What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Will the NRL provide an additional $20m per annum for a PNG club when Dutton rips up NSW Labor's dumbarse deal?

LNP aren't going to bankroll a dumbarse NSW Labor policy that is a vote a killer in Queensland.
Scomo commented the other day that the PNG team is essential for relations with PNG but the Liberals preference was to base them in Cairns. I know he's not involved anymore but he's obviously still connected

It's my understanding that PNG have agreed to sign a security treaty aligning with Australia instead of China if they are given an NRL team. That's what they asked for.

It seems they want to tie education (school attendance) and other social programs to being eligible to play. They think it will be a driver of social change.
You do realise that the PNG Gov is extremely corrupt, right?

They don't give a f**k about their constituents. Don't be surprised if they take the money from the Aus Gov then do a deal with China behind the scenes.

Forgot to mention Newcastle wests owns seven … yes that’s right seven other licensed premises

and funded the clubs centre of excellence from Their own funds rather than bumming off the taxpayer
Cowboys acquired a $20m loan from the NAIF to construct their high performance training centre.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You do realise that the PNG Gov is extremely corrupt, right?

They don't give a f**k about their constituents. Don't be surprised if they take the money from the Aus Gov then do a deal with China behind the scenes.
Yes I do realise, but it doesn't matter if I didn't. I'm just telling you the motivations behind the funding of an NRL team.

Sure they could do us dirty, but if you are tied into an alliance with Australia and its allies (mainly the U.S.) you are going to be facing heavy sanctions / penalties and backlash for doing so. Something PNG probably doesn't want to deal with.

Yes I do realise, but it doesn't matter if I didn't. I'm just telling you the motivations behind the funding of an NRL team.

Sure they could do us dirty, but if you are tied into an alliance with Australia and its allies (mainly the U.S.) you are going to be facing heavy sanctions / penalties and backlash for doing so. Something PNG probably doesn't want to deal with.
PNG Gov is a basket case. They regularly beg the Aus Gov to send cops up there to break up deadly riots, then tell our cops that none of them will be given immunity for any death that occurs under their watch. The result is our cops do nothing because they don't want to be held responsible for the inevitable bloodshed.

There's no way the NRL and Aus Gov will be able to protect the players from a mob attack. About 7 years ago there was a horrible scene during a semi final in the PNGRFL. One of the team's staff started it by attacking match officials. Fans ran onto the field and hurled weapons at players. Players had to physically restrain fans.

Centy Coast

Juniors
f**k me dead we've just come off two in a row and 14 of 19. Hyperbole much...

Put Flegler, Tino, Gilbert, Munster and a proper, fit, in form Walsh and Ponga and the series looks much different. Our production line is better than ever.
Flegler may never play again, Gilbert is injured more than Tommy Turbo and is Munster even half as good as he once was ?

Nutz

Bench
PNG Gov is a basket case. They regularly beg the Aus Gov to send cops up there to break up deadly riots, then tell our cops that none of them will be given immunity for any death that occurs under their watch. The result is our cops do nothing because they don't want to be held responsible for the inevitable bloodshed.

There's no way the NRL and Aus Gov will be able to protect the players from a mob attack. About 7 years ago there was a horrible scene during a semi final in the PNGRFL. One of the team's staff started it by attacking match officials. Fans ran onto the field and hurled weapons at players. Players had to physically restrain fans.

The last time I was flying around PNG in helos there was a fatal stabbing at Port Jackson airfield and they burnt down our motel.
We used to call Red Rooster in Port Moresby the "Stab & Stop" shop.
Riots would start in the streets just because 2 dogs were fighting.
I felt safe though in our barricaded fortress with corrupt ex cops acting as our security who frequented rascal trading grounds at night.

Iamback

Coach
It's my understanding that PNG have agreed to sign a security treaty aligning with Australia instead of China if they are given an NRL team. That's what they asked for.

It seems they want to tie education (school attendance) and other social programs to being eligible to play. They think it will be a driver of social change.

That is it, There is a plan behind it. Whether it works or not is the question but there is lots of planning behind this

siv

First Grade
Cowboys are the fourth most watched club on Foxtel.

Attendances for Newcastle and North Queensland aren't that different. 19,862 vs 19,164.
Dont give that viewers bull

Anyone who has Fox or Kayo watch almost all games

Thats why numbers from lowest to highest vary little, and vary more to do with scheduling timeslots

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Oh yeah, look I can see what the Aus Govt are trying to achieve with this team, but it's the last thing I want in the NRL honestly. Give me Perth, Christchurch and Easts any day.

Latest posts