What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Vlad59

Bench
A change of topic for a moment- it looks like the next 2 teams are going to be PNG & Perth Bears in no certain order, right (forget about what you think it should be)?

Where does everyone thing Team Colours are gonna land? From how it looks to me Teams 17-19 a could all have the same colour palette of Black, Red and Yellow.

Even though there’s a lot of clash in the comp (blue), the Dolphins did try to do something about making their colours a little different with the “sand yellow”- how do the next two getting in create some variation in colours??
What a relief to read this after all the hysteria above.

taste2taste

Juniors
Telegraph reporting PNG players won't pay tax.

For those worried PNG won't be able to attract any star players this is a game changers.

For example Cleary currently earns 700k pa after tax, if playing for PNG he'd earn 1.3m pa. It effectively gives PNG a salary cap of 17m.

Yeah, I think they'll be just fine putting together a competitive team.

Trifili13

Juniors

For those worried PNG won't be able to attract any star players this is a game changers.

For example Cleary currently earns 700k pa after tax, if playing for PNG he'd earn 1.3m pa. It effectively gives PNG a salary cap of 17m.

And it will still be lower than the Roosters salary cap (allegedly)

Iamback

Coach

The resort will be better than most club housing also.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Wow, all these concessions just to keep China at bay.

Imagine if this money was spent on real infrastructure, real development, real education.

But if it makes Albo and the peanut brigade on here feel OK that's all that matters.

Let's see how many officials PNG can fly first class when this team play away from home.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Wow, all these concessions just to keep China at bay.

Imagine if this money was spent on real infrastructure, real development, real education.

But if it makes Albo and the peanut brigade on here feel OK that's all that matters.

Let's see how many officials PNG can fly first class when this team play away from home.

Do you think there could be any benefit at all for the PNG locals having a team in their favourite sporting competition…which from what we see reported in our media is supposedly something close to an obsession?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Do you think there could be any benefit at all for the PNG locals having a team in their favourite sporting competition…which from what we see reported in our media is supposedly something close to an obsession?
Obsession isn't a good thing in my experience.

There are benefits, no doubt. Rugby league is a great game but we are kidding ourselves if we think it's going to have a significant impact on PNG's prosperity trajectory.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A change of topic for a moment- it looks like the next 2 teams are going to be PNG & Perth Bears in no certain order, right (forget about what you think it should be)?

Where does everyone thing Team Colours are gonna land? From how it looks to me Teams 17-19 a could all have the same colour palette of Black, Red and Yellow.

Even though there’s a lot of clash in the comp (blue), the Dolphins did try to do something about making their colours a little different with the “sand yellow”- how do the next two getting in create some variation in colours??
I think they can be similar just with different main colours.eg png mostly yellow with accents of red and black. .
Perth more equal red and black with white and accents of old gold.
dolphins to stick with their home colours.

IMG_1890.jpeg
IMG_1893.jpeg
IMG_1894.jpeg

BuffaloRules

Coach
Obsession isn't a good thing in my experience.

There are benefits, no doubt. Rugby league is a great game but we are kidding ourselves if we think it's going to have a significant impact on PNG's prosperity trajectory.

it is only a game at the end of the day ..so of course that’s unlikely …

it might give them something to appreciate though …must be tough going… living over there compared with our lives

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I have to say much happier with PNG being delayed and Perth moving up (as per media speculation).

I'm not anti PNG but I think a few of our peanuts here think it's going to see a flood of nrl level players and cure all that nation's problems.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have to say much happier with PNG being delayed and Perth moving up (as per media speculation).

I'm not anti PNG but I think a few of our peanuts here think it's going to see a flood of nrl level players and cure all that nation's problems.

I have always said PNG needs more time … their playing stocks just aren’t there …i dont think 4 years will cut it …need 10 years of pumping money and top coaching into the juniors … they will get some expats ( average ones at best) but will need to rely on their locals ..

But I would love to see them have even modest success ..as unlikely and far away as that might be..

Wb1234

Referee
lower
I love PVL‘s maths- ‘Players will be two to three times better off’ (due to no tax).

The average player on $400k - $500k will earn about 60% more. The top tax rate is 45% so no one is two times better off let along three.

Nice little earner though and will definitely help build the roster,
The article clearly stated it was based on a player earning 1 to 1.5 million

Wb1234

Referee
I have always said PNG needs more time … their playing stocks just aren’t there …i dont think 4 years will cut it …need 10 years of pumping money and top coaching into the juniors … they will get some expats ( average ones at best) but will need to rely on their locals ..

But I would love to see them have even modest success ..as unlikely and far away as that might be..
Australian schoolboys just edged a narrow win against png schoolboys

BuffaloRules

Coach
Australian schoolboys just edged a narrow win against png schoolboys

That’s something I guess …. what worries me though is that the numbers of PNG players in the NRL players has been low … a handful at best who have been born and raised over there .,. the problem is with coaching and sports science of course … these changes won’t be an overnight fix …

i Want to see how this development money is going to be spent …it needs to be scrutinised of course … I would also like to see the 17 clubs taking on say three 17-18 yr olds for say 2 yr stints over in Aust to further develop them…

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s something I guess …. what worries me though is that the numbers of PNG players in the NRL players has been low … a handful at best who have been born and raised over there .,. the problem is with coaching and sports science of course … these changes won’t be an overnight fix …

i Want to see how this development money is going to be spent …it needs to be scrutinised of course … I would also like to see the 17 clubs taking on say three 17-18 yr olds for say 2 yr stints over in Aust to further develop them…
French jnrs often beat the English, it means little.

Wb1234

Referee

No elite pathways before

no Aussie talent scouts at schools carnivals

they appointed grima whose copied the panthers systems

I posted a link above their pilot scheme grew from 75 to 780 kids in one year