What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Vlad59

Bench
Imagine the shit fight in club land over for example who out of Broncos and Cowboys gets to host their only match up of the year
This is about the game growing and the clubs growing with it. Difficult concept for you I know but then again you are pretty much anti everything.

Vlad59

Bench
The teams won’t allow their home games to be reduced by a 20 round comp. IMO it will be 2x conferences, you play all your conference twice and all the other conference once.
Depends how you structure the rest of the year. With twenty teams, SOO and international footy we have an open door to change. Scary but true

Iamback

Coach
This is about the game growing and the clubs growing with it. Difficult concept for you I know but then again you are pretty much anti everything.

How is Cowboys losing their biggest drawcard good for the game?

As for me being anti everything. I am the only one on here pro PNG. You pissed soaked Alco

Vlad59

Bench
How is Cowboys losing their biggest drawcard good for the game?

As for me being anti everything. I am the only one on here pro PNG. You pissed soaked Alco
More abuse. I’ve got you under your skin! This is about an international comp making the best of its opportunities across the region not about two clubs having a whinge about a local derby being played twice in one year. Think small and you’ll stay small. Oh and your anti expansion stance is well known and in black and white everywhere here. Keep them coming mate. You are easy meat.

Iamback

Coach
More abuse. I’ve got you under your skin! This is about an international comp making the best of its opportunities across the region not about two clubs having a whinge about a local derby being played twice in one year. Think small and you’ll stay small. Oh and your anti expansion stance is well known and in black and white everywhere here. Keep them coming mate. You are easy meat.

Nah not under my skin just calling out your shit.

Local derbies was an example

Auckland
Canberra
Townsville
Melbourne
Newcastle
Brisbane
Gold Coast

All would lose 2-3 NRL games to reduce the season. So again tell me how a shortened season is good for the game?

Point me to where I said I didn't want expansion? If it is that easy you should have plenty of examples

Iamback

Coach
Pfff I was first about png then @MugaB

I’ve copped crap from most of this forum for it lol

point reminds the forum alco is way off the mark here but with expansion comes questions about player quality.

The 2 go together. As does the flow on from cutting games to particularly the regional clubs.

Wb1234

Referee
point reminds the forum alco is way off the mark here but with expansion comes questions about player quality.

The 2 go together. As does the flow on from cutting games to particularly the regional clubs.
I don’t think you are anti expansion one bit

snickers007

Juniors
The teams won’t allow their home games to be reduced by a 20 round comp. IMO it will be 2x conferences, you play all your conference twice and all the other conference once.

No chance that the RLPA allows it, and good luck plotting it on a calendar.

28 weeks of regular season
4 weeks of finals
3 weeks of pre-season
3 weeks of origin
10 weeks forced holidays
= 48 weeks accounted for

To hit the October long weekend Grand Final, and maintain Origin mid-season, Round 1 would be first weekend of February at the latest.

BuffaloRules

Coach

So in a 20 team comp… that’s 28 games each

Cant see it …too many

maybe 4 divisions of 5… play the other 4 in your division twice and all the other teams once …23 games … 11 games home/away … + Magic Round

4 QLD + PNG
Perth, Newcastle , Manly, Souffs ,Roosters
Wests, Parra, Canterbury, Penrith, Dragons
2 NZ, Melb, Canberra, Sharks

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
Agree Warriors would be fuming; they're unhappy enough about a potential CHCH team, let alone another one down the road.

But I can see the potential investor attraction in a hypothetical AKL2, maybe even the same ones considering CHCH. They'll see AKL as being a bigger market than CHCH (even if they have to 'share' it), its less union-entrenched than CHCH, and the current stadium review means there's a (small) chance of a new CBD stadium which would massively unlock supporter interest across the city for all codes.

I don't like it, but I can understand if there's bean counter interest.

And it'd be a huge shot across the bows for NZR. CHCH may be RU heartland, but a second NRL team in the country's population and commercial center would be the biggest fk you they could ever deliver.

There's no Auckland bid. Journo made that up. Orcas aren't even around anymore.

Iamback

Coach
So in a 20 team comp… that’s 28 games each

Cant see it …too many

maybe 4 divisions of 5… play the other 4 in your division twice and all the other teams once …23 games … 11 games home/away … + Magic Round

That is how I think it will play out. No area loses games. The big derbies are kept to keep clubs and TV happy. Players don't have extra games

Iamback

Coach
Would be tough to pull off …

Sorta proves the NRL dragged the chain on expansion ..at the very least they should have announced Team 18 ( Perth) 12 months ago for 2026

Yeah it comes to our discussion yesterday about getting enough NRL players ready to come in

Latest posts