What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

So govt support for a bid is ok IF it benefits our game ?
I think you know that you're being very disingenuous. The PNG bid requires $29m per annum from the Aussie tax payer just to field a team in the NRL. On top of that they need to provide tax free status to players just so they can get anyone to play for them. No other club in the history of Australian professional sport has required so many leg ups just to field a team.

I'm sure you won't respond to my pertinent point about PNG's reliance on the tax payer and special privileges that are sure to anger the other clubs. You will try to argue that PNG is no different to the Cowboys and Perth. It's what you do when your bullshit has been exposed.

Billythekid

First Grade
PNG is a developing nation, with the requisite government corruption and social problems that come with rapid growth and exposure to western ideals and the flow of money. This will change over time.

The population of PNG is anywhere between 10M (official estimates) and 17M (estimates from UN satellite imagery in 2022, a study funded by Australia). Population growth is estimated at 11% per annum.

Flight time from Sydney to Port Moresby is approx. 4 hours (Perth is 5, Christchurch 3).

Rugby League is the national sport, and is part of the school curriculum.

$600M of government funding is blatant chequebook diplomacy. But in this case raises the level sophistication of such a deal above a new port or oil and gas project, as it has a direct impact on all citizens of PNG. The entire nation will get behind it.

Cynically, we know that at the front of Albanese's mind in all of this is the prospect of a Chinese navy dockyard approximately 800km from Cairns.

In terms of the logistical problems presented with the establishment of a team in Port Moresby, is this short-term thinking? In 20 years it could be a franchise to admire (and fear).
I think it’s also important to point that 600M over that length of time isn’t actually that huge of a number really. As I’ve pointed out elsewhere on this forum we’ll splash billions of dollars on a road that potentially offers no improvements or even makes things worse and there’s little more than a whimper complaining about the cost. When it comes to foreign aid this is a drop in the bucket. Some might argue that when it comes to defending Australia’s sovereign interests spending money on diplomacy like this is probably better value than spending almost 400 billion on some new subs.

On a seperate note I think it’s short sighted for those people suggesting it’s the wrong decision for the Australian government to give aid money to PNG. I’m not even talking about this team here, it’s absolutely in Australia’s interest to not have PNG be an absolute basket case.

Wb1234

Referee
I think you know that you're being very disingenuous. The PNG bid requires $29m per annum from the Aussie tax payer just to field a team in the NRL. On top of that they need to provide tax free status to players just so they can get anyone to play for them. No other club in the history of Australian professional sport has required so many leg ups just to field a team.

I'm sure you won't respond to my pertinent point about PNG's reliance on the tax payer and special privileges that are sure to anger the other clubs. You will try to argue that PNG is no different to the Cowboys and Perth. It's what you do when your bullshit has been exposed.
You said nz2 might rely on govt money but that’s ok since the nrl will benefitz

so same applies for png lol

Wb1234

Referee
any club that requires a $29mil a year hand out + $18mill NRL grant just to survive is very questionable wouldnt you say?
They don’t need 29 million pa

however with 29 million pa they are going to be one of the richest nrl clubs from day one

nrl grant 17.5 million
Australian govt grant 29 million

total revenue 46.5 million

It actually would be better if it was ten million over 30 years

all that extra money they will probably invest in property that will sustain them longer term

also remember when I told you the club would be getting the money from that govt and you said no chance lol

wrong again

Perth Red

Post Whore

however with 29 million pa they are going to be one of the richest nrl clubs from day one

nrl grant 17.5 million

all that extra money they will probably invest in property that will sustain them longer term

also remember when I told you the club would be getting the money from that govt and you said no chance lol

wrong again
I remember you being convinced they would be admitted in 2026, so convinced in fact you made a bet with me. Remember that?

Perth Red

Post Whore

nrl grant 17.5 million

wrong again
great so not only is our tax money being spent on a foreign professional sports team, its not actually needed and will be used to feather their nest? Geez it just sounds better and better.

Wb1234

Referee
great so not only is our tax money being spent on a foreign professional sports team, its not actually needed and will be used to feather their nest? Geez it just sounds better and better.
That’s your response ?

you were talking about how financially sustainable the team will be

now when I’ve shown you they will be you are sooking and saying they shouldn’t get the help lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Going to be minted
yeh thats what happens when someone throws money at you, not earnt. There'll be some suitcases going out of Port Moresby over the next few years.

Wb1234

Referee
yeh thats what happens when someone throws money at you, not earnt. There'll be some suitcases going out of Port Moresby over the next few years.

18th nrl team thread

take it to 4C

I don't trust the PNG bid.