What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Vlad59

Bench
The game is going well in spite of the ARLC's incompetence and bias towards NSW. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences for the game in the future.

If the ARLC is dumb enough to force the Bears on Perth then it will harm RL's growth in Western Australia. It's obvious that Western Australians don't want to prop up a failed club from another state that is arrogant enough to think it should be playing games at a dilapidated 10k cricket oval in North Sydney.

The PNG proposal will have negative ramifications on the gsme if it goes through. No one will want to play for a team based in Port Moresby. The team will be a basket case and get flogged every round. Lopsided games that no one wants to watch will generate zero advertising dollars. To be frank, it's f**ken embarrassing that we've got so many simpletons on here, the Sydney media ans ARLC championing this braindead idea. It's Big Footy level of dumb.
Potato

Go on then

Compare how pvl as boss of the arl has been worse than anyone else

my points valid, the qrl were against the admission of the dolphins into the nrl

so the arl have done more got growing the game in qld than the qrl who only want to protect their patch.
QRL was looking out for itself.

V'landys did get the Dolphins in the NRL.

It doesn't change the fact V'landys was owned by News Ltd and Ch9 at the negotiating table for the broadcast rights.

Nor does it change the fact the QRL and NSWRL have taken V'landys to court.

Nor does it change the fact that Port Moresby isn't a viable location for an NRL team.

Nor does it change the fact that Western Australians don't want to financially prop up a failed NSWRL club that's been dead for 25 years.

You can either use your brain and open your eyes to what's going on or blindly defend everything V'landys does because he's flying the flag for nostalgic NSWRL fans who are bordering senility.

Wb1234

Referee
QRL was looking out for itself.

V'landys did get the Dolphins in the NRL.

It doesn't change the fact V'landys was owned by News Ltd and Ch9 at the negotiating table for the broadcast rights.

Nor does it change the fact the QRL and NSWRL have taken V'landys to court.

Nor does it change the fact that Port Moresby isn't a viable location for an NRL team.

Nor does it change the fact that Western Australians don't want to financially prop up a failed NSWRL club that's been dead for 25 years.

You can either use your brain and open your eyes to what's going on or blindly defend everything V'landys does because he's flying the flag for nostalgic NSWRL fans who are bordering senility.
Qrl was selfish

and yet further down you say qrl taking arl to court is evidence of arl doing the wrong thing

lol

you’ve been saying for years Perth standalone won’t work

did you forget ?

and rugby league is booming now bc of pvl

talk is cheap

actions speak louder than words

Milhouse2020

Juniors
Why not give everyone who want to field a team a place in the NRL? More teams in the NRL means more games and more enjoyment for the fans.

Qrl was selfish

So?

Would a small Sydney NRL club like the Sharks, Sea Eagles or Tigers give up its licence so an unrepresented or underserviced market can have it?

We both know the answer to that question.

Yet your expect the QRL to just f**k off and die when small irrelevant clubs from Sydney refuse to do so?

and yet further down you say qrl taking arl to court is evidence of arl doing the wrong thing

lol

The NSWRL is also taking V'landys to court.

you’ve been saying for years Perth standalone won’t work

did you forget ?

I've been pleasantly surprised by the support provided by the WA Gov. If they live up to their word and rebuild PRS with a high performance training centre then there's no reason it cannot work like the Titans.

It won't be a big club by any means, but it'll be better than anything PNG can put together.

and rugby league is booming now bc of pvl

He's made some good decisions. Doesn't change the fact he walked into the role at the right time. If he became Chairman in 2013 then he wouldn't have had the finances to usher through an expansion team.

talk is cheap

All of the bluster about PNG being guaranteed to enter the NRL as the 18th team in 2026 proves it is very cheap.

actions speak louder than words

Which is why I'll believe we're getting a PNG team when they run onto the field.

Wb1234

Referee
Why not give everyone who want to field a team a place in the NRL? More teams in the NRL means more games and more enjoyment for the fans.
They are giving everyone who reasonably carry a team one
So?

Would a small Sydney NRL club like the Sharks, Sea Eagles or Tigers give up its licence so an unrepresented or underserviced market can have it?

We both know the answer to that question.

Yet your expect the QRL to just f**k off and die when small irrelevant clubs from Sydney refuse to do so?

The NSWRL is also taking V'landys to court.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the support provided by the WA Gov. If they live up to their word and rebuild PRS with a high performance training centre then there's no reason it cannot work like the Titans.

It won't be a big club by any means, but it'll be better than anything PNG can put together.

He's made some good decisions. Doesn't change the fact he walked into the role at the right time. If he became Chairman in 2013 then he wouldn't have had the finances to usher through an expansion team.

All of the bluster about PNG being guaranteed to enter the NRL as the 18th team in 2026 proves it is very cheap.

Which is why I'll believe we're getting a PNG team when they run onto the field.
20 nrl teams will see rugby league the dominant sport in Australia and nz

if he took over in 2013 he would’ve done the same thing as now and added teams

the real question is why did previous not add Brisbane 2 sooner when they were allowed too (2015 being the date)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m not sure it wasn’t the club themselves who didn’t want to use Redcliffe

they get home games there

If they use Redcliffe how do they becomes a north Brisbane team
That's a good point. I don't think the club wanted to distance itself from its own history though. That would be an NRL thing surely

Wb1234

Referee
That's a good point. I don't think the club wanted to distance itself from its own history though. That would be an NRL thing surely
There was an article at the time

I think I remember the nrl did want them to not use the Redcliffe name as you’ve said

nrl wants Brisbane 2 so I think they (arl and club) are fudging it

Most of the sponsors they have got are big sponsors which I doubt they get as redcliff

I think north Brisbane is what they should call themselves or Northern something

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Can you see why I've soured on V'landys and the ARLC?

The rhetoric from V'landys and the Sydney media is offensive and an insult to every rugby league fan outside of NSW. It's also bone headed stupid and setting the game up for failure should they proceeded with the "Perth Bears" and PNG proposal.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've interest in the game over the last 12 months. These days I only half watch most games while I play video games on my phone.

The only people who love what's happening are insecure Sydney fans who have imperialist visions of spreading the culture of 20th century NSWRL to every part of the Pacific.
I like a lot of what's happening at NRLHQ and I don't mind the Perth Bears (I want zero NSO games though).

What I don't love is the Sydney centric attitude that has been there since 1988. If Queensland had legalised pokies in the 50s like they did in NSW you would have seen some clubs in the BRL grow to be much bigger and more powerful by the 80s and we would have had more of a merging of comps to form the national league rather than NSWRL just usurping the local league by putting the Broncos in.

I'd imagine I'd that happened it probably would have been 3 BRL clubs promoted alongside 6 Sydney clubs plus Illawarra, Newcastle and Canberra. Then expansion from there would have gone Gold Coast, North QLD, Auckland, Perth, Melbourne, Christchurch, Adelaide & Wellington.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
There was an article at the time

I think I remember the nrl did want them to not use the Redcliffe name as you’ve said

nrl wants Brisbane 2 so I think they (arl and club) are fudging it

Most of the sponsors they have got are big sponsors which I doubt they get as redcliff

I think north Brisbane is what they should call themselves or Northern something
Honestly, I don't think the name Redcliffe makes any difference. Everyone here know their roots and the sponsors are there because they get exposure as they play in Australia's most viewed sporting league.

Wb1234

Referee
Easts have the money but can't use the Tiger. Jets have the brand that resonates with the West and the juniors but no money, it's a no brainer
Esp after jets and bombers merged

jets have poor finances
Honestly, I don't think the name Redcliffe makes any difference. Everyone here know their roots and the sponsors are there because they get exposure as they play in Australia's most viewed sporting league.
small clubs struggle for big sponsors in the nrl

Centy Coast

Juniors
The game is going well in spite of the ARLC's incompetence and bias towards NSW. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences for the game in the future.

If the ARLC is dumb enough to force the Bears on Perth then it will harm RL's growth in Western Australia. It's obvious that Western Australians don't want to prop up a failed club from another state that is arrogant enough to think it should be playing games at a dilapidated 10k cricket oval in North Sydney.

The PNG proposal will have negative ramifications on the gsme if it goes through. No one will want to play for a team based in Port Moresby. The team will be a basket case and get flogged every round. Lopsided games that no one wants to watch will generate zero advertising dollars. To be frank, it's f**ken embarrassing that we've got so many simpletons on here, the Sydney media ans ARLC championing this braindead idea. It's Big Footy level of dumb.
If it wasn’t the Bears it would’ve been some other team as WA would struggle to go it alone.