What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

But I did answer your question Kaeo Weekes (Canberra Raiders) came through the North Sydney Junior Competition (yes 8 teams, when Kaeo played actually 6 teams). The Bears junior competition virtually all but died off when their NRL team was kicked out in 1999.
Of the Bears current NSW Cup Squad probably none are juniors, I don’t know, you have been saying for years what do local juniors matter and now you are barking a different tune with a NSW Cup team.
How many locals play in your NSW Cup or QLD Cup team ?, oh that’s right you don’t have one.
When Perth do get a NRL team, whether it is the Bears, the Jets or stand alone, let’s just see how many WA locals actually play in it lol.
How many local players were in Newtowns NSW Cup team ?, oh that doesn’t matter to you does it, neither does the possibility of a Perth Jets team playing games at Henson Park, but if they have to play games at North Sydney Oval it is the end of the World.
Man, you are such a hypocrite, all your rubbish talk about Leichhardt Oval etc, and you move the goal posts, absolute no credibility.
If just one current NRL player was a junior in the North Sydney competition, then why are people stating the Perth bid needs the Bears for juniors?

Centy Coast

Juniors
If just one current NRL player was a junior in the North Sydney competition, then why are people stating the Perth bid needs the Bears for juniors?
Kaeo Weekes (Canberra Raiders) played with the Asquith Magpies in the North Sydney junior competition then went through the Manly-Warringah NRL Junior Pathways, Jacob Preston (Bulldogs) born in Wahroonga played in the Manly Warringah junior rugby league competition but came through the Bears NRL Junior Pathways, Kieran Foran was also a junior Bears player with the Asquith Magpies and came through their NRL Junior Pathways.
Jesse Marschke (St George-Illawarra Dragons) and Rueben Porter (Wests Tigers) from last years Bears NSW Cup side signed NRL contracts in 2024.
There are also about six or seven players from the North Sydney juniors in the Bears current NSW Cup side e.g. Kieran Hayman, Luke Hodge and Daniel Ala.
Surely you know a team in AFL territory like WA would need a strong feeder club arrangement with a existing NSW Cup or QLD Cup side for East Coast talent until home grown WA talent comes to fruition as the Melbourne Storm have done successfully.
I believe the junior pathways in WA will develop a lot quicker than VIC because rugby league is already fairly strong there and had an existing base that tethered away due to not having a NRL team in the State.
When the Bears left the NRL at the end of 1999, teams in their junior competitions started folding, talented juniors started leaving for other NRL pathways programs that had a direct connection to an existing NRL club.

Last edited:
Kaeo Weekes (Canberra Raiders) played with the Asquith Magpies in the North Sydney junior competition then went through the Manly-Warringah NRL Junior Pathways, Jacob Preston (Bulldogs) born in Wahroonga played in the Manly Warringah junior rugby league competition but came through the Bears NRL Junior Pathways, Kieran Foran was also a junior Bears player with the Asquith Magpies and came through their NRL Junior Pathways.
Jesse Marschke (St George-Illawarra Dragons) and Rueben Porter (Wests Tigers) from last years Bears NSW Cup side signed NRL contracts in 2024.
There are also about six or seven players from the North Sydney juniors in the Bears current NSW Cup side e.g. Kieran Hayman, Luke Hodge and Daniel Ala.
Surely you know a team in AFL territory like WA would need a strong feeder club arrangement with a existing NSW Cup or QLD Cup side for East Coast talent until home grown WA talent comes to fruition as the Melbourne Storm have done successfully.
I believe the junior pathways in WA will develop a lot quicker than VIC because rugby league is already fairly strong there and had an existing base that tethered away due to not having a NRL team in the State.
When the Bears left the NRL at the end of 1999, teams in their junior competitions started folding, talented juniors started leaving for other NRL pathways programs that had a direct connection to an existing NRL club.
So the Bears aren't the only option?

That gives Perth the upper hand.

There are a plethora of clubs in Queensland that could form a pathway deal with a Perth-based NRL team.

The Sydney media make it sound like Perth need the Bears. They don't.

MugaB

Coach
Yeah that's him. Still can't find a club boss saying they want Perth to go with the bears hey?
Give up mate.
What a straw man argument, why not wait till there is a ballot put out, and see who's actually bidding out of the proposed 10 bidders (NewtownJets excluded, as singo blew it up)

Last edited:

Milhouse2020

Juniors
Watching MugaB make a complete tool of himself arguing against the Perth Bears is always good for a few laughs.

And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Bukowski

Juniors
What a straw man argument, why not wait till there is a ballot put out, and see who's actually bidding out of the proposed 10 bidders (NewtownJets excluded, as singo blew it up)
Well he claimed the clubs wanted Perth Bears and not stand alone Perth. A claim he can't back up. I'm not arguing anything.

MugaB

Coach
Well he claimed the clubs wanted Perth Bears and not stand alone Perth. A claim he can't back up. I'm not arguing anything.
You've pointed that out, but you've asked me the same question too, of which it's a non starter, I'm not one of those ceos of said voting clubs, there's no way other than media report for us to know who's in favour, and there's a current gag order applied, so there cannot be an answer until they draw a vote then publicly announce it

Bukowski

Juniors
You've pointed that out, but you've asked me the same question too, of which it's a non starter, I'm not one of those ceos of said voting clubs, there's no way other than media report for us to know who's in favour, and there's a current gag order applied, so there cannot be an answer until they draw a vote then publicly announce it
That's right. That's why I questioned his claim.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah that's him. Still can't find a club boss saying they want Perth to go with the bears hey?
Give up mate.

It really isn't that difficult to understand.

There were no offical bids put on. So how would they comment on what ifs? The game requirement in Sydney for example has been cut. So hence those same CEO's may see it as a better option now

They now have a criteria and bids but can't comment. So we aren't to know what they think of the finalised bid in front of them

So you still haven't found who Perth standalone is linking up with?

Without that they don't get in. Same for any bid, No reason that 3 teams have to be entered

Iamback

Coach

I never said the Bears were preferred. No one knows, what I said was

'IF there are doubts about a brand new club, Bears fill in a few of blanks'

As you said no one knows even what information the clubs had at the time or any doubts.

There are 2 bids finalised
With a Criteria and we see how they vote

Bukowski

Juniors
It really isn't that difficult to understand.

There were no offical bids put on. So how would they comment on what ifs? The game requirement in Sydney for example has been cut. So hence those same CEO's may see it as a better option now

They now have a criteria and bids but can't comment. So we aren't to know what they think of the finalised bid in front of them

So you still haven't found who Perth standalone is linking up with?

Without that they don't get in. Same for any bid, No reason that 3 teams have to be entered
All that but you claimed the clubs want Perth Bears not Perth stand alone. I'm not makimg any presumptions , your are!!!

Iamback

Coach
All that but you claimed the clubs want Perth Bears not Perth stand alone. I'm not makimg any presumptions , your are!!!

Here is my original message. Maybe get your carer to read this time?

I clearly say IF a new club is seen as too risky.

Again now there is a criteria and 2 bids to choose from we will see. Hell neither Perth Bid might not be good enough

NZ is still a new club though. I am talking IF the risks of a brand new club is seen as too high. That pushes Perth and NZ to further away while they get stuff sorted.

Brisbane Easts are the most complete bid team we have

Latest posts