What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So Brisbane 3 to come in 2035 after all the png money has been pssed away then?
unless they are going to bup some revenue making assets for the png club out of all that sweet aussie cash the chances of them being self sustaining in ten years is about the same as tigers winning a comp under Benji.

Perth Red

Post Whore
West Indies for cricket..... no difference Png for RL
West indies dont play in a domestic comp where they are competing week in week out against the worlds best.

be interesting to know if the $29mill grant means they won’t get the nrl $18mill grant on top, or if they are getting the govt grant plus the nrl grant. Given lack of any tv or sponsor value won’t surprise me if it’s a cost zero experiment for the nrl.

Maximus

Coach
“During high-powered negotiations, the NRL has been told $29m per year will be given to the football arm of the PNG franchise for a period of 10 years – a total of $290m.

The remaining $250 million will be allocated to social welfare and education programs in png”

also once deal expires no more money

So since you've been involved in all of the negotiations, where does the $100m for the compound come from?

Wb1234

Referee
West indies dont play in a domestic comp where they are competing week in week out against the worlds best.

be interesting to know if the $29mill grant means they won’t get the nrl $18mill grant on top, or if they are getting the govt grant plus the nrl grant. Given lack of any tv or sponsor value won’t surprise me if it’s a cost zero experiment for the nrl.
29 million fed grant
Plus
18 million nrl grant

47 million revenue before sponsors etc

vs

Perth 18 million grant
Wa govt nil

18 milion revenue before game day and sponsors

Perth players marginal tax rate over 50 percent

png tax rate nil

Perth Red

Post Whore
29 million fed grant
Plus
18 million nrl grant

47 million revenue before sponsors etc

vs

Perth 18 million grant
Wa govt nil

18 milion revenue before game day and sponsors

Perth players marginal tax rate over 50 percent

png tax rate nil
Nice guess work re grant
whose paying a tax rate over 50% in australia? cuckoo cuckoo

Perth Red

Post Whore
PNG going to be a juggernaught

50 million a year in football turnover is on par with the broncos

Hopefully they use some of that money to invest in properly assets for the club
Like I said I can see the grant possibly being the govt money only and no nrl grant to be cost neutral for nrl given they wont earn the nrl any extra revenue.

Wb1234

Referee
Like I said I can see the grant possibly being the govt money only and no nrl grant to be cost neutral for nrl given they wont earn the nrl any extra revenue.
30 million football turnover is still massive lol

nrl keeps the 18 million grant for itself as profits

or gives each club an extra one million each

happy days

Perth Red

Post Whore
30 million football turnover is still massive lol

nrl keeps the 18 million grant for itself as profits

or gives each club an extra one million each

happy days
It’s not, it’s at the lower end of the nrl club revenue scale these days. Presumably they will at least be able to earn $5-7mill ayear from sponsors and crowds so it’s nearer a $35mill budget to play with (if the speculation is anywhere near accurate)

When you factor in the $4mill extra player payments and the high cost of attracting talent in non playing positions to work in png it won’t go that far. Let’s hope they are getting the NRL grant as well.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So Brisbane 3 to come in 2035 after all the png money has been pssed away then?
unless they are going to bup some revenue making assets for the png club out of all that sweet aussie cash the chances of them being self sustaining in ten years is about the same as tigers winning a comp under Benji.
I'd be interested to see the plan but I'd imagine aggressive investment into income producing assets. I'd say the NRL has agreed to this backing themselves to be able to find it in 10 years alongside the corporate sponsors in PNG.

Wb1234

Referee
It’s not, it’s at the lower end of the nrl club revenue scale these days. When you factor in the $4mill extra player payments and the high cost of attracting talent in non playing positions to work in png it won’t go that far. Let’s hope they are getting the NRL grant as well.
What higher cost ?

their players pay no tax

they operate effectively on a cap close to 6 million higher than everyone else without costing them a thing

you should worry about western

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

I could be wrong but it sounds like the NRL will be administering the team in conjunction with the PNGRL, so the NRL will probably receive the Govt funds, give PNG a grant for players and coaches etc and invest in the pathways and future proofing assets themselves

Bukowski

Juniors
I could be wrong but it sounds like the NRL will be administering the team in conjunction with the PNGRL, so the NRL will probably receive the Govt funds, give PNG a grant for players and coaches etc and invest in the pathways and future proofing assets themselves
That would be the smart play.

Wb1234

Referee
Take Nathan Cleary on 1.4 million pa. In Australia he pays 600k tax a year

in png is nil

cleary would save 3 million in taxes over five year. Around 40 percent more money

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only way to make sure the money doesn’t end up in suitcases at an airport!