What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1970's week

Dorsel

Juniors
Southern Shark said:
Like an article in one of this weeks newspapers implied. Modern jumpers are crap, designed by metrosexual Surry Hills marketing types that know nothing about rugby league or its traditions. Sharks and Tigers have thin lies and splashes of colour that look crap from a distance, on television or in photographs. Would love to see the traditional 1970's hooped jumper designed with the more modern and stronger blue we use today. It still is the most distinctive jumper designed and by which Cronulla is widely recognised. Line up all our past jumpers including the 1996 Reebok one that some fool put grey in when its not even one of our colours, again with grey in 1997 SL and the last few ones. Fringe supporters wouldn't know which team any of them belong to. But pull out the hooped jumper and bingo, easily recognised as the Cronulla Sharks.
BRING BACK THE HOOP!

carcharias

Immortal
black_dot said:
Ahhh the sky blue shorts, now THAT was a statement back then ! bring em back !
you could change your name to brown dot and dedicate it to Simmo...cause I reckon he'd have a brown dot with those shorts on.

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
saw this photo from mightys link

70s_changleaps_PORT.jpg

Clowning around: Graeme 'Changa' Langlands leapfrogs Bob Fulton during training in Brisbane 1975.

looks bit like a sharks jersey

the blue shorts sure made a statement... "we look gay"

i don't mind that jersey shown on the official site. you couldn't really expect a jersey today to be identical to the 70's, but they've stayed true to the basics of the original design. the 'LG' looks way better in the white strip of the hoop instead of it's own ugly great box

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
our nominations for 70s team

1970s_steverogers.jpg

Steve Rogers

One of the greatest centres in the post war era, Rogers remains Cronulla's highest ever point scorer. 'Sludge' played 200 games for the Sharks, 19 games for NSW and 21 tests for the Kangaroos. His evasive running and deadly goal kicking made him a crowd favorite and almost brought premiership success to the Shire in 1973 and '78. In 1975 he received the Rothman's Medal and captained Australia in a test against France in 1981.

1970s_tommybishop.jpg

Tommy Bishop

A Great Britain representative, Bishop was renowned for his uncompromising yet deft play. He almost single handedly led a young Cronulla team to their inaugural grand final in 1973.

1970s_kenmaddison.jpg

Ken Maddison

A powerhouse forward, Maddison pipped Ron Coote for the inaugural Rothman's Medal in 1973. A member of the Dragons' 1966 and '71 grand final sides, Maddison joined the Sharks in 1972 and helped them to their first grand final appearance in 1973. Maddison played one match for NSW and four tests for Australia.

1970s_danesorensen.jpg

Dane Sorensen

A New Zealand native, Sorensen remains one of Cronulla Sutherland's most loved sons. A Kiwi representative in 1975, Sorensen played 218 games for the Sharks (third behind Andrew Ettingshausen and Mitch Healy).

http://www.nrl.com/sideline/1970s_pop.cfm
http://www.nrl.com/sideline/1970s.cfm

Mr Sharkie

Juniors
I like our modern jersey but also like that we bring back the retro ones on occassion. Let's hope that the return of 70s jerseys will also mean a return of 70s style biff!

Quigs

Immortal
Mr Sharkie said:
I like our modern jersey but also like that we bring back the retro ones on occassion. Let's hope that the return of 70s jerseys will also mean a return of 70s style biff!

Hear Hear....

p-81.jpg

Cheers
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
Joes Milk Bar said:
Ken Maddison

A powerhouse forward, Maddison pipped Ron Coote for the inaugural Rothman's Medal in 1973.

Mate beg to differ but "our" Terry Hughes won the first Rothmans Medal way back in 1968.

p-hughes.jpg

Maddo was in 73

p-maddo.jpg

68 Terry Hughes Mighty Sharkies
69 Dennis Pittard Souths
70 Kevin Junee Easts
71 Dennis Pittard Souths
72 Tom Raudonikis Wests
73 Ken Maddison Mighty Sharks
74 Graham Eadie, Bloody Manly
75 Steve Rogers Mighty Sharkies
76 Ray Higgs Parra
77 Mike Cronin

(Then me book ran out.)

Cheers
Quigs

Southern Shark

Juniors
All it needs is the blue we use today in our home jumper. How distinctive does it look. Imagine how much sponsors would love their logo on the white band with black bands above and below. Last time they made the jumper, they gave it some weak blue colour that we have never used. Again some marketing fool obviously designed it. If we cannot use todays blue, use the blue we had in 1978, not some light shade of blue. Let the supporters design it, not metrosexual marketing types.

Quigs

Immortal
Joes Milk Bar said:
thanks quigs i just copy pasted that from nrl.com, didnt notice.

No worries old son.....

Hey you like me new pic in my signature,

Just finished it at 8.40pm wed night.... the missus is still screaming at me for waisting my time..

AAAAAHH you can't be married and happy.

Cheers
Quigs

Dorsel

Juniors
For those that love the hoop, the best thing we can all do is buy either the promo jumper the club currently has on offer or the ,78 retro jersey from Classic......if the club see's the hoop everywhere maybe they'll take notice....

fatshark

Bench
This one will do me......

p-rogers.jpg
That was the early 80's that set up maybe even away game?.Blue shorts (socks were next) and the neck was differnent...a more slimline fit. The one Changa is wearing is THE best design. The jumper of the 73 GF with the long arms big daggy colar and warm cosy feel is a REAL footy jumper!

chili pepper

Bench
Dorsel said:
For those that love the hoop, the best thing we can all do is buy either the promo jumper the club currently has on offer or the ,78 retro jersey from Classic......if the club see's the hoop everywhere maybe they'll take notice....

Or buy the version we'll wear next week.