What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So again. How does the comp expand without turning more of these players into NRL quality?
The quality drops. Then it rises again when the talent comes through.

Expansion isn't about the NRL team, it's about what players the Expansion area produces in years to comes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How long did it panthers take from when Gus came in to them winning their first comp
and what was the gap between where panthers jnrs started and where png jnrs are starting? It doesnt seem like there are firm figures on how many actual kids there are registered with PNG clubs at the moment?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree but early on these areas will struggle.
alas such is the case when you have a short sighted code with no long term strategy. Perth should have had sg ball, flegg and a nsw cup side by now. when they made the decision not to bring the Pirates in for 2013 they should have had a plan in place from them. yet 14 years later they will be admitted with little in place and being forced to adopt a sydney club because we dont have the pathways in situ. its only 5 years ago Vlandys was telling us Perth had zero chance of a team. Welcome to RL.

Wb1234

Referee
and what was the gap between where panthers jnrs started and where png jnrs are starting? It doesnt seem like there are firm figures on how many actual kids there are registered with PNG clubs at the moment?
What’s your point ?
PNG can’t develop the nrl players once the elite pathways are set up ?

Iamback

Coach
alas such is the case when you have a short sighted code with no long term strategy. Perth should have had sg ball, flegg and a nsw cup side by now. when they made the decision not to bring the Pirates in for 2013 they should have had a plan in place from them. yet 14 years later they will be admitted with little in place and being forced to adopt a sydney club because we dont have the pathways in situ. its only 5 years ago Vlandys was telling us Perth had zero chance of a team. Welcome to RL.

Because there is zero reason to chance how RL players are developed, While ever the quality players continue to get spat out then things won't change.

Lets say Perth got all funded then QRL are going to sook that NSWRL is getting extra funding, the is how RL works

Vlad59

Bench
I don't mind AlwaysMean's posts. At least he puts some effort in and comes out with some witty posts. My only concern is he's guilty of the stuff he says about those he ridicules.

Vlad the Imbiber is just an old dickhead with delusions of grandeur.
If I annoy you then I’m going my job. If you admire Potter you are as big as dickhead as we all thought.

There's a reason they're part time: because they aren't good enough.

If the hunters players are good enough theyd be picked up by existing NRL clubs and be fulltime.
Are the Hunters players "part time"?

When they entered the Queensland Cup the squad lived in a compound and were fed a strict diet. Players who didn't obey the strict rules were punted from the team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because there is zero reason to chance how RL players are developed, While ever the quality players continue to get spat out then things won't change.

Lets say Perth got all funded then QRL are going to sook that NSWRL is getting extra funding, the is how RL works
well I wouldnt say zero reason, its clear we are goign to be scrambling around over next 6 years trying to bring 3 new clubs in without seriously diluting the current talent pool.
Also that Perth has effectively been forced to adopt a sydney club due to perth pathways not being put in place years ago, largely due to a lack of long term vision by the ARLC. Even this expansion race seems to have been an afterthought after Politis suggested it'd be a good idea last year. Not a great way to set strategy Id suggest.

as for qrl and nswrl sooking tough, they are both getting $20mill a year!

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is in it for the clubs?
and if those kids are any good wouldnt they prefer to stay in oz?
oh I forgot the tax break lol. What country gives its star sports people tax free living? dodgy or what. I know what id be saying if I was being taxed 42% and some millionaire throwing a ball around wasnt paying anything. Good luck with next election, but then I dont suppose PNG worries too much about election results lol.

Iamback

Coach
well I wouldnt say zero reason, its clear we are goign to be scrambling around over next 6 years trying to bring 3 new clubs in without seriously diluting the current talent pool.
Also that Perth has effectively been forced to adopt a sydney club due to perth pathways not being put in place years ago, largely due to a lack of long term vision by the ARLC. Even this expansion race seems to have been an afterthought after Politis suggested it'd be a good idea last year. Not a great way to set strategy Id suggest.

as for qrl and nswrl sooking tough, they are both getting $20mill a year!

When you are a sport that has only 2 professional comps in the world. One of which is in a country with only 25m people the other country it is a niche sport.

Then the options are limited, Again though even in the case Perth had a Ball, Flegg team how long before work gets in the way?

Without being able to offer work/study options as part of a fulltime set up then these will struggle.

Only need to look at the bottom of the Flegg table or the QLD version

Last edited:

Latest posts