What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

There's no point to your meme.

Your first mistake was replacing the brain with a potato. It's a dumb insult that's neither funny nor witty and has been used repetively by you and the dope from Tasmania.

You then doubled down on your stupidity by saying "potato".

Are you too stupid to realise that the words are supposed to represent the thoughts on the subject's mind?

I don't talk about spuds. That's what you and your dopey mate from Tasmania do because you cannot come up with anything more intelligent to say. Ironically, you talk about "Logan" more than I do. You also talk about me and Hugh Jackman a lot. Hence the reason the meme I created used those words with a small brain.

My meme mocked your small-minded obsession with me, potatoes, Logan and Hugh Jackman

Vlad59

Bench
Sigh.

The NSWRL's dominance between 1909 and 1918 was based on a fair chunk of the NSWRU's best players defecting to the NSWRL.

The QRU's players remained loyal until their competition shut down during WWI.

The interstate series between Queensland and NSW was heavily one-sided in the latter's favour until the former gained access to seasoned players from the QRU. Between 1918 and 1930 there was no rugby union competition in Brisbane. During this period Queensland were successful in the interstate series. At the time, players from Brisbane were just as likely to play in the Ipswich and Toowoomba competitions as they were to play in the NSWRL. Queensland was very decentralised back then.

Queensland experienced another period of success during the 1950s. Then the NSW Gov legalised gaming machines in the late 1950s and Queensland struggled until the BRL produced a golden generation of players in the late 1970s. It led to the advent of State of Origin.

The game in Queensland was struggling due to NSWRL raiding the shit out of the BRL. It made the interstate series a boring one-sided contest.

Two things saved the game in Queensland.

1. A golden generation of players from Queensland made their way through the grades in the BRL during the 1970s.​
2. The introduction of State of Origin in 1980.​

The Sydney media and NSWRL laughed at the concept and called it a "non-event". That's right mate, if it was up to the NSWRL and Sydney media then Origin would have never been played and the game wouldn't be as big as it is today. But keep telling yourself that the game is in the position it is in due to the NSWRL.

The NSWRL clubs went into overdrive plundering the Origin stars from the BRL in the 1980s. BRL clubs went bankrupt trying to hold onto them because these players drew fans to club games. Unfortunately, they didn't have access to pokie machine revenue. Players defected to NSWRL clubs that had gaming machine revenue. Crowds for BRL games declined. Interest in BRL declined. It was a death spiral that the BRL couldn't survive. One that was caused by NSWRL taking advantage of their access to gaming machine revenue. To argue that gaming machines was not responsible for what happened in 1988 is just plain dumb and makes it impossible to take you seriously.

The NSWRL and Sydney RL fans were quite disgusting during the 1980s. In one instance the Australian Kangaroos coach refused to select players from the Queensland State of Origin team that smashed NSW. Australia lost as a result. Feral fans from Sydney booed Australian captain Wally Lewis as he led the Kangaroos onto the SCG and held up the trophy on stsge. There's no justification for that sort of narrow-minded pettiness. New South Welshmen were throwing a tantrum because the Queenslanders were better than them at rugby league, so they used their influence behind the scenes to punish them. They still do it today. It wasn't that long ago that the ARL sent a shit Sydney Roosters SG Ball team to Scotland to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games RL Nines trial tournament, despite the Townsville Stingers defeating them in the national championships. Australia lost that tournament to PNG.

The Sydney-centric ARLC will always place the interests of Sydney RL ahead of the good of the game. Don't whinge when it creates apathy and resentment in Queensland and New Zealand. You cannot expect me to be an avid active supporter of the game when it is rigged in favour of Sydney RL clubs. Sadly, you and your mates on here only care about controlling the balance of power and couldn't care less about the long-term health of the game.

V'landys didn't bring in Brisbane 2 out of kindness for Queenslanders.

The Broncos, Cowboys and Titans were struggling on the field and it had an adverse impact on TV ratings. The broadcast rights were up for negotiation. Balance of power was in the hands of the broadcasters due to COVID-19. He had no choice but to strengthen the amount of content in Brisbane.
Potato

Vlad59

Bench
There's no point to your meme.

Your first mistake was replacing the brain with a potato. It's a dumb insult that's neither funny nor witty and has been used repetively by you and the dope from Tasmania.

You then doubled down on your stupidity by saying "potato".

Are you too stupid to realise that the words are supposed to represent the thoughts on the subject's mind?

I don't talk about spuds. That's what you and your dopey mate from Tasmania do because you cannot come up with anything more intelligent to say. Ironically, you talk about "Logan" more than I do. You also talk about me and Hugh Jackman a lot. Hence the reason the meme I created used those words with a small brain.

My meme mocked your small-minded obsession with me, potatoes, Logan and Hugh Jackman
Potato

Wb1234

Referee
Been calling for a stand alone origin series for 10 years

adding teams more quickly means maybe an extra 100 million pa on the tv deal but it’s rushing it all those teams would be weak

Png can afford to start out weak the other two can’t

Steel Saints

Juniors
A massive reduction of games going from 24 to 19. Ten games per week equates to 190 matches in a regular season. In a 16 team comp, there were 192 matches. Currently there is 204 matches.

Not sure if the NRL would get much value in broadcast revenue. Maybe just go with 22 rounds, and only play three teams on two occasions. In a 20 team comp, 22 rounds is 220 regular matches.

Also down the track, the code needs to expand to Adelaide, and possibly have 22 teams.

Vlad59

Bench
Been calling for a stand alone origin series for 10 years

adding teams more quickly means maybe an extra 100 million pa on the tv deal but it’s rushing it all those teams would be weak

Png can afford to start out weak the other two can’t
You’d assume the new teams would struggle a bit but I’m thinking there will be a raid on English league, and the fact players will play less games means the player pool might be able to be stretched further anyway with less injuries and fatigue. Going to 20 in 2028 might be risky but the strategy outlined in the article overall is very solid. Perth and NZ offer genuine new tv times slots so the opportunity to increase the tv deal is real. Origin viewership could scale new levels with the stand alone proposal. And yes you’ve called for this for a long time. I don’t know how anybody can play origin and nrl within 48 hours. Bloody ridiculous

Oh and I reckon the NZ strategy will reach new levels. Huge prospective player pool there.

jim_57

Staff member
A massive reduction of games going from 24 to 19. Ten games per week equates to 190 matches in a regular season. In a 16 team comp, there were 192 matches. Currently there is 204 matches.

Not sure if the NRL would get much value in broadcast revenue. Maybe just go with 22 rounds, and only play three teams on two occasions. In a 20 team comp, 22 rounds is 220 regular matches.

Also down the track, the code needs to expand to Adelaide, and possibly have 22 teams.

Yeh not a fan of reducing season length that drastically at all. Means we’d start after the AFL, have a lot less content to sell to broadcasters, derbies would only be played once a year etc. Defeats the purpose of adding extra games each weekend if the total package is smaller, good luck getting a great TV deal.

Crowds, ratings and interest in general aren’t as susceptible to stars sitting out games as they used to be. Just keep the season length the same/similar but introduce a cap on how many games each player can play in the regular season, 2 or 3 less than maximum would do.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Yeh not a fan of reducing season length that drastically at all. Means we’d start after the AFL, have a lot less content to sell to broadcasters, derbies would only be played once a year etc. Defeats the purpose of adding extra games each weekend if the total package is smaller, good luck getting a great TV deal.

Crowds, ratings and interest in general aren’t as susceptible to stars sitting out games as they used to be. Just keep the season length the same/similar but introduce a cap on how many games each player can play in the regular season, 2 or 3 less than maximum would do.

Yep, less content equals less tv $$$. If the NRL is concerned about players backing up just 48 hours from Origin, then a simple solution is to have the game on a Monday night, rather than Wednesday night.

My personal preference is for each team to play 23 games. The draw would comprise of each team having eleven home games. Magic Round is the added round. A reduction of one round. Also each team has one bye, plus three standalone rep weeks, which equates to a total of 27 weeks.

Wb1234

Referee

Article suggests they want a stand alone origin period which stops rep stars backing up

Iamback

Coach

That is what it comes down to, They need TV to pay more to cover the new teams.

Also a 19 round comp is 2-3 home games less for clubs. So will prob sit in the middle between that and the current set up.

Although pausing the comp doesn't allow players to have a shorter pre season. So not sure that is a benefit to the players as well.

Wb1234

Referee
That is what it comes down to, They need TV to pay more to cover the new teams.

Also a 19 round comp is 2-3 home games less for clubs. So will prob sit in the middle between that and the current set up.

Although pausing the comp doesn't allow players to have a shorter pre season. So not sure that is a benefit to the players as well.
Rep players don’t have to back up and non rep players get 3 weeks off