What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Dragonwest

Juniors
There’s a lot of retro Bears merch hitting Rebel. And Tigers and Magpies.
I think we can all agree that WA Bears is a dead cert now.
I reckon Wests also sell Tigers IP for NRL to Easts Brisbane for 19th spot and WT go back to a Wests / Sydney Magpies logo and colour scheme.
Its not a certainty, it could easily fall over now with a 30-60mill licensing fee being added in by PVL at the 11th hr.

Iamback

Coach
Haha, it’ll be so funny if the bids say f**k off to Vlandys, what’s he going to do then?

Despite what you think both expansion projects are vanity projects. These areas need the game more than the game needs them.

The ARLC and the clubs know this and are such will ensure they get their $ from it

Gobsmacked

Bench
There seems to be lots of speculation that this puts PNG in the box seat but I'd be very hesitant in making that assumption.
There's massive issues about recruitment, housing, tax breaks if any, security ect.. and these aren't minor details!
How exactly are we getting 12 million dollars worth of premiership contending talent to sign up to live in PNG ? Tax breaks? Salary cap concessions? Do we risk the integrity of a fair playing field in doing so? Where will they live? A compound? Who's building it? Who's paying?How long will that take? Do they pay rent? If no then is that yet another undermining of our even playing field? And security? Who's responsible for their security? Aus gov or PNG and what are the guarantees? X amount troops or what?

It's fantasy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There seems to be lots of speculation that this puts PNG in the box seat but I'd be very hesitant in making that assumption.
There's massive issues about recruitment, housing, tax breaks if any, security ect.. and these aren't minor details!
How exactly are we getting 12 million dollars worth of premiership contending talent to sign up to live in PNG ? Tax breaks? Salary cap concessions? Do we risk the integrity of a fair playing field in doing so? Where will they live? A compound? Who's building it? Who's paying?How long will that take? Do they pay rent? If no then is that yet another undermining of our even playing field? And security? Who's responsible for their security? Aus gov or PNG and what are the guarantees? X amount troops or what?

It's fantasy.

The $600m approved by the Govt doesn’t seem to be a fantasy…

Im no fan of the PNG bid … but just because you and I don’t know the answer to these questions ..doesnt mean they are not being addressed in private …

They have 3 and a half years to get these issues sorted …. not saying that they arent significant challenges but I suspect their biggest issue will be fielding a competitive team…

MugaB

Coach

Im no fan of the PNG bid … but just because you and I don’t know the answer to these questions ..doesnt mean they are not being addressed in private …

They have 3 and a half years to get these issues sorted …. not saying that they arent significant challenges but I suspect their biggest issue will be fielding a competitive team…
They don't have to have a competitive team, I think you all forget how the dolphins came about, there is zero need for a new team to make finals let alone be competitive, that will take time, Penrith came in '67, never made finals till 1985, let alone a GF (90) let alone win a premiership (91).
Cowboys came in 95, didn't make a gf till 2005, then won in 2015.. when they started they were playing on a dust bowl cow paddock...
Why are we stressing over a 3rd world countries ability to create a super competitive team (coz the finals teams are that)

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
They don't have to have a competitive team, I think you all forget how the dolphins came about, there is zero need for a new team to make finals let alone be competitive, that will take time, Penrith never made finals till 1985, let alone a GF (90) let alone win a premiership (91).
Cowboys came in 95, didn't make a gf till 2005, then won in 2015.. when they started they were playing on a dust bowl cow paddock...
Why are we stressing over a 3rd world countries ability to create a super competitive team (coz the finals teams are that)

Not stressing about it brother …just raising a counter to the previous argument …

Gobsmacked

Bench

How long do you think it takes to build a high end compound worthy of 12 million dollars in playing talent- 30 players- their coaches , trainers, nutritionist, doctors, phycio's..50 people and their families x average 3.. 150 people. At least 50 separate quarters, pools, saunas ect.
It'll take 6 months just to decide on the land, an architect will need 6 months, then structural engineering 6 months, approval process? Not sure. It'll take 2 years of planning before you've turned the soil.

This is a major project! And NRL wouldn't be close to figuring out the real cost and timeline.
My point isn't that these aren't hurdles which can be overcome- of course they can! But if this is agreed to at any point, it's at least 10 years of planning to pull it off and that in my mind means it's no chance at team 18.

BuffaloRules

Coach
How long do you think it takes to build a high end compound worthy of 12 million dollars in playing talent- 30 players- their coaches , trainers, nutritionist, doctors, phycio's..50 people and their families x average 3.. 150 people. At least 50 separate quarters, pools, saunas ect.
It'll take 6 months just to decide on the land, an architect will need 6 months, then structural engineering 6 months, approval process? Not sure. It'll take 2 years of planning before you've turned the soil.

This is a major project! And NRL wouldn't be close to figuring out the real cost and timeline.
My point isn't that these aren't hurdles which can be overcome- of course they can! But if this is agreed to at any point, it's at least 10 years of planning to pull it off and that in my mind means it's no chance at team 18.

well… I expect them to be formally announced this weekend for the 2028 season… so let’s see who is right !

Canard

Immortal
This article on the NRL led gambling issue in PNG, and the vision of Port Moresby has changed my mind.

This looks like a very attractive place for players and their families to live, and will become a very sought after destination.

Jamberoo

Juniors
This article on the NRL led gambling issue in PNG, and the vision of Port Moresby has changed my mind.

This looks like a very attractive place for players and their families to live, and will become a very sought after destination.

Agree. These are the upper class PNG people that the NRL wants to engage. Only the rich can afford to sit on dirt and watch RL on a big screen.

Wb1234

Immortal
well… I expect them to be formally announced this weekend for the 2028 season… so let’s see who is right !
Yep good call

Likely to be announced at the pm13 / png game

Perth will still be team 18 but announced at a later date when the new structure is sorted out

Latest posts