What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

RedVee

First Grade
The problem with the Jets is that they are now basically a NSW cup side with a tiny and diminishing junior base. Down to 4 teams.
Newtowns area and juniors were redistributed after their sacking from the NSWRL. Some to Souths, a hunk (including my old team) to St George, and perhaps some to Dogs (but can’t remember if that is so).
Hence Newtown junior Paul Osborne becoming a Saints junior, Speechley went through Souths I think. They were a few years younger than me. Still are I guess.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A few things on SEQs 4th team...

1. No, the AFL has no traction in Ipswich. They just have a training ground/ AFLW ground out that way which means as much to the locals as GWS having a base in Western Sydney... i.e. f**k all

2. For a team to represent the West they'll have to play out west. Brisbane is almost already at the point of needing more stadiums and a boutique ground was part of the Brisbane Jets' original bid. A 25k stadium in Ipswich would be perfect and the Jets can then play their three or four big derbies at Suncorp. Ditto Dolphins up north.

3. Not every defunct Sydney brand has to be resurrected. I'm happy for the Bears if they get back in, but leave the Jets brand for an Ipswich based side as it is the moniker that will resonate most with their target audience.

4. Brisbane Olympic year is about right for entry. 9 years after the Dolphins, and in time for the new TV rights deal

shewi6

Juniors
2. For a team to represent the West they'll have to play out west. Brisbane is almost already at the point of needing more stadiums and a boutique ground was part of the Brisbane Jets' original bid. A 25k stadium in Ipswich would be perfect and the Jets can then play their three or four big derbies at Suncorp. Ditto Dolphins up north.
I think 3 sides playing full time out of suncorp is manageable and probably perfect utilisation. At most it is 36 games, potentially less home games in a 20 team competition.

Dolphins could take 2 games to the sunny coast when that is redeveloped and it would be best if they kept the temporary seats for a 20k capacity.

Bris 3 should only take a couple games to ipswich if it gets to 20k capacity as well, at 12k it is another kayo stadium and not what a brisbane club should aspire to. Ideally games there would be relocated sydney club home games.

As for super rugby and a league, there is a non zero chance of those comps collapsing in the near future and have taken games away from suncorp in recent times so the congestion during footy season shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure how many games get played for the afl in melbourne but it is 9.5 teams to share 2 stadiums, so close to 50 each I'm guessing. Suncorp should handle 30 odd.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think 3 sides playing full time out of suncorp is manageable and probably perfect utilisation. At most it is 36 games, potentially less home games in a 20 team competition.

Dolphins could take 2 games to the sunny coast when that is redeveloped and it would be best if they kept the temporary seats for a 20k capacity.

Bris 3 should only take a couple games to ipswich if it gets to 20k capacity as well, at 12k it is another kayo stadium and not what a brisbane club should aspire to. Ideally games there would be relocated sydney club home games.

As for super rugby and a league, there is a non zero chance of those comps collapsing in the near future and have taken games away from suncorp in recent times so the congestion during footy season shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure how many games get played for the afl in melbourne but it is 9.5 teams to share 2 stadiums, so close to 50 each I'm guessing. Suncorp should handle 30 odd.
If the Western Corridor team doesn't play our West, then it isn't really a Western team.

Imagine the engagement from locals at Penrith if the Panthers' home games were at Allianz.

Agree on Ipswich stadium capacity, needs to be 25k IMO

Matt_CBY

Juniors
A few things on SEQs 4th team...

1. No, the AFL has no traction in Ipswich. They just have a training ground/ AFLW ground out that way which means as much to the locals as GWS having a base in Western Sydney... i.e. f**k all

3. Not every defunct Sydney brand has to be resurrected. I'm happy for the Bears if they get back in, but leave the Jets brand for an Ipswich based side as it is the moniker that will resonate most with their target audience.

4. Brisbane Olympic year is about right for entry. 9 years after the Dolphins, and in time for the new TV rights deal

I don’t see the NRL allowing a new club to enter the competition with a former club’s branding. Ipswich/Western Corrdior will need a new moniker.

Latest posts