What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danish

Referee
The scene where he meets rob stark to let him know what happened to his brother is pretty brutal.

they portrayed the death pretty bloody realistically too. The colour running from his face and skin as he bled out was pretty sickening.

really enjoyed this movie. Wish I’d seen it in the cinemas. Probably should have won more awards given thee relatively meek competition that year but a war movie about 2 white males ain’t going to take out any major gongs these days

Mr Spock!

Referee
The scene where he meets rob stark to let him know what happened to his brother is pretty brutal.

they portrayed the death pretty bloody realistically too. The colour running from his face and skin as he bled out was pretty sickening.

And that scene is reminiscent of SPR.

Danish

Referee
And that scene is reminiscent of SPR.

if you are talking Private Mellish’s death scene in SPR (the bloke who gets stabbed fighting over the knife), that’s about the most brutal death scene in all of cinema. To this day I can barely watch that play out.

or maybe the medic’s death calling for his mother? That’s pretty rough too. Accurate as well apparently - a lot of dying soldiers reportedly cried out for their mothers (makes sense since a lot of them were f**king children)

Mr Spock!

Referee
There are a whole heap of WW1 movies better than 1917.

eg the Lost Battalion
All Quiet on the western Front
the ANZACs TV series
Joyuex Noel
War Horse

As a bit of a war movie nut, I was disappointed by it.

Mr Spock!

Referee
if you are talking Private Mellish’s death scene in SPR (the bloke who gets stabbed fighting over the knife), that’s about the most brutal death scene in all of cinema. To this day I can barely watch that play out.

or maybe the medic’s death calling for his mother? That’s pretty rough too. Accurate as well apparently - a lot of dying soldiers reportedly cried out for their mothers (makes sense since a lot of them were f**king children)
Yeah...the shooting of Wade, the medic.

You can see the blood draining out of his face.

Danish

Referee
Yeah...the shooting of Wade, the medic.

You can see the blood draining out of his face.

that’s definitely a rough scene to watch.

1917 certainly isn’t the best war movie ever made. But it’s the best one in a long while (I personally wasn’t much of a fan of Dunkirk). Hopefully it’s success leads to more

Jim Rockford

Bench
There are a whole heap of WW1 movies better than 1917.

eg the Lost Battalion
All Quiet on the western Front
the ANZACs TV series
Joyuex Noel
War Horse

As a bit of a war movie nut, I was disappointed by it.
Some good selections there Spock. I would add Oh! What A Lovely War to that list.

Mr Spock!

Referee

1917 certainly isn’t the best war movie ever made. But it’s the best one in a long while (I personally wasn’t much of a fan of Dunkirk). Hopefully it’s success leads to more

Yeah, Dunkirk didn't do anything for me. Fury was just patent US jingoism of the standard Hollywood 6 Americans take out 1000 Nazis except in a tank.

As for recent war movies Germany and Russia have some decent ones.

Amazon Prime has a good selection.

azzah72

Bench
Some great selections of war movies Here.

I thought 1917 was simple but fully effective.
Thought it was a really good watch and might have been my last cinema experience, I can't remember.

One movie that isn't mentioned that I thought was really good was hacksaw ridge.

Check it out if you haven't seen it, based on a true story and very well done.

Matua

Bench
Yeah like the running scene at the end in 1917.
Maybe if he hadn't have been out for a leisurely stroll and stopped to hear some singing he wouldn't have had to do the dramatic out of the trench run, which was the most spectacular scene of the movie so I understand that it needed to be in there, but lets not pretend it was believable writing.

Matua

Bench

I much preferred Dunkirk even if it made it look like there were barely any people on the beach (it bemuses me that a person can be so in the can for Imax yet shun other technologies).

The streaming services have some lower budget war movies that are decent. I quite liked Siege of Jadotville.

Mark B

Juniors
Amazing how well the ANZAC’s was made. Great WW1 television series. Not to mention Paul Hogan’s larrikin behaviour fitting in so well.
Went and saw Private Ryan at the cinema when it first came out. That first minutes, I am sure everyone in the cinema just sat there with the eyes and mouths wide open in horror. My wife has refused to go to the movies with me since.
It’s Great War movies and series like these that are so important they are made well They will capture parts of history that should never be forgotten.
My top five any war movies/series,
1. Platoon.
2. Saving Private Ryan.
3. 1917.
4. Anzacs (series)
5. Gallipoli
6. Band of Brothers(forgot all about that brilliant series)
Honourable mention to Hamburger Hill and Apocalypse Now (that Air Calvary attack scen e where they finish up surfing is a great piece cinematography, no CGI as would be used these days)

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Some great selections of war movies Here.

I thought 1917 was simple but fully effective.
Thought it was a really good watch and might have been my last cinema experience, I can't remember.

One movie that isn't mentioned that I thought was really good was hacksaw ridge.

Check it out if you haven't seen it, based on a true story and very well done.
Hacksaw Ridge was a great movie...

Mr Spock!

Referee
It's not really recent (1985) but the Russian film Come and See is one of the best war films you will ever see.You will not find a more authentically accurate depiction of WW2.
Fortress of War is on amazon Prime.....It's a fantastic and truly harrowing account of the fortress of Brest-Litovsk in the early days of the German invasion of the USSR. It's right up there with the German movie Stalingrad.

There's no happy ending.

Last edited:

Mark B

Juniors
Fortress of War is on amazon Prime.....It's a fantastic and truly harrowing account of the fortress of Brest-Litovsk in the early days of the German invasion of the USSR. It's right up there with the German movie Stalingrad.

There's no happy ending.

I have to get Amazon Prime. The trailer for that story looks outstanding. People tend to forget the fighting between the USSR and Germany in WW2 and just how brutal it was and the massive loss of life, both civilian and military.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I have to get Amazon Prime. The trailer for that story looks outstanding. People tend to forget the fighting between the USSR and Germany in WW2 and just how brutal it was and the massive loss of life, both civilian and military.
There's quite a few Russian war movies on Amazon Prime.

Latest posts