What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Gordie

Juniors
The reality is png is an untapped goldmine for future players

It will end up a significant percentage of all nrl players just like nz is
Looking at the numbers on the ground PNG could potentially overtake NZ as the biggest supplier of RL exports to the NRL within a 20 years period if the correct structures and pathways are implemented on the ground in PNG.

Wb1234

Immortal
Looking at the numbers on the ground PNG could potentially overtake NZ as the biggest supplier of RL exports to the NRL within a 20 years period if the correct structures and pathways are implemented on the ground in PNG.
If the nrl wants to go past 20 teams it’s going to need a lot more juniors than existing pathways can produce

Nz and the pacific plus png are where they will come from

Wb1234

Immortal
The NRL is going to need them in the not so distant future when the competition expands from 17 teams to 20 teams never mind expanding beyond 20 teams.
3 teams in five years
4 seven if you include the dolphins

Super league is another avenue which clubs seem to be looking more at

Gordie

Juniors
3 teams in five years
4 seven if you include the dolphins

Super league is another avenue which clubs seem to be looking more at
The likes of the PNG hunters, kaiviti silktails and super league will have to be looked at more as well as schoolboy RU and other niche talent pools like RU 7’s, NZRU domestic competition NPC.

heck I’d even start sniffing around the South African school boy RU competitions.

flippikat

First Grade
The likes of the PNG hunters, kaiviti silktails and super league will have to be looked at more as well as schoolboy RU and other niche talent pools like RU 7’s, NZRU domestic competition NPC.

heck I’d even start sniffing around the South African school boy RU competitions.
I like that last point - if we can get interest from school-age talent in South Africa, word will start to spread there of the NRL, and we might start to ever-so-slightly get a foothold in that market.

Sure it's a steep mountain to climb, given the heft of the SARU - but we're talking about kids with skills that are absolutely transferrable to our game.. and and this offers another pathway if the Springboks or even their European club competition teams are out of reach for them.

Gordie

Juniors
I like that last point - if we can get interest from school-age talent in South Africa, word will start to spread there of the NRL, and we might start to ever-so-slightly get a foothold in that market.

Sure it's a steep mountain to climb, given the heft of the SARU - but we're talking about kids with skills that are absolutely transferrable to our game.. and and this offers another pathway if the Springboks or even their European club competition teams are out of reach for them.
The NRL tried it before when I believe it was the roosters that signed a couple of junior springboks to play in the old Toyota cup competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Arlc should give western bears funding to set up a sth African academy program. The best kids could come over and join the bears pathway.

blue bags

First Grade

Waynesboro Benny's ETT. Tried many times
We can't give up hope
Huge amount of potential
Unbelievable

Iamback

Coach

There is no way in a corrupt country like SA. That RU being so strong lets it happen

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nrl. Clubs want additional funding to approve expansion of around 3 million extra per club pa
why are you posting news from ten weeks ago lol?

NRL shouldn't be guaranteeing clubs anything until the next tv deal is done and they know what revenue is, otheriwse like last time they will have to pull it our of critical areas like development funding.