What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

shewi6

Juniors
Wow that was actually pretty good discussion which brought up valid points and criticisms.
Not something I have seen from a ch9 magazine show in a long time, admittedly I haven't actively watched them for so long because the quality was so low.

Imagine if joey and freddy were on that panel...

mongoose

Coach
I just watched the segment on 100% footy. Chammas is pretty certain team 18 will be Perth, still can't determine if its Bears, Jets or a new entity. Gallen and Gus were pretty strongly against PNG coming in for team 18.

PNG looking very unlikely at this stage... there is just not the media support for it.

jim_57

Staff member
I never understood what the "western corridor" was. It's supposed to encompass Logan and Ipswich but they are like 35km away from one another. Logan is closer to Redlands than Ipswich and Redlands is on the coast.

Western Corridor is just Ipswich without wanting to call it Ipswich, which I can understand.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Well, given that the Bears and Jets have been linked to WA, it makes sense to admit both of them. The main reason why the Western Reds failed was because they didn't have a consistent presence in the WA market.
No the Reds folded for a couple reasons and none of them were that they had no local rival.
.Perth at the time lacked a rectangle stadium, the WACA was an awful place for the spectator
.The ARL burdened the Reds at the 11th hour with a crippling financial burden of paying for flights and accommodation for away teams AND their reserves, which threw out the financial model when it was too late to back out. This forced the Reds into the arms of News Ltd
.Superleague War created uncertainty across the fan base and the playing list
.In the fallout of the war, News Ltd was not prepared to subsidize The Reds in the same manner as The Storm, for them to find their feet again. Also The Reds didn't have a legal position to fight for their remained inclusion.

shewi6

Juniors
Western Corridor is just Ipswich without wanting to call it Ipswich, which I can understand.
Which imo weakens the position of a team that wants to be of the western corridor.
By combining all these areas under a broad geographical name you try to be a team for everyone but identifying with no one.

I think a west brisbane side is good for team number 3, base it there and engage with the rural communities but it needs a strong connection with brisbane proper in the team name.
End of the day the point is to get a third brisbane team because that is where the support and population is, anything else is just an added extra.

Bukowski

Juniors
I just watched the segment on 100% footy. Chammas is pretty certain team 18 will be Perth, still can't determine if its Bears, Jets or a new entity. Gallen and Gus were pretty strongly against PNG coming in for team 18.

PNG looking very unlikely at this stage... there is just not the media support for it.
I'm heartened to hear Gus saying he thinks Perth should be stand alone. Burdening Perth with Norths just to add a few hundred to an away crowd in Sydney is insane.

Haffa

Which imo weakens the position of a team that wants to be of the western corridor.
By combining all these areas under a broad geographical name you try to be a team for everyone but identifying with no one.

I think a west brisbane side is good for team number 3, base it there and engage with the rural communities but it needs a strong connection with brisbane proper in the team name.
End of the day the point is to get a third brisbane team because that is where the support and population is, anything else is just an added extra.
Wests Brisbane exist and amusingly they are on the other side of the river.

Also they're the scum of the earth...

RedVee

First Grade
The Perth WestJets can come in alongside Bris 3 if it is centred on Ipswich… remember a previous Ipswich consortium merged with the Brissy Bombers group. So that name is up their sleeve I’d expect

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Because the Jets aren't in the NRL and never have been. They are a NSWRL brand from a time before it expanded nationally.

Besides, NRL had no problems with their bid name in 2022
QLDers don’t have to like it but the current national competition grew out of the NSW competition and is a continuation. The NSW competition never ceased to create a national competition with a new history.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
You're one person and represent a very small minority.

How many people outside of Sydney care for the Bears?

Virtually no one. There would be a few people pining over the Reds, Crushers, Chargers and Rams. Doesn't mean they should be brought back.

I never said that dumbarse. I said I've never seen anyone wearing Dolphins merchandise in Logan.

This from the bloke who uses ad hominems and strawmen?

Doesn't change the fact Newtown have never played in the NRL era.

Glebe being known as the "Dirty Reds" didn't stop the ARL from introducing a team from Perth called the "Reds".

Nor will it stop Ipswich from using the name "Jets".

Why do you think there was no objection from the NRL when the Ipswich Jets bid for a licence under the proposed names of "Western Jets" and "Brisbane Jets" after merging with the Brisbane Bombers bid?

If there was any truth to the bullshit you're trying to spin then they would have created a new brand like the Brisbane Tigers did with "Firehawks".

The Western Jets and Brisbane Jets bid from a few years ago is part of the NRL's history. There was no objection to them using the "Jets" brand.
It doesn’t matter how small the minority is. My point is it’s not “no one” as you stated. Choose your words more carefully next time you soft cock.

ad hominems? Really? One poster uses the term and the rest of the soft cocks have a new favourite term. Often incorrectly.

You can talk about “NRL era” as much as you want. You are purposely taking the point the wrong way.

Glebe were never officially branded the Dirty Reds. Just like how the Bulldogs were never officially the Berries nor wore the Bears ever officially the Shoreman. These clubs officially names at the time were North Sydney District Rugby League Football Club, Glebe District Rugby League Football Club & Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Rugby League Club. Officially branding of nicknames come around much later after Glebe had left the competition.

Also Dirty Reds & Reds aren’t identical.

The objection of the NRL for the Brisbane Jets and Western Jets bid came when the bid team was completely rejected for the licence. The ARLC can’t control what independent groups who call themselves bid teams call themselves. They do control and own the rights to the actual NRL licenced clubs.

oh my god you talk bullshit. The Western Jets and Brisbane Jets are not part of NRL history at all. They never came close to being admitted into the competition.

Get out of your bedroom and get some fresh air.

It doesn’t matter how small the minority is. My point is it’s not “no one” as you stated. Choose your words more carefully next time you soft cock.

ad hominems? Really? One poster uses the term and the rest of the soft cocks have a new favourite term. Often incorrectly.

You can talk about “NRL era” as much as you want. You are purposely taking the point the wrong way.

Glebe were never officially branded the Dirty Reds. Just like how the Bulldogs were never officially the Berries nor wore the Bears ever officially the Shoreman. These clubs officially names at the time were North Sydney District Rugby League Football Club, Glebe District Rugby League Football Club & Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Rugby League Club. Officially branding of nicknames come around much later after Glebe had left the competition.

Also Dirty Reds & Reds aren’t identical.

The objection of the NRL for the Brisbane Jets and Western Jets bid came when the bid team was completely rejected for the licence. The ARLC can’t control what independent groups who call themselves bid teams call themselves. They do control and own the rights to the actual NRL licenced clubs.

oh my god you talk bullshit. The Western Jets and Brisbane Jets are not part of NRL history at all. They never came close to being admitted into the competition.

Get out of your bedroom and get some fresh air.

You're reinventing history again.

Jets were rejected because their bid was the weakest of the three. At no stage did the ARLC say it was rejected because there was a NSWRFL team called the Newtown Jets over four decades ago. You're just speculating and presenting your opinion as a fact.