What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Gotta wait for someone to post the story …

Wonder if it will mention the “AFL threat in West Brisbane “ angle
Just like the idea of png nrl team being a bulwark against China who cares what dumb reasons they use

another Brisbane nrl side is a good thing doesn’t the track

BuffaloRules

Coach
Just like the idea of png nrl team being a bulwark against China who cares what dumb reasons they use

another Brisbane nrl side is a good thing doesn’t the track

Down the track sure …

the bid will use this overblown threat though as a lame reason to create some false urgency to try to get in now ..

I would be giving the Dolphins a few more years to find their feet and bring in NZ2 as Team 20

Vlad59

Bench
I am convinced of your argument. I never disagreed with any of your statements. My arguments are factual also, so you shouldn’t be dismissing them.

If you disagree with my outcome, that is another point. But what can’t be disputed is that the Swans have more attendees at their 11 games than any Sydney NRL club has at their respective 11 games. The Swans have more corporate backing and members than each of the Sydney NRL clubs as well. Fact.

Where I disagree with you is that tv ratings are a good indicator of individual NRL/AFL club support. I haven’t seen the tv ratings for last night’s top of the table clash, but let’s guess 400k in Sydney. Bugger it, let’s say it was 600k. That doesn’t mean 600k Panthers fans. It doesn’t mean 300k or 200k. It doesn’t mean 50k. It would simply mean there were 600k of dedicated “RL” fans watching. Great news, but that wouldn’t suggest the Panthers are a bigger club than the Swans.
What a load of drivel swanny boy

steeden.

Juniors
Gotta wait for someone to post the story …

The $20 million super bid to revive the Jets​

The Newtown Jets and Ipswich Jets to form NRL bid.

The Newtown Jets and Ipswich Jets to form NRL bid.

The NRL’s expansion hopes have been given a major boost with Newtown and Ipswich forming a mega partnership. Find out how the agreement will work including team name, colours and home grounds.
Queensland could have a fifth franchise in the NRL, with the two famous clubs - both known as the Jets - combining to lodge a formal submission on Wednesday with a view to being part of a 20-team league.

Iconic millionaire advertising tycoon John Singleton is among the key backers who have promised about $20 million to help launch the club.

KEY DETAILS OF JETS REVIVAL​

Ipswich are a feeder club to Gold Coast while the Sharks and Newtown have a formal relationship.

The NRL sought expressions of interest last month and Jets chairman Steve Johnson confirmed the western-corridor bid has been re-launched again in their quest to be the code’s 18th team.

“Yes, we have put in a bid,” Johnson said.

“I think Queensland has room for another team.

“Without talking about the specific merits of any particular bid, the game can easily support another team in Queensland without affecting the existing four clubs.

“The western corridor of Brisbane has a great nursery, it’s the Penrith of Queensland, so we’ve expressed interest and we look forward to the bid process.”

Famous clubs like the Newtown Jets could be part of an FA Cup-style competition being looked at. Picture: NRL Photos

Famous clubs like the Newtown Jets could be part of an FA Cup-style competition being looked at. Picture: NRL Photos

While the Jets are pushing ahead with plans to be part of the NRL’s expansion race, they face an uphill battle to be the next team included.

The Western Bears are expected to be the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 followed by PNG a season later.

However, the 20th franchise is uncertain.

The NRL are expected to choose between another team in Queensland or a second team in New Zealand. Former NRL boss David Moffett is heading up South Island Kea after submitting a bid which would make Christchurch their home.

The Brisbane Tigers, backed by the rich Easts Leagues Club, shape as a major threat to the Jets in the battle to be the NRL’s 20th team by the 2032 Olympics.

Ipswich lost out to the Dolphins three years ago in the battle for the NRL’s 17th licence and there is a view the code cannot ignore the benefits of having the Jets playing in the big league in Brisbane’s western corridor.

The AFL have identified that area as Queensland’s next major sporting growth market and a Newtown-Ipswich joint venture could give the NRL a potent strategic alliance.

“It’s a great partnership between both Jets brands,” a source close to negotiations said.

“The Jets would love to be the NRL’s 18th team but if the NRL is going with the Bears, then they have a lot to offer in a 20-team league.

“The bid is financially robust, the Jets could be operational in the NRL by 2027.”

The NRL’s expansion plans are expected to reach a crescendo at the end of September with plans to make a formal announcement either immediately before or after the grand final.

It is understood that after receiving interest from 11 potential consortiums , the NRL received formal applications from up to nine parties when the bid process was cut off earlier this week.

The Ipswich Jets boys. Picture: Justine Parisi/Ipswich Jets Media

The Ipswich Jets boys. Picture: Justine Parisi/Ipswich Jets Media

Head office is expected to spend coming weeks sifting through the bids and conducting further talks with their preferred candidates, before holding talks with their existing clubs and broadcasters to gauge their view on the future.

The ARL Commission will then likely hold a meeting in September to finalise the 18th, 19th and potentially 20th teams. It is believed the south island of New Zealand is viewed as the logical 20th side, although any decision to add another team across the Tasman will depend on the quality of the bids.

This will be Newtown’s second attempt at returning to top flight rugby league for the first time since 1983. They had advanced talks with Western Australia consortium before they partnered with the Bears.

Singleton has publicly backed Newtown’s bid to return.

“I have a commitment to try and get Newtown back into the competition,” Singleton told this masthead in June. “Sometimes you do things in life because you said you would. This is not for any financial benefit to me. I don’t see it as an investment.”

steeden.

Juniors
The big items are

KEY DETAILS OF JETS REVIVAL​

• The team name will simply be called the Jets. Newtown and Ipswich share the same moniker which they will keep in the name, mirroring that of the Dolphins' decision to not have a region attached to it;
  • Ipswich and Newtown would be joint owners of the NRL franchise;
  • The team will be permanently based in Ipswich. They will train at Ipswich and aim to play at least six homes at Suncorp Stadium;
  • They will wear Ipswich’s traditional green jersey whenever they play in Queensland but outside of Queensland they will have a Newtown Jets-inspired blue kit;
  • The potential to play one home game at either Henson Park or Leichhardt Oval;
  • A plan to have an NRL trial at Henson Park where the Jets team will take on a fellow NRL side. The curtain-raiser would be a match between Newtown and Ipswich.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Well that just threw a grenade into the SE-Queensland landscape - if not the whole bid round.

It pushes a lot of nostalgia buttons (like the Western Bears) AND the "lets promote a Queensland Cup club" button (like the Dolphins).

If I was involved with the Brisbane Easts (branding tbc) bid, I'd be a bit worried.

Latest posts