter the competition with a branding that’s previously been used unless that brand is involved in the new team. I.e. Perth Jets.

Provide a written statement from the ARLC confirming your opinion or STFU!

Newtown never played during the NRL era. No one under the age of 42 was alive when the club played in the NSWRFL.

Last edited:

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Go ask people from Perth how much they care about the Bears.

I've lived in the greater Brisbane area all of my life. I don't know anyone who cares about the Bears.

Queenslanders tend to not care for NSWRL clubs. TV ratings in Brisbane for NSWRL clubs are poor.

Anyone under the age of 30 won't have seen rhe Bears play.

Provide a written statement from the ARLC confirming your opinion or STFU!

Newtown never played during the NRL era. No one under the age of 42 was alive when the club played in the NSWRFL.

You didn’t say “no one in Perth” cares about the Bears. You said “no one outside of Sydney” cares about the Bears.

I straight up proved you wrong.

Not only have you never left Brisbane is sounds like you don’t leave your bedroom. You were also trying to claim no one in South Brisbane has ever worn a Dolphins jersey. Shaking my head.

I could ask you to provide a written statement from the ARLC confirming your opinion or STFU as well. You really do throw out all the toys in your cot when someone has a different opinion than yours don’t you. Learn some maturity

As I said before genius, the term “NRL” is colloquially used to refer to the entirety of premiership history dating back to 1908.

You might not like it, but in the history of the game we didn’t decide to stop playing our state competitions and start a new national competition from scratch. The National competition grew from
the continuation of the NSW competition. While the competition shouldn’t be solely NSW focussed now, that doesn’t change the history. Throwing around facts about people’s ages means nothing.

Iamback

Coach
I

I figure sometime in the near future the NRL men’s and women’s competitions will run in tandem. Basically double headers. Women’s match first followed by men’s or vice versa.

In theory sounds good.

In practice though how does the NRLW make
money without prime time stand alone timeslots?

So I think at some stage it follows the WBBL and AFLW and has its season running differently.

Sunshine Coast is getting done up that is something but doesn't help the issue.

We saw it earlier this year Pink concert had the venue. Kayo was the next sized RL venue at 12k.

So these things will happen when Bris 3 comes in

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I don’t see the NRL allowing a new club to enter the competition with a former club’s branding. Ipswich/Western Corrdior will need a new moniker.
Because the Jets aren't in the NRL and never have been. They are a NSWRL brand from a time before it expanded nationally.

Besides, NRL had no problems with their bid name in 2022

shewi6

Juniors
If the Western Corridor team doesn't play our West, then it isn't really a Western team.

Imagine the engagement from locals at Penrith if the Panthers' home games were at Allianz.

Agree on Ipswich stadium capacity, needs to be 25k IMO
Yeah it's the stupidity I have been trying to point out of a Brisbane team encompassing this supposed 'western corridor'.
In the article I posted the western corridor now goes all the way up to charleville and everything west of brisbane it seems.

No one can put a real definition of what it is, I remember it probably started out as a western brisbane area but it grows and grows all the time and is now approaching the NT border.

The point is a 'western corridor' team on its own has neither the concentrated population, resources or even a stadium capable of hosting an nrl team.

We are talking about small country towns spread far apart with the biggest 'city' being Toowoomba (100k) over 130km from brisbane. So I don't see how a third brisbane club can claim to represent it.

Take your point about penrith and multiply it by a factor of 10 and you get close to what we have with the western corridor.

You didn’t say “no one in Perth” cares about the Bears. You said “no one outside of Sydney” cares about the Bears.

I straight up proved you wrong.

You're one person and represent a very small minority.

How many people outside of Sydney care for the Bears?

Virtually no one. There would be a few people pining over the Reds, Crushers, Chargers and Rams. Doesn't mean they should be brought back.

Not only have you never left Brisbane is sounds like you don’t leave your bedroom. You were also trying to claim no one in South Brisbane has ever worn a Dolphins jersey. Shaking my head.

I never said that dumbarse. I said I've never seen anyone wearing Dolphins merchandise in Logan.

I could ask you to provide a written statement from the ARLC confirming your opinion or STFU as well. You really do throw out all the toys in your cot when someone has a different opinion than yours don’t you. Learn some maturity

This from the bloke who uses ad hominems and strawmen?

As I said before genius, the term “NRL” is colloquially used to refer to the entirety of premiership history dating back to 1908.
Doesn't change the fact Newtown have never played in the NRL era.

Glebe being known as the "Dirty Reds" didn't stop the ARL from introducing a team from Perth called the "Reds".

Nor will it stop Ipswich from using the name "Jets".

Why do you think there was no objection from the NRL when the Ipswich Jets bid for a licence under the proposed names of "Western Jets" and "Brisbane Jets" after merging with the Brisbane Bombers bid?

If there was any truth to the bullshit you're trying to spin then they would have created a new brand like the Brisbane Tigers did with "Firehawks".

You might not like it, but in the history of the game we didn’t decide to stop playing our state competitions and start a new national competition from scratch. The National competition grew from
the continuation of the NSW competition. While the competition shouldn’t be solely NSW focussed now, that doesn’t change the history. Throwing around facts about people’s ages means nothing.

The Western Jets and Brisbane Jets bid from a few years ago is part of the NRL's history. There was no objection to them using the "Jets" brand.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah it's the stupidity I have been trying to point out of a Brisbane team encompassing this supposed 'western corridor'.
In the article I posted the western corridor now goes all the way up to charleville and everything west of brisbane it seems.

No one can put a real definition of what it is, I remember it probably started out as a western brisbane area but it grows and grows all the time and is now approaching the NT border.

The point is a 'western corridor' team on its own has neither the concentrated population, resources or even a stadium capable of hosting an nrl team.

We are talking about small country towns spread far apart with the biggest 'city' being Toowoomba (100k) over 130km from brisbane. So I don't see how a third brisbane club can claim to represent it.

Take your point about penrith and multiply it by a factor of 10 and you get close to what we have with the western corridor.
I never understood what the "western corridor" was. It's supposed to encompass Logan and Ipswich but they are like 35km away from one another. Logan is closer to Redlands than Ipswich and Redlands is on the coast.

shewi6

Juniors
I never understood what the "western corridor" was. It's supposed to encompass Logan and Ipswich but they are like 35km away from one another. Logan is closer to Redlands than Ipswich and Redlands is on the coast.
Yeh for sure. Originally I believe it was western brisbane/ipswich area.
It was singled out like that because people believe that all the RL fans in the area are vulnerable to be converted to afl because there isn't a team in the nrl with their suburb name on it.

Now it just continues to grow ever larger and farther from brisbane and spreading out wider to the 'heartlands' of western qld.

MugaB

Coach
the best way for the NRL to establish themselves in WA would be to have 2 teams instead of a single team. That way, the NRL will have a consistent presence in WA.
Fk me slow down, PerthRed
Let's get one in first, let it breathe like the dolphins, then you can send in another in a decade or so

Milhouse2020

Juniors
Fk me slow down, PerthRed
Let's get one in first, let it breathe like the dolphins, then you can send in another in a decade or so

Well, given that the Bears and Jets have been linked to WA, it makes sense to admit both of them. The main reason why the Western Reds failed was because they didn't have a consistent presence in the WA market.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Fair call about some of the ridiculous comments on who a Western Corridor bid would represent. And you're right, lots of the suggestions are terrible idea.

For me, the team would be based in Ipswich and draw in Western Logan (that's the actual corridor). That population are is very sizeable and are Rugby League diehards.

Sure, they link up with Toowoomba for juniors, which makes sense. But they'd be based in Ipswich for me. The council and state government were open to a stadium when the Jets bid against the Dolphins and Firehawks. 25k capacity would woek and I would make sure that all combinations of Dolphin, Bronco and Jet games against each other are played at Suncorp to maximise attendances.

What's the point if they are already die-hards? Well it's about our game growing with the region, reaching our potential as a gane and ensuring that we stay number 1 into the future here.

Yes, in the beginning as we saw with the Broncos and now Dolphins, they start with a low base, but in 20 years time you'll have a whole generation that have grown up out there with their own NRL team and the rivalry between the teams will be intense.

Latest posts