What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
Some people cannot afford a meal at Macca's.

What makes you think an Aussie tax payer who cannot find an affordable house to live in will be happy to see their taxes go towards 15 NRL clubs in Australia, one in New Zealand and one in PNG?

Try to be objective for once. If you cannot see how it will turn people against the NRL then you're away with the fairies. It's a public relations nightmare for the game. Not everyone is a fanatic who is desperate for the NRL to get more funding from the tax payer than AwFuL.
Who's desperate? public relations hahahaha, your living in a social media bubble pal, if no one gave two shits about all the leg ups AFL got in the past, why are they gonna care about the leg ups NRL get, either way they are all happening regardless of your whinge

Wb1234

Referee
Hahah for Hobart, all you idiots voting for labour last election, should be ashamed of yourselves
Guilty

but partly because a png nrl team is a labor party policy

I didn’t mind socmo as sharks fan
Some people cannot afford a meal at Macca's.

What makes you think an Aussie tax payer who cannot find an affordable house to live in will be happy to see their taxes go towards 15 NRL clubs in Australia, one in New Zealand and one in PNG?

Try to be objective for once. If you cannot see how it will turn people against the NRL then you're away with the fairies. It's a public relations nightmare for the game. Not everyone is a fanatic who is desperate for the NRL to get more funding from the tax payer than AwFuL.
have you seen cities like san fanscico Detroit or la

and they have thrown 100 BILLION plus on Ukraine

total oz govt spending at the federal level in 2024 is projected at 734 billion

png is getting 60 million pa. It’s 0.008 percent lmao

Where the F**k did I say I needed a lecture on submarines, or that we never needed any? I'm all for it, get as many as the states for all I care,

...your problem is that you think they won't spend more of our tax money on more OTHER things aswell, they will, and they'll keep doing it, regardless of your insignificant one vote...
Do you bother to read what's on the screen?

You asked what has been weakened in the military.

I answered your question.

The project to build twelve diesel-electric submarines by the 2030s was scrapped. Now we're getting eight nuclear submarines that won't be operational until the 2040s. We're getting less submarines a decade later than originally planned. The current six in operation were built between 1990 and 2003. Some of them will be half a century old and obsolete by the time they're decommissioned. That's if the government sticks to its plan and builds the nuclear submarines on time.

If Australia is so scared of China invading its shores then the last thing it should be doing is delaying the construction of submarines to replace its 30 year old fleet.

China doesn't NEED to invade anywhere.

They've perfected a combination of hard-edged diplomacy & building economic dependencies, so that they can get what they want by throwing a few levers.
Which is why the PNG team is a waste of an NRL licence.

Who's desperate? public relations hahahaha, your living in a social media bubble pal, if no one gave two shits about all the leg ups AFL got in the past, why are they gonna care about the leg ups NRL get, either way they are all happening regardless of your whinge
In what universe does no one in Australia care about the money AwFuL gets from the tax payer?

The stadium thread on LU is full of people complaining about it.

Thousands of Tasmanians cared enough to protest against it in public:

Thousands of people opposed to an AFL stadium being built at Macquarie Point on Hobart's waterfront have turned out at a rally at parliament lawns

How can you say thousands of people from a rusted on fumbleball state protesting against a fumbleball stadium equates to "no one gave two shits about all the leg ups AFL got in the past"?

This is proof that you are full of shit and live in a fantasy world.

Guilty

but partly because a png nrl team is a labor party policy

I didn’t mind socmo as sharks fan

have you seen cities like san fanscico Detroit or la

and they have thrown 100 BILLION plus on Ukraine

total oz govt spending at the federal level in 2024 is projected at 734 billion

png is getting 60 million pa. It’s 0.008 percent lmao
Flippant comments like this won't make people who are feeling the pinch accept Albo's proposal.

Do you think mockery is going to make them agree with you?

They'll tell you to "get f**ked".

Steel Saints

Juniors
Issue is with Perth and png entering the nrl a year apart is they are going to be fighting over linited nrl players

png has the advantage of lesser travels times on average and also no tax on salaries

ideally the two clubs entries would be more staggered than being one year apart
Ideally the timeline for expansion should be something like:

Perth Bears 2027 (18)
PNG 2030 (19)
Bris 3 / NZ 2 2033 (20)

If PNG does come in, 2028 is too early for them.

Interesting article. Nothing for certain but a 20 team comp by 2028 would be stellar.
Yea was just reading that.... on the NZ2 front, he mentions "don’t dismiss a second Auckland franchise emerging from the shadows."

Is he just randomly throwing that out there or has he actually heard of something simmering away? No whisper of that locally.

Iamback

Coach
Yea was just reading that.... on the NZ2 front, he mentions "don’t dismiss a second Auckland franchise emerging from the shadows."

Is he just randomly throwing that out there or has he actually heard of something simmering away? No whisper of that locally.

Yeah I can't see it. As I said before player standard of the new clubs will be an issue, Not sure cutting into the Warriors catchment makes sense

Wb1234

Referee
An endless maelstrom of exclusive stories, breaking news and bombshell revelations is rapidly making NRL expansion the most tedious topic in the rugby league rinse cycle – even though it’s the most important.
Like Cameron Smith’s retirement, Wayne Bennett’s next club, and the Wests Tigers getting their shit together, we’ve reached the point where we’re now only interested when a decision is made.
We’ve been told Papua New Guinea, with its “Forbidden City” compound and tax-free contracts for players, will be the next team in – then it’s not.
We’ve been told the Perth Bears or Perth Jets or the Perth Jet Bears will come in from 2027 — then they are not.

We’ve been told the NRL hopes to be a 20-team competition before 2032 — then it’s 2030.
We’ve been told the NRL would unveil its expansion strategy in late June — then it was late July.
NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo and ARLC chairman Peter V’landys.CREDIT: DEAN SEWELL
2GB broadcaster Ben Fordham last week told his listeners we could expect some news in August, revealing the Australian and PNG governments have fast-tracked an announcement about $600 million of taxpayer money funding a new franchise and pathways in the region.
The report blindsided NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo, who had to tell club bosses at a meeting that morning that no deal had been struck.

Meanwhile, on Triple M, comedian and North Sydney tragic Jim Jefferies was telling Mark Geyer and Mick Molloy that a deal between Perth and the Bears was imminent.
“I reckon we’re 80 per cent there now,” Jefferies said. “I’ll talk to you off-air about a few things that I can’t mention. I reckon we’re good to go.”
“You can be the Bears’ Russell Crowe,” Molloy suggested.
“I’m trying to literally buy three per cent,” Jefferies laughed. “I’m the only celebrity chipping in some money so I might as well take all the glory. It’s all me, everyone! You’re welcome, people of Sydney and Perth! We’re back, baby!”
Rugby league needs Jim Jefferies. He’s our kinda guy. Alas, his representative didn’t respond to an approach for comment.

The NRL insists no decisions about what the competition will look like from 2027 onwards have been made.
It has called for expressions of interest, several consortiums have fallen out of the race as expected, and the business cases of those still in the hunt are being pieced together.
Clearly, though, PNG and a Perth consortium in partnership with the Bears are the Bonecrusher and Our Waverley Star (1986 Cox Plate) as we enter the home straight for entry into the NRL.
The ARL Commission can’t ignore the money on the table from the Albanese government for PNG, even if both the Australian and PNG administrations seem more concerned about announcing the new franchise than detailing what it will look like.

The ARLC also seems caught up in the romance of the Bears being thawed from their cryogenic slumber and playing before heaving crowds of 15,000 people at North Sydney Oval twice a year while trying to regain a foothold in AFL-obsessed Perth.
That leaves one spot left in the NRL’s magical 20-team premiership. Brisbane Easts and the Wellington Orcas are pushing hard, but don’t dismiss a second Auckland franchise emerging from the shadows.
The NRL likes the idea a local derby following the success of the Dolphins and their intense rivalry with the Broncos. (Yes, Redcliffe is directly north of Brisbane, not part of Brisbane, but the sides share Suncorp Stadium and already developed a healthy dislike for each other. You get the gist).
Regardless of which bids are successful, a sustainable 20-team competition has enormous appeal because it solves some of rugby league’s biggest problems.
The beauty of having more teams is it allows the NRL to play fewer matches, freeing up time for other content.

The premiership can be contested over a proper home-and-away draw, with all teams playing each other once. Add a Magic Round and you have a 20-round premiership.
That is preferable to the 27-round monster we have now. Introduce conferences or relegation if you like, but a simpler, shorter draw is a must.
The Dolphins have been a raging success as the NRL’s 17th team – particularly their derby against Brisbane.

The Dolphins have been a raging success as the NRL’s 17th team – particularly their derby against Brisbane.CREDIT: GETTY
With each passing year, it becomes clear the NRL season is too long. It starts in the first week of March and ends in the first week of October. The post-Origin flat spot is a grind. Players, coaches, officials and fans are fatigued.
Is too much rugby league barely enough? No. It’s more than enough.

Consider the players. The training is getting tougher because the opposition is getting faster and stronger. If they don’t beat you, an injury probably will.
The physical toll on the player has never been so great. Something needs to give, other than an elite player’s hamstrings.
The NRL craves what the NFL has: a compact, 18-round season loaded with blockbusters and short on blowouts.
Fewer premiership matches allows the NRL to either pause mid-season or wait until the end to play Origin matches, internationals and women’s fixtures.
Of course, the game can only expand if it gets serious about grassroots football. That starts and ends with a better relationship with the NSWRL and QRL and the clubs.

Last week, a high-placed NRL source told me there had been discussions about introducing a 20-team competition in 2028, when the next broadcast deal will kick in. Again, it’s only a thought. Nothing’s set in stone.
The NRL won’t be rushed into making a call on which franchises are given a golden ticket to Peter V’landys’ Chocolate Factory.
But even the ARL Commission chairman, known for his crash-or-crash-through ethic, is said to be taking things slowly and carefully on expansion. He doesn’t want to get it wrong.
So, stay tuned!

We can exclusively reveal there’s nothing to report other than there is nothing to report — but it will be interesting when there is.

Wb1234

Referee
Jim jefffries to invest in Perth bears

Potential second Auckland team vs Christchurch

seven bidders have dropped off with four left

potential 20 round competition (which is bs imo)

Wb1234

Referee

IMO it’s his own opinion

pvl spruiked up the Brisbane derby via Redcliffe so he’s assuming he will copy that in Auckland

the warriors won’t allow it

png got moved from cairns which is 3 hours drive from Townsville bc the cowboys complained no way they allow another team in Auckland anytime soon

Latest posts