What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
I believe they’ve already started pumping money in to the pathways in PNG itself. They will need to start integrating their best juniors in to the Australian comps sooner rather than later though.

All those comps except Flegg are only short so shouldn’t be impossible to get a couple teams up and running for a start.

Correct. They are spending $5m on the juniors as of now

Iamback

Coach
They need to start junior teams in the QLD &/or NSW systems as quickly as possible, like next year quickly. Only 3 years left if they really are in 2028.

Options are:
U16 - Cyril Connell Cup (QRL) - 7 weeks + finals.
U17 - Harold Matts (NSWRL) - 9 weeks + finals.
U18 - Mal Meninga Cup (QRL) - 11 weeks + finals.
U19 - SG Ball (NSWRL) - 9 weeks + finals.
U21 - Jersey Flegg (NSWRL) - 26 weeks + finals.

Hunters should have teams Cyril Connell & Mal Meninga as of next year. Flegg side should be an aim in the next year or 2 as well as the only long running comp of the lot.

PM Vipers were looking at the possibility of joining NSW Cup a year or 2 back, wonder if they’d be interested in running a side in SG Ball or Flegg as a trial run.

All of this would need some of that government $ of course but might as well start it rolling if/when they make the announcement.

Townsville don't even run those sides, are they allowed to have teams? If not then Jersey Flegg is the one for sure

jim_57

Staff member
Townsville don't even run those sides, are they allowed to have teams? If not then Jersey Flegg is the one for sure

Townsville Blackhawks run Cyril Connell & Mal Meninga Cup teams, same as all the other QCup teams except PNG. Wide Bay Bulls run in both as well but not QCup.

I don’t see why PNG Hunters couldn’t run teams in both, not sure if they’ve ever applied. Would only be 4-5 games in PNG for each.

Assuming the NRL team isn’t going to be the Hunters they could set up a Flegg team under the NRL team’s umbrella once that is decided, maybe 2026 or 2027.

final say

Juniors
A good test for PNG is to give their Q cup team some extra spend. If they can attract players and dominate Q cup then it's a good test run on an NRL team.

They have lower tv ratings in Sydney than any nrl club. Undisputed. Therefore your statement they have the largest following of any club in Sydney is DISPUTED.

They do … the Swans ratings are pathetic in Sydney after so many years is success …

The AFL should compromise their competition more and give them a few more leg ups ..
I don’t understand how each of your reference to tv ratings in Sydney is measurable to my point?

How many NRL games a weekend do you each watch?

Matt_CBY

Juniors
The old tired every rugby league fan watches every game while meaning the ratings are the same people!!! While the AFL’s ratings are from different people.

It’s a thought process that couldn’t be more wrong.

What measurements are you using otherwise ?
Attendees, membership number, corporate partners, merchandise sales.

So to my question, why would tv vieiwing figures be relevant?
How often does your mummy change your nappy swanny boy?
I’m not a Swan and I find it ironic that you are reverting to poor nappy insults instead of holding a conversation like an adult.

You responded to my original post, I kind of figured you were interested enough to discuss two varying opinions. I will leave it to you my fellow Sharkie if you want to discuss the subject further properly.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Attendees, membership number, corporate partners, merchandise sales.

So to my question, why would tv vieiwing figures be relevant?

There are many more that attend NRL games in Sydney each year than AFL games … get your head past averages and look at the totals each year ..

However, There is more to sports than attendance… a lot more …

The biggest revenue providers for sports are for broadcasting rights ..

You can’t just dismiss the poor ratings numbers for your sport in Sydney because they don’t suit you …

You obviously aren’t from Sydney right ?

Last edited:
There are many more that attend NRL games in Sydney each year than AFL games … get your head past averages and look at the totals each year ..

However, There is more to sports than attendance… a lot more …

The biggest revenue providers for sports are for broadcasting rights ..

You can’t just dismiss the poor ratings numbers for your sport in Sydney because they don’t suit you …

You obviously aren’t from Sydney right ?
I’m a Sydney boy and a very passionate RL fan (before that is questioned).

You are not wrong in what you say above. More people in Sydney attend RL matches in than AFL. And more people in Sydney watch RL than AFL on tv too. Neither of those statements are contrary to my comment though.

My comment was each Sydney NRL club would kill for the support the Swans have.

Television revenue delivered to each individual NRL and AFL club is still less than 50% of almost each AFL/NRL club’s annual income (apart from a minority of poorly performing NRL clubs).

The fact of the matter is, there are no Sydney NRL clubs which have bigger crowd attendances, bigger memberships, bigger corporate sponsorship revenue, or bigger merchandise sales than the Sydney Swans. For all of those reasons, I come to the conclusion that the Swans are the biggest pro sports club in Sydney, with RL still being the overwhelming most favoured sport of the Sydney population.

I find it appalling that a RL club with as big a catchment area as Parramatta, in an overwhelming RL city, which play out of a marvellous brand spanking new stadium, with all the comforts that brings, still average less than 18k attendees year to date.

The NRL really needs to work with Sydney clubs to dramatically improve their game day experience for spectators.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’m a Sydney boy and a very passionate RL fan (before that is questioned).

You are not wrong in what you say above. More people in Sydney attend RL matches in than AFL. And more people in Sydney watch RL than AFL on tv too. Neither of those statements are contrary to my comment though.

My comment was each Sydney NRL club would kill for the support the Swans have.

Television revenue delivered to each individual NRL and AFL club is still less than 50% of almost each AFL/NRL club’s annual income (apart from a minority of poorly performing NRL clubs).

The fact of the matter is, there are no Sydney NRL clubs which have bigger crowd attendances, bigger memberships, bigger corporate sponsorship revenue, or bigger merchandise sales than the Sydney Swans. For all of those reasons, I come to the conclusion that the Swans are the biggest pro sports club in Sydney, with RL still being the overwhelming most favoured sport of the Sydney population.

I find it appalling that a RL club with as big a catchment area as Parramatta, in an overwhelming RL city, which play out of a marvellous brand spanking new stadium, with all the comforts that brings, still average less than 18k attendees year to date.

The NRL really needs to work with Sydney clubs to dramatically improve their game day experience for spectators.

Well… seems we both have our opinions then ..You will never convince me of your argument and I won’t convince you of mine because all that matters to you are crowds at 11 games a year compared against a highly divided/fragmented opposite… you dismiss TV ratings because it shows that there is no level of “casual fan “ for the Swans .. you are either a rabid member and game attendee or couldn’t give the slightest ..

Meanwhile … back to the expansion

Last edited:
Well… seems we both have our opinions then ..You will never convince me of your argument and I won’t convince you of mine because all that matters to you are crowds at 11 games a year compared against a highly divided/fragmented opposite… you dismiss TV ratings because it shows that there is no level of “casual fan “ for the Swans .. you are either a rabid member and game attendee or couldn’t give the slightest ..

Meanwhile … back to the expansion
I am convinced of your argument. I never disagreed with any of your statements. My arguments are factual also, so you shouldn’t be dismissing them.

If you disagree with my outcome, that is another point. But what can’t be disputed is that the Swans have more attendees at their 11 games than any Sydney NRL club has at their respective 11 games. The Swans have more corporate backing and members than each of the Sydney NRL clubs as well. Fact.

Where I disagree with you is that tv ratings are a good indicator of individual NRL/AFL club support. I haven’t seen the tv ratings for last night’s top of the table clash, but let’s guess 400k in Sydney. Bugger it, let’s say it was 600k. That doesn’t mean 600k Panthers fans. It doesn’t mean 300k or 200k. It doesn’t mean 50k. It would simply mean there were 600k of dedicated “RL” fans watching. Great news, but that wouldn’t suggest the Panthers are a bigger club than the Swans.