What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
“WA officials have also held talks with North Sydney Bears, the preferred partner for the NRL and their broadcast partners given their return would ignite a supporter base that has laid dormant since they were kicked out of the competition.”

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Netwown never played in the "NRL".

The NRL is an amalgamation between the ARL and Super League.

The NSWRL (having dropped the word Football from their name in the 1980s) ran the competition until the end of the 1994 season, when the sport's national governing body, the Australian Rugby League (ARL), took over. However a rival competition was being planned and the only season of the News Limited-owned Super League competition (SL) was held in 1997. The two competitions were reunited as the National Rugby League (NRL) in time for the start of the 1998 season. The NRL was established as a company owned in partnership between the ARL and News Limited.​

Newtown never played in the ARL or Super League. The ARL was separate to the NSWRL.

I am not arguing that. I was never arguing that. You have been purposely mistaking what I’ve stated continuously.

Thanks for the link proving the continuation of the NSWRL competition that grew into a the National competition which I have been repeatedly stating.

“WA officials have also held talks with North Sydney Bears, the preferred partner for the NRL and their broadcast partners given their return would ignite a supporter base that has laid dormant since they were kicked out of the competition.”
Please tell me you don't believe every bullshit clickbait headline and unsourced claim that's pushed out by the Sydney print media?

It's biased bullshit aimed at selling papers to boomers from Sydney.

How many of their predictions have come true?

At one stage they talked up the Central Coast Bears as the 16th team. Never happened.

Then it was the Gold Coast Bears after the Titans got themselves in financial trouble. Titans and Burleigh told North Sydney to get f**ked.

Then it was the Perth Bears with an old drunken beetroot from Sutherland talking it up. Nothing came out of it.

Then it was the PNG/Pasifika Bears. PNG told the Bears to get f**ked.

Then it was back to the Perth Bears. Peter Cumins told the Bears to get f**ked.

Now it's the Perth Jets, funded by some old dickhead who'll probably be dead by the time the 18th team enters the NRL.

We were told PNG were a certainty to get the 18th licence. Now we're told Perth are a certainty for the 18th licence.

It's all bullshit dressed up as "facts" by a dying media platform desperate to sell papers.

News Ltd are always pushing an agenda of some sort to sell papers. It's what they do best.

Look at all of the horrible crap News Ltd say about Palestine to rile up their old racist viewers on Sky News?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Please tell me you don't believe every bullshit clickbait headline and unsourced claim that's pushed out by the Sydney print media?

At one stage they talked up the Central Coast Bears as the 16th team. Never happened.

Then it was the Gold Coast Bears after the Titans got themselves in financial trouble. Titans and Burleigh told North Sydney to get f**ked.

Then it was the Perth Bears with an old drunken beetroot from Sutherland talking it up. Nothing came out of it.

Now it's the Perth Jets, funded by some old dickhead who'll probably be dead by the time the 18th team enters the NRL.

We were told PNG were a certainty to get the 18th licence. Now we're told Perth are a certainty for the 18th licence.

It's all bullshit dressed up as "facts" by a dying media platform desperate to sell papers.

News Ltd are always pushing an agenda of some sort to sell papers. It's what they do best.

Look at all of the horrible crap News Ltd say about Palestine to rile up their old racist viewers on Sky News?
Give it up.

Same garbage in repeat over and over coming from you.

Why does other people’s opinions upset you so much?

The Great Dane

First Grade
this is the biggest move for the game since the 95 expansion
Yeah cause the short sighted populism of the early 90s worked out great for Arko and Quayle... Can't deny that it feels like history repeating itself in a lot of ways though.

The same sort of attitude of just bull rushing ahead without addressing underlying issues and the negative outcomes of their decisions, and being totally shackled to the whims of the establishment old boys club at the expense of what is best for the whole, is symbolic of both the Arko&Quayle and PVL administrations for sure.

Wb1234

Referee

Do I believe that quote ? Yes I do that’s why I posted it

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah cause the short sighted populism of the early 90s worked out great for Arko and Quayle... Can't deny that it feels like history repeating itself in a lot of ways though.

The same sort of attitude of just bull rushing ahead without addressing underlying issues and the negative outcomes of their decisions, and being totally shackled to the whims of the establishment old boys club at the expense of what is best for the whole, is symbolic of both the Arko&Quayle and PVL administrations for sure.
Up the phins

The Great Dane

First Grade
Your no old Bear you old goose, you’ve bagged the Bears no matter what, move on with your Raiders, we don’t need you or want you.
Stop referring to yourself as an old Bear because I’ve never heard an old supporter bag their former team out so much.
You’ve moved on with the Raiders, on your bike, go and raid Parras juniors to remain relevant.
The flop always refers to himself as a former Bears supporter but he has never ever said one positive about them, I can see him supporting rugby yawnion.
All these people with current NRL teams on the expansion forum, aren’t you happy with your current teams or just to much time in the nursing home ?.
Don’t worry the Perth Bears will only take back from you what was theirs in the first place.
I criticise all those that deserve it irrelevant of their partisan connections, and few have ever deserved criticism for their actions more than the Bears over the past couple decades and the scum "fans" like you who appoint yourselves representatives of the average Bears fan despite having bailed on the club when it needed you the most.

It isn't my fault that people like you two turned the Bears into little more than parasites. Maybe you should try not behaving like parasites if you don't like people pointing it out.

The club can't even crack 2.5k members and an average attendance worth recording, yet knobs like you have the gall to claim the Bears are some invaluable asset with a straight face. If demand for the Bears is so great it should be easy to prove it by pushing product (i.e. selling tickets and memberships... Crazy concept I know).

The Bears might be back in the comp now had the Bears pushed hard for fan support in protest to being punted in 02... Imagine if the Bears were averaging 10k (give or take) in the NSW Cup before the NRL considered expansion in 04/05, everything might be different these days.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Sorry to hear about the Rebels. Is that why you are in a bad mood?

Same garbage in repeat over and over coming from you.

That sums up every expansion article about the Bears over the last 20 years. At least one or two a year are published by the Sydney papers. All of them have turned out to be bullshit and were aimed at gullible sad f**ks like you.

Why does other people’s opinions upset you so much?

You're on here responding to every post that is critical of the Bears. It's obvious you cannot stand anyone who does not share your biased opinion about the Bears.

Do I believe that quote ? Yes I do that’s why I posted it

This quote?

“WA officials have also held talks with North Sydney Bears, the preferred partner for the NRL and their broadcast partners given their return would ignite a supporter base that has laid dormant since they were kicked out of the competition.”​

You believe that statement?

The Bears never had many supporters when they competed in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL.

It's been 25 years since they last competed in the NRL. Many of the people who actively supported the Bears in 1999 season are now dead. If they're not dead then they're not here for much longer. None of the club's active supporters who were alive and old enough to see North Sydney play in the NRL are under 35.

Bringing back the Bears and saddling them up with a Perth-based team -- in the hope of appeasing a few hundred old people in Sydney -- is arguably the dumbest thing the ARLC can do. God knows how many of the few hundred supporters still alive will reject a Bears team that represents a city on the other side of the country.

V'landys has done many great things. He's also done and said some dumb things. If he is successful at saddling the Bears with Perth and introduces a team in Port Moresby then he will f**k up two licences and set expansion back decades.

Up the phins
I love the Dolphins, but Dane isn't altogether wrong. The club should be playing all 12 home games at Lang Park to maximise revenue from game day and appeal to as many people from the greater Brisbane area. They're shutting fans out of games by playing matches at Dolphin Oval.

It wouldn't hurt to add "Dolphins" to their logo, either. It's a very minor issue, but it's something that will make them more identifiable.

They need to learn the importance of contrast. The beige in their kit can only work as an accent colour. Placing it next to white and red while using it as a main colour provides poor contrast. If you were to swap the beige will dark grey or black, with a couple of beige stripes, then it would look much better.