What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
Western Corridor Jets?
Ipswich Jets? (with the QCup Ipswich Jets leaving the being replaced by the same club with a different name - instead of the NRL club having the Different name?)
Brisbane Jets?
South Queensland Jets?
South Qld Jets
Paying Homage to the XXXX Gold Crushers, colors of Gold, Navy and the tertiary bottle Green... now that's a unique color combo...

Uhm this Jets idea seems a little far fetched... green kits in Queensland blue kits in NSW what happens if they are in the Grand Final every year?

I also propose Gold Coast Titans should create a Super Club taking history from the past clubs. I PRESENT YOU....
The Giant Charging Gladiator Seagull Titans!

MugaB

Coach
Uhm this Jets idea seems a little far fetched... green kits in Queensland blue kits in NSW what happens if they are in the Grand Final every year?

I also propose Gold Coast Titans should create a Super Club taking history from the past clubs. I PRESENT YOU....
The Giant Charging Gladiator Seagull Titans!
The Tans for short
Titans and Giants are similar enough, the Romans used to march using a golden staff with an eagle like bird on it (seagull) and just have it all full surrounded by electricity.. (charger)

MugaB

Coach
Whilst I enjoy your sense of humour, you just cannot use "The Tans" as a nickname, it's already been used, and in an extremely negative context. The Black and Tans are commonly referred to as "The Tans"

Well I don't think the British and Irish count for much down here to be that offended by some term used over a century ago, aside from that, the titans are usually referred to as the Tits in my circles, I'd rather see them not as its derogatory for the breasts I've grown to love

BuffaloRules

Coach
Mate
..who cares, it was a century ago... calling the Gold Coast moniker anything will piss off someone somewhere, the Wahs nickname already piss off grammar students here on the forum

Ok … Iike most things here … I don’t take them too seriously…

I seriously doubt they call them the Tans though

MugaB

Coach
Ok … Iike most things here … I don’t take them too seriously…

I seriously doubt they call them the Tans though

Titans (M) 46 defeated Broncos 18. This is the platonic ideal of Walters’ Collapse Broncos but there will be plenty of time to eulogise this period of Brisbane football.

The 2020 Titans were the first Gold Coast team to sweep the Broncos (where multiple games were played in one season) and the 2024 Titans join them in this illustrious club, breaking a run of four straight Broncos wins through 2022 and 2023. Having watched the Titans closely for more than a few years now, it’s hard to point to this as a definite turning point - I will gladly be late when/if that happens than stake any ego on being early - but this is the signature win of Hasler’s tenure so far. Considering how poorly 2024 started, Gold Coast have worked their way to competitiveness in an impressive fashion. While the Tans are still prone to dropping 30 points to the Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs and losing to the Tigers, they’ve won five of their last six, scoring 205 points and conceding just 108. That’s pretty good. While this may rhyme but doesn’t quite feel like a last-five-games-of-2020 scenario; it might be legit. They couldn’t possibly win out and make finals but what if they did?

.....the above was a quote from last weeks, Maroon Observer
..Queenslanders can call their teams, The bronx
The Tans, The Phins, The Cows (they don't, but can) just like the NZder's have nicknamed the warriors the WAHS, we don't need to understand it, nor do we need to struggle to unwrap it or marginalise it to some century old rogue Irish faction

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach

Titans (M) 46 defeated Broncos 18. This is the platonic ideal of Walters’ Collapse Broncos but there will be plenty of time to eulogise this period of Brisbane football.

The 2020 Titans were the first Gold Coast team to sweep the Broncos (where multiple games were played in one season) and the 2024 Titans join them in this illustrious club, breaking a run of four straight Broncos wins through 2022 and 2023. Having watched the Titans closely for more than a few years now, it’s hard to point to this as a definite turning point - I will gladly be late when/if that happens than stake any ego on being early - but this is the signature win of Hasler’s tenure so far. Considering how poorly 2024 started, Gold Coast have worked their way to competitiveness in an impressive fashion. While the Tans are still prone to dropping 30 points to the Sea Eagles and Rabbitohs and losing to the Tigers, they’ve won five of their last six, scoring 205 points and conceding just 108. That’s pretty good. While this may rhyme but doesn’t quite feel like a last-five-games-of-2020 scenario; it might be legit. They couldn’t possibly win out and make finals but what if they did?

Cheers … I’ll have to subscribe to this newsletter

MugaB

Coach
Cheers … I’ll have to subscribe to this newsletter
It's good, really good breaks down expansion news inexplicably well too, whether he agrees with the bids or not, let's you surmise your own thoughts on it, not just driving the narrative like the "news.ltd"of the world
Obviously bias towards qld folk, but mainly NRL news just for qld teams

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's good, really good breaks down expansion news inexplicably well too, whether he agrees with the bids or not, let's you surmise your own thoughts on it, not just driving the narrative like the "news.ltd"of the world
Obviously bias towards qld folk, but mainly NRL news just for qld teams

Expansion has become a lazy topic for News ltd… mainly they just write the same story every few weeks, and the juorno presents his opinion as facts which will be “confirmed” by the NRL “soon”

Well I don't think the British and Irish count for much down here to be that offended by some term used over a century ago, aside from that, the titans are usually referred to as the Tits in my circles, I'd rather see them not as its derogatory for the breasts I've grown to love
10 years ago I watched as a Real Northern Irish fella rip apart an English bloke, literally.
He kept calling him a "F*$king Tan!".
I asked him after what he meant by that and that's how I learnt about the name.
So not that long ago.