What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Trifili13

Juniors

"Redcliffe weren’t required to pay a licence fee because their licensed club guaranteed long-term financial viability."
By that comment then it's not a licence fee but a bank guarantee in case of unforeseen failure and is not to be pissed up the wall by divying it up amongst the existing clubs. Much like a builder provides a client a 5% bank guarantee in case they default on the contract that is then returned to the builder at end of the defect liability period.

Now any proper tender or bid document would then say what the amount required is, not simply saying pay as much as you want. If the NRL wanted a licence fee or a guarantee to be paid then they should have specifically written it in the document that we want X amount, that's what a proper bid document has. Anyone arguing otherwise or saying that the NRL spoke with the consortium and told them verbally so that is enough, simply is being argumentative and has no knowledge how bids/tenders work in the real world.

I also find it hard to believe that the WA consortium paid a management firm to assist with the bid, which if I am correct was the one that assisted the Dolphins with their application, and they didn't insist on the consortium putting in a figure or asking the NRL how much was needed.

I think this has been a right royal f$%k up and both parties are scrambling to blame the other when in fact both have to take a portion of the blame.

Bukowski

Bench
By that comment then it's not a licence fee but a bank guarantee in case of unforeseen failure and is not to be pissed up the wall by divying it up amongst the existing clubs. Much like a builder provides a client a 5% bank guarantee in case they default on the contract that is then returned to the builder at end of the defect liability period.

Now any proper tender or bid document would then say what the amount required is, not simply saying pay as much as you want. If the NRL wanted a licence fee or a guarantee to be paid then they should have specifically written it in the document that we want X amount, that's what a proper bid document has. Anyone arguing otherwise or saying that the NRL spoke with the consortium and told them verbally so that is enough, simply is being argumentative and has no knowledge how bids/tenders work in the real world.

I also find it hard to believe that the WA consortium paid a management firm to assist with the bid, which if I am correct was the one that assisted the Dolphins with their application, and they didn't insist on the consortium putting in a figure or asking the NRL how much was needed.

I think this has been a right royal f$%k up and both parties are scrambling to blame the other when in fact both have to take a portion of the blame.
I don't who you are but your posts are a breath of fresh air. I'm sure some dickhead will be along shortly to drive you out of here.

MugaB

Coach
I don't who you are but your posts are a breath of fresh air. I'm sure some dickhead will be along shortly to drive you out of here.
He does make sense, but to write "zero" is still offensive, especially one who has been a defender of RL since before covid, basically this WA consortium, assumes that the licence is worthless and suggesting they are owed this.... simply put cumins should've done what he done bid wise and left the licence fee part for the bears investors to fill, if they ponied up 5-10mil just on fan investors (jeffeies, bracey, NSLeagues, whoever etc)
None of this happens

Vlad59

Bench
He does make sense, but to write "zero" is still offensive, especially one who has been a defender of RL since before covid, basically this WA consortium, assumes that the licence is worthless and suggesting they are owed this.... simply put cumins should've done what he done bid wise and left the licence fee part for the bears investors to fill, if they ponied up 5-10mil just on fan investors (jeffeies, bracey, NSLeagues, whoever etc)
None of this happens
I agree but he’s right that both parties are responsible for this occurring. The communication between them must have been poor. I also think this Paul Kind matter has not helped.

MugaB

Coach
I agree but he’s right that both parties are responsible for this occurring. The communication between them must have been poor. I also think this Paul Kind matter has not helped.
That too...
Slap in the face regardless, imagine assuming you are not to give the clubs something (other than your presence) geezus wtf politis would have sprayed his coffee everywhere when pvl told him "zero"

Politis: What!, what is it now peter
PVL: The bid has passed, barr the fee
Politis: how much were they willing to sacrifice?
PVL: Zero
Politis....
videotogif_2024.10.12_06.14.13.gif

Last edited:

Trifili13

Juniors
Thanks to all that commented positively. I am in my late 50s and have followed the Dragon's all my life (also follow Collingwood - we all have sinned sometime in our lives). I like the banter and have pissed my pants laughing at some of the witty comments on the forum (no, not incontinence due to my age) but not when it gets abusive just because you don't agree with someone's view.

Agree that putting nil fee was silly on behalf of the consortium. I get the Dolphins had asset backing and established pathways but to pay a nil fee and then ask another entrant just a couple of years later to pay millions is not right and just looks like a cash grab by the NRL. If the NRL was looking for a bank guarantee in case the shit hits the fan then say so and nominate a figure in the document so all potential bidders know what is required of them and they can budget accordingly. The WA consortium means a new market and an extra game to sell to the broadcasters, so surely that is worth something.

Is there a hidden agenda and the NRL doesn't want Cumins? Who knows. But if the NRL wants to put a team in WA, let's see if anyone else puts a proposal forward as you would assume there is no one at this stage as the NRL would have just moved on and started discussing with them and we have not heard anything during this process of another interested party for WA.

From outside looking in it looks unprofessional from both sides.

Trifili13

Juniors
That too...
Slap in the face regardless, imagine assuming you are not to give the clubs something (other than your presence) geezus wtf politis would have sprayed his coffee everywhere when pvl told him "zero"

Politis: What!, what is it now peter
PVL: The bid has passed, barr the fee
Politis: how much were they willing to sacrifice?
PVL: Zero
Politis....
View attachment 95363
And I bet it wouldn't have been plain instant coffee. Probably some milk soy latte, affogato or greek coffee.

Latest posts