What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
PNG agreement will be locked in and will be announced shortly

And yep north shore has lots of rich people and bears have jim Jeffries as an investor
Why would North Shore residents be interested in investing in a Central Coast/Perth team?

And Jed Jefferson 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Milhouse2020

Juniors
I have a thought on how best to expand the NRL into WA. I've written about how the NRL should field 2 sides in WA, so I'll elaborate further.

The Bears are granted a license with permission to play part of their season at NSO. The condition of the license will be playing out of Fremantle.

the second team should be a partnership between a consortium and the Joonadlup Giants. the Giants have a history and established brand in WA so unlike the Bears, they've got a fanbase from Day one.

Furthermore, the AFL has shown how popular local derbies can be with the Eagles and the Dockers. Having a derby between the Bears and Giants will only help to increase the profiles of these teams and the NRL.

And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Then how will NZ2 afford it?

I keep hearing that the next three teams are Perth, PNG and NZ2.

Now I'm being told that these bids don't have the money?

When I pointed out that these bids lack the resources to compete in the NRL I was told to stop being "negative".

This forum is full of delusion.

How much money does North Sydney have?

Do they have $30m sitting around or would they news to sell assets?

I look forward to Peter Dutton ripping up NSW Labor's dumb proposal when he's elected as Australia's next PM!

Have you seen the polls?

Not good reading for Labor.

For many pages on expansion threads, there has been so much focus on North Sydney, with the colours, logo, games at NSO, pathways etc

A question you raised is "How much money does North Sydney have"? A more relevant question should be, Can a Perth standalone club be financially viable?

One of the reasons why the NRL gave the green light to the Dolphins is because they have assets and are in a heartland state.

WA isn't a heartland state, so straight away there is a challenge. No doubt a healthy club grant and improved HBF Park would help, but the club still needs more, because they are not in a rugby league state.

So does Perth, West Coast Pirates, or whatever the team is called have the money to prosper on their own in AFL territory?

Wb1234

Referee
For many pages on expansion threads, there has been so much focus on North Sydney, with the colours, logo, games at NSO, pathways etc

A question you raised is "How much money does North Sydney have"? A more relevant question should be, Can a Perth standalone club be financially viable?

One of the reasons why the NRL gave the green light to the Dolphins is because they have assets and are in a heartland state.

WA isn't a heartland state, so straight away there is a challenge. No doubt a healthy club grant and improved HBF Park would help, but the club still needs more, because they are not in a rugby league state.

So does Perth, West Coast Pirates, or whatever the team is called have the money to prosper on their own in AFL territory?
Stand alone eventually they would get there

bears buys them ten years of development plus cash

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

The question concerning North Sydney, which has now morphed on here to the North Shore, is relevant.

Firstly, we're told that the junior talent is in the Central Coast and not in the North Shore/Sydney. Of course where the juniors and the pathways are is moot because you can take juniors from anywhere and juniors can go anywhere.

Why would anyone on the North Shore/Sydney invest in a Perth based team? From the goodness of their heart? Because of the chance to see them 1 game a year at a cricket oval?

We are bringing back a defunct team that had 2 opportunities to have a presence in the NRL and blew it just because a few old fogies and some comedian has nostalgia pangs.

What is actually happening with NRL expansion under V'landys is the NRL wants it because it adds to the broadcast deal but they aren't prepared to invest in it or have patience with it. In this case they're bringing in a Frankenstein's monster that benefits neither Perth or North Sydney/Shore/Central Coast and in the case of PNG they are trusting a government and its handouts and the fantasy that putting league in schools in developing countries is going to produce NRL quality players in a short time frame.

MugaB

Coach
A left field option is for the Brisbane Tigers to team up with the South Island Kea. It's far from the best option, but if it's the only way to get a team in Christchurch then it's better than nothing. The team could play 8 games in Christchurch and 4 at Lang Park. I'd imagine there are plenty of expatriate New Zealanders in Logan willing to support the team.
videotogif_2022.12.24_00.50.09.gif
4 in suncorp! for a Christchurch team, yet we all hear is how bad Perth get shafted into one Sydney game

Wb1234

Referee
lol dope just realised the bears represent t more than just north Sydney and that the north shore isn’t actually another name for the north Sydney cbd

its funny people have been following the nrl for 30 years and still can’t work out which clubs repent which areas

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Why not, not all English SL players get a long NRL career, some try for like a year or two, the better ones end up living here for good, (see Sammy, Hodgson)
Young kids coming to improve themselves as players to make first grade

George burgess was a reserve grader in England. Never played top level. Came here played jn the pathways and became a star

MugaB

Coach
Young kids coming to improve themselves as players to make first grade

George burgess was a reserve grader in England. Never played top level. Came here played jn the pathways and became a star
I mean reality is ceos and player recruiting officers, scout the ESL all the time, bunnies just got some new halback last week, shame richo was over there last month trying to poach some players for tigers, Canberra are always sourcing some too

Wb1234

Referee
I mean reality is ceos and player recruiting officers, scout the ESL all the time, bunnies just got some new halback last week, shame richo was over there last month trying to poach some players for tigers, Canberra are always sourcing some too
Not really

Most times pommies agents approach nrl clubs

And usually only star players

as the article shows English minimum wage in super league is one third ours

Latest posts